On bike tool storage

TimBay

@Mathers I have an osprey hip pack it has helped my back a lot I am going to get another with a bladder and move my tools and spare parts to a saddle bag so I don't forget a tool moving from bag to bag for larger capacity water res
So far, I dig this frame strap. I wrap my tube around the tool. It has an inner Velcro strap to secure the tube/tools and the outter strap for to secure to the frame. Comes in a variety of colors. Not sure a frame bag is great if you use a dropper.

Granite Rockband Carrier Strap (Turq) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFNTRXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UU.wDbHKSEW1D

The Kalmyk

I want to update this thread with some things I am trying. The more I thought about how awesome it would be to ride without a pack the more I started to absolutely hate my pack. So I pretty much went all in with "integrated tool storage." I went with the OneUp Components EDC system. It's not cheap but it is definitely well made. It has a well-equipped yet compact multi-tool, quick link storage, chain breaker, tire lever, and an extra storage compartment. I was barely able to fit a couple tire plugs, a tire boot and 2 zip ties in the storage compartment. I couldn't decide how I ultimately want to set things up for the average hour-long ride after work so I got the top cap kit and threaded my steerer tube and also bought the mini pump. The tool can be stored in either the steerer or the pump. If the tool is in the steerer the pump has a threaded spot for a 20g CO2 and the pump head doubles as a CO2 inflator. It is actually quite clever. I strapped an inner tube and derailleur hanger to my top tube. I also got the Sahmurai SWORD bar end tire plug kit. It's a clever idea with somewhat shoddy execution. If I had to do that again I would buy a cheap plug kit and epoxy the fork tool into a regular bar end. Of course, the most important part of this whole experiment is the bottle cage. I ride a YT Jeffsy and the configuration of the rear suspension limits the options for a bottle cage. The most water I can carry on the bike is half a liter. I am confident that will be enough for most local rides.

So that's a lot of stuff in/on the bike. I think it's probably overkill and I am sure the items I carry on the bike will evolve over time and change depending on the specific park I am riding. I guess it's an obvious statement but water will be the limiting factor in how well this works. For rides long or remote enough to need more than half a liter of water I have a pack in which I can carry up to 3L of water and also bring a first aid kit.
View attachment 69061View attachment 69062View attachment 69063View attachment 69064

Nice set up. I would suggest that Showers Pass hydration system that goes under that saddle to keep everything on the bike but you would take a hit on how much water you have on you. 3oz on pack vs 1.5oz (close enough) on the SP system.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
So far, I dig this frame strap. I wrap my tube around the tool. It has an inner Velcro strap to secure the tube/tools and the outter strap for to secure to the frame. Comes in a variety of colors. Not sure a frame bag is great if you use a dropper.

Granite Rockband Carrier Strap (Turq) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BFNTRXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_UU.wDbHKSEW1D

I'd be worried taking a spill and tossing everything into the woods. I'm considering buying a sewing machine and making my own bag(I took a class in highschool). I don't like any off shelf solution

TimBay

I'd be worried taking a spill and tossing everything into the woods. I'm considering buying a sewing machine and making my own bag(I took a class in highschool). I don't like any off shelf solution
Nah. It's really secure. I fall all the time and haven't had any issue. If you want to spend a little more, raceface makes one with a pouch. I've seen it on Tim's bike...looks pretty great.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
I've been resisting the trend to ride pack-less. i like that the camelbak gets wet with sweat and keeps you cool. I tried riding without it a couple times and was actually hotter without it, plus water bottles get really warm after not much time. My other major hang-up is that it is really the only safe place to keep your phone away from impacts from crashing and moisture from sweat or rain. That being said, i think the one up components pump and steerer tube tools are really cool and am considering those
Cell phone in plastic baggie in pants or jersey pocket...high-tech, i know! I have actually done that before but i always ride with a camelback and feel weird riding without it. I don't like things attached to my frame, potentially getting in the way, rattling around or falling. And i wont be caught dead with a fanny pack! Integrated tools seem cool though. Maybe someday i'll convert.

ilnadi

When NICA season starts, the load goes up a few fold (bigger first-aid kit, more tubes & CO2, food for bonkers, then helmet liners and hand warmers for the winter, etc., etc.) Most for us have a bigger bag for the season (a few are beginning to look like small hiking packs). I always use the same bike so I was thinking a (n inside the) frame bag. Even a small should carry most of my extras and keep the weight low & off my back. Has anybody had luck with frame bags on FS bikes? I found a few that would fit but it would be good to hear what y'all experienced. The ones on top of the tube seem much smaller and worried about panic dismounts.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Nice set up. I would suggest that Showers Pass hydration system that goes under that saddle to keep everything on the bike but you would take a hit on how much water you have on you. 3oz on pack vs 1.5oz (close enough) on the SP system.

Since I posted that I have changed my setup a little. I no longer carry the pump on short rides in smaller parks. I do carry 2 CO2 cartridges with my tube and derailleur hanger with a Raceface strap on the frame. I solved the problem of not having enough water by grabbing a pair of Zoic bib liner shorts with storage pockets in the back so I can carry another bottle in a back pocket. That works out very well.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I wonder how well that would work with a dropper post and suspension.

@The Kalmyk From their site what is included when this is purchased. FS I don't think would matter since this is isolated onto just the front triangle. The dropper looks like it would be dealt with the "magnetic reel" which in the pics below that it comes with 2 one for the seat post the other for the stem.

1. Quick and easy Installation
  2. 120cm medical-grade, 90A durometer polyurethane tube can be cut to fit most bikes
  3. Dishwasher safe 42oz bottle is fully recyclable, and made of food-grade HDPE
  4. Magnetic reels with 3 -ply nylon parachute cord, tested to over 180,000 cycles
  5. 32 Cubic Inches of storage in the integrated seat bag
1566423514761.png
1566423596062.png
1566423674563.png

Turbotrix

I always wear a hydration pack but prefer to keep the tools on the bikes. I really like the small Wolf Tooth .6L roll top storage pack. Everything I need minus a small tire pump fits and it never moves around.
Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 3.35.53 PM.png

TimBay

@The Kalmyk From their site what is included when this is purchased. FS I don't think would matter since this is isolated onto just the front triangle. The dropper looks like it would be dealt with the "magnetic reel" which in the pics below that it comes with 2 one for the seat post the other for the stem.

1. Quick and easy Installation
  2. 120cm medical-grade, 90A durometer polyurethane tube can be cut to fit most bikes
  3. Dishwasher safe 42oz bottle is fully recyclable, and made of food-grade HDPE
  4. Magnetic reels with 3 -ply nylon parachute cord, tested to over 180,000 cycles
  5. 32 Cubic Inches of storage in the integrated seat bag
View attachment 103217View attachment 103218View attachment 103220
The dropper issue is where the bag mounts to the seatpost. the magnetic thingy is for the tube. Theoretically, you could deal with the loss of that 10-20mm of travel, but is it worth it? You're also creating added resistance through the weight and line of the bag/tube, which I can't imagine is great for a dropper that's probably designed to take into account a certain weight range for the saddle.

Top Bottom