Park Rat Thread

ebarker9

what is the deal with the muddy reroute right before greenhorn/candyland where waterboy ended?

I'm assuming they were trying to make it more beginner friendly and reduce speeds, but yeah...seems like nobody really considered drainage. And I don't know if "come in to awkward uphill, lose all speed, then make left into rutted mud bog" is beginner friendly.

iLuveketchup

Oh I thought I just sucked.. didn't know that small uphill was awkward for other people too. LMAO I just assumed I was taking it wrong. The ruts right before the small uphill doesn't help either.

ebarker9

Oh I thought I just sucked.. didn't know that small uphill was awkward for other people too. LMAO I just assumed I was taking it wrong. The ruts right before the small uphill doesn't help either.

I'm not particularly fast and I definitely slowed up a little riding into it because I wasn't sure what the reroute was, but I had to pedal fairly hard to get up that only to get dumped into the mud.

Overall, the trails are really beat up. I'm not usually one of the people complaining about a lack of maintenance but...yeah, they need to actually do some maintenance.

ebarker9

I particularly like the progression drops. What better introduction to drops than having to negotiate an extremely tight turn completely covered in loose gravel and rocks.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I particularly like the progression drops. What better introduction to drops than having to negotiate an extremely tight turn completely covered in loose gravel and rocks.
I mean…phantom drop is right there and more direct… just send it. Maybe that’s easier than making a small turn into a 12” drop 🤷‍♂️

Let’s also not forget that Trail Crue gets about four weeks to rebuild 50 trails that have been covered in snow since December. They work around the clock…it will get there soon.

ebarker9

I mean…phantom drop is right there and more direct… just send it. Maybe that’s easier than making a small turn into a 12” drop 🤷‍♂️

Let’s also not forget that Trail Crue gets about four weeks to rebuild 50 trails that have been covered in snow since December. They work around the clock…it will get there soon.

Yeah, not speaking so much for myself as "if you want to make features for beginners to practice on, maybe don't make them directly following a sketchy turn".

I definitely appreciate the work that those guys put in, it's just that there need to be more of them. It doesn't seem to be a priority for the owners.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I'm assuming they were trying to make it more beginner friendly and reduce speeds, but yeah...seems like nobody really considered drainage. And I don't know if "come in to awkward uphill, lose all speed, then make left into rutted mud bog" is beginner friendly.
Well they definitely added some fun to what was there before which was just the fireroad down. The uphill and muddy section aren't great but once we learn to carry the speed I think it'll be worth it.

iLuveketchup

The Downhill Southeast race is today and this weekend. Is MCBP open to noobs like myself during the weekend? I don't know want to get in anyone's way.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
It’s open. If you are noobin it you probably wouldn’t be riding much on that side of the mountain anyways.
Rode today. Left side of the mountain is pretty much shut down. Tempest is closed and so is everything else on that side.

Jumps lines are running nice but the berms are jacked up with tons of breaking bumps. Still was a good day and better than sitting at work.

jvrock

Rode today. Left side of the mountain is pretty much shut down. Tempest is closed and so is everything else on that side.

Jumps lines are running nice but the berms are jacked up with tons of breaking bumps. Still was a good day and better than sitting at work.
Wonder why Tempest is closed. That sucks. It was closed opening weekend because of the Spartan race.

02camaro

This...it's George and I think 2 or 3 other guys.

creek is a shame, they charge for parking, charge premium rates for tickets and only have 4ish guys to maintain the entire thing? lets face it, no one is coming for the food....... they (management) need to prioritize the land and trail crew. its been like this for years, the only thing that is regularly maintained is the jump lines, everything else gets touched up maybe once a year and the rest of the time suffers. now this year they are building whatever massive jump chute booter thing just to tickle red bull, so im sure that will take up much of their time. i guess its no wonder esc isnt racing there and they brought in downhill south east racing, what?????? south east racing in NJ, makes sense. look at all the other mountains in the north east, cheaper and better maintained and with a shorter season it is possible.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
creek is a shame, they charge for parking, charge premium rates for tickets and only have 4ish guys to maintain the entire thing? lets face it, no one is coming for the food....... they (management) need to prioritize the land and trail crew. its been like this for years, the only thing that is regularly maintained is the jump lines, everything else gets touched up maybe once a year and the rest of the time suffers. now this year they are building whatever massive jump chute booter thing just to tickle red bull, so im sure that will take up much of their time. i guess its no wonder esc isnt racing there and they brought in downhill south east racing, what?????? south east racing in NJ, makes sense. look at all the other mountains in the north east, cheaper and better maintained and with a shorter season it is possible.
I do agree that many of the gnar lines need to be cleaned up but I think your assessment is a little unfair. $60 for a high speed lift isn’t outrageous, especially when there’s no other options nearby. As far as I know parking is free. The food is pretty good and the beer selection ain’t bad. :D

The terrain is brutal to work with, and with a small crew, impossible to maintain regularly. It’s a lot of work and a shit ton of rocks to move. I’m sure budgets are tight and there isn’t much left to hire more maintainers.

Maybe they need a volunteer program where they trade lift tickets for trail work days?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Maybe they need a volunteer program where they trade lift tickets for trail work days?
There's clearly a profitability issue at creek, at least for the bike park. They just don't have the funds we think they should for trail work and expansion. We see the lift lines and how season tickets sell out each year and assume they must be making a profit, but I guess not. I wish I lived closer to other parks but I'm just not driving that far on the regular.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Any idea when they are opening that side?

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd imagine tempest side of mountain just going to stay closed till the memorial day weekend race so they can limit taping and un taping a course . Still a bunch of stuff that's rideable over there but it's all the steep gnar . Can't wait for the new red bull feature it's already taking shape much excite

Top Bottom