On bike tool storage

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I am very intrigued by some of the tools that incorporate into the bike in some way. I currently ride with a hydration pack and I carry a tube, multitool, first aide kit, quick links, zip ties, a pump, and water. It doesn't bother me too much but I imagine the freedom of riding without a pack.

I am most interested in the Oneup EDC multitool that can be stored in a steerer tube. It has all the tools I would need and seems well made. I would then have a to strap a tube to the frame of my bike. I would be limited to a small water bottle (full suspension bike with very limited space).

There are definitely pros and cons to integrated tool storage vs a pack. A pack would still be necessary on longer rides just to ensure I have enough water if nothing else. Another potential issue would be relying on co2 instead of a pump. A pump never runs out of air but co2 is obviously limited.

Am I missing any big pros or cons? I'd love to hear some thoughts on what everyone else prefers.

qclabrat

seen a few of those gimmicky options through the years and for me it's about the tools. I like my mini tools and know their quality and they also don't need to be a special size to fit in a predetermined space. Depending on the bike I may need to switch out the tube to the right size but usually a 27.5 can be stretched to 29 on a pinch. I always ride mtb with pack regardless if I just have a waterbottle, so know I always have it all together. It's more likely that I leave my helmet or shoe at home by accident, so I leave an extra set in my car. I'm also going co2 for good this year, its not 2010 anymore. Carry a back up manual pump.

DPLEVY

Look into the Camelbak Repack. Its a pack that isnt a pack. It sits around your waist and holds enough stuff for short to medium range rides. Unless you want to risk getting dried horse shit in your water bottle ends, having to wear your hydration in some way is reality.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I haven't carried a tube with me since I went tubeless..... I'm sure that statement will bite me in the ass one day, but after two years the only flat I've gotten was riding a downhill park on like 6 psi and I burped a tire coming around a berm at max speed. That said....I've been trying to ride as minimal as possible. If you have good daily hydration you shouldn't need a ton of water for a 1-2 hour ride. I always carry a crankbrothers multi tool with me whether I'm wearing my pack, in a pocket, or in the back of a jersey. This is where I could see these integrated solutions being very convenient!

Ian F

I've ripped tubeless tires, so I definitely want to carry a tube. That said, I'm torn on the idea of going pack-less. I'm so used to having a pack on my back it feels odd when I don't have one. I am considering figuring out how to fit a tube to each bike so I'm less likely to have the wrong size tube in my pack. Tool-wise, I have a Park mini-tool roll that I've carried for 20 years. So far, I haven't really found a multi-tool that beats it and the roll carrier allows adding a few additional items such as quick links and tire liners. I think I can even fit the new Wolftooth quick-link tool.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Side note - I will always determine what to carry based on ride. If I'm going into the desert our just a long day of solo riding in general I'm always going to bring my pack and whatever I could possibly need... I just think for the daily hour or so rip on your local trail it's totally unnecessary and being able to incorporate some of these little tools into the bike is an awesome idea. Someone I road with recently is popping their end caps off and keeping quick links in their handlebars...GENIUS! I'm all about these little hacks.

Reactions: Tim

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
put tube/tool/patch/co2 in a water bottle, put in water bottle cage on bike.
or get the specific holder for tools that fits in a water bottle cage.

i'm currently experimenting with the pack that is worn on the lower back.
feels ok, looks dorky - giant orange man-purse. from europe.

29r tubes fit the b+ tires just fine too.

DPLEVY

I've definitely gotten a flat while running tubeless. I carry a plug kit, but if you don't catch it fast enough and it goes flat, gooooood luck getting that tire to air back up with a hand pump or co2. I was thankful both times I had a spare tube with me! If you're flat out against wearing anything at all, get one of those awesome straps and put it under your seat. Money in the bank!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
put tube/tool/patch/co2 in a water bottle, put in water bottle cage on bike.
or get the specific holder for tools that fits in a water bottle cage.

i'm currently experimenting with the pack that is worn on the lower back.
feels ok, looks dorky - giant orange man-purse. from europe.

29r tubes fit the b+ tires just fine too.
I has this. Multitool, 2 CO2s, nozzle thingy, quick links, and 2 levers all tucked neatly inside.

rick81721

Lothar
I am very intrigued by some of the tools that incorporate into the bike in some way. I currently ride with a hydration pack and I carry a tube, multitool, first aide kit, quick links, zip ties, a pump, and water. It doesn't bother me too much but I imagine the freedom of riding without a pack.

I don't have bottle cages on my mtb so hydration pack is always on. Pretty much carry everything you listed.

pkovo

I carry water in cage(s) on the bike, and everything else in a relatively small hydration pack with the bladder removed. For me it's about convenience moving from bike to bike. I have everything I need with the least amount of prep time. Only thing I might switch up is which spare tube(s) I carry.

It would be nice to ride without something on my back, but without the bladder full of water, it isn't heavy anyway. If I started stashing tools and parts in nooks and crannies on my bikes, I would inevitably be missing something when I needed it

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I don't have bottle cages on my mtb so hydration pack is always on. Pretty much carry everything you listed.
This is my situation right now. Based on the configuration of my YT Jeffsy the most water I could carry on the bike is half a liter. I am sure that would be enough for the typical after work ride.

This whole idea was sparked by my dropper cable requiring attention during a ride over the weekend. My current multitool doesn't have a t25 so I had to high post it. It's a first world problem for sure but if I am going to get a new multitool I want to get a good one and possibly even solve some other first world problems like carrying that big heavy hydration pack.

mstyer

1525368142936.png

My original intent was to strap a tube under my seat and carry a mini tool, tire plug kit, CO2, and a lever in the Dark Speed Works pack. After some experimentation I found that I preferred using the pack for loose Skratch chews and to carry the tools in the Thule pack. I can easily grab a couple chews out of the pack while wearing full finger gloves and have it zipped back up with maybe 100' of clear trail.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can't say enough good things about the Bontrager fanny pack, with the exception that it's a dorky fanny pack. The fact that I can throw it on and all my tools/spares/etc are inside, and then have some room to shove a small windbreaker or base layer into it along with a spot for an extra water bottle.

I dislike camelbacks due to weight/sweat and not really into drinking from them, I prefer my poo covered water bottle. I'm semi-lucky in the fact that both mountain bikes are 29" so I'm good carrying it for either bike.

In the past I've been a huge fan of the carrying everything on a bike approach (saddle bags usually) but it gets annoying with having to have lots of tools/spares/etc with numerous bikes. I still do that for road however.

BabyRobot

How I carry seems to be ever-evolving. Currently, and this is my favorite set-up so far, I have a tube & co2/nozzle in a backcountry strap on the frame. Im using a CamelBak Chase bike vest. Its quite small, has pockets at the front and sits high enough to use jersey pockets. In the back of the pack I have a 1.5L bladder and first aid kit. In the front pockets I have: multi tool, levers, zip ties, and whatever snacks for that ride. The idea being that I dont have to take the pack off to fix/adjust anything on the bike. If the pack comes off Im injured, out of water, or done with the ride.

Ive also got a High Above Cascade waist pack that works pretty well for short rides, but I find myself using the Chase more often.

Then a bigger CamelBak pack for all-day outings.

Ive been taking cues from marathon XC racing as far as what/how to carry.

Mahnken

This is my situation right now. Based on the configuration of my YT Jeffsy the most water I could carry on the bike is half a liter. I am sure that would be enough for the typical after work ride.

This whole idea was sparked by my dropper cable requiring attention during a ride over the weekend. My current multitool doesn't have a t25 so I had to high post it. It's a first world problem for sure but if I am going to get a new multitool I want to get a good one and possibly even solve some other first world problems like carrying that big heavy hydration pack.

I have the water bottle that they sell for the Jeffsy, it's enough water for an hour or two ride after work. And there's a spot to attach a mini pump to it, though I haven't done that yet.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom