NYS series - Wilson State Park

Pokgirl

Spork
I know Jorbafest is going on this Sat (hope you guys don't get rained out - so you can come up on Sunday! Looks ok so far).

Any Jersey folks coming up this way for the Wilson Park installment of the series on Sunday?

This is the place the Hudson Valley Tri Club trains and races since they closed down Williams Lake.

http://nysmtbseries.com/

guava

I prerode there last week, and it is just awsome. It is a unique and stimulating course. I still hurt from ringwood, but I am looking forward to this one.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Wilson State Park ...

Any Jersey folks coming up this way for the Wilson Park installment of the series on Sunday?

I'll see ya on Sunday Heidi, I've been looking foward to Woodstock since racing there last year in the beginner class. A shame others from NJ most likely won't make the trip to such a beautiful park and race course in the Catskills. Heidi good job on your 3rd place finish last weekend!

RC ... :)

Pokgirl

Spork
Heidi good job on your 3rd place finish last weekend!

Hey, you keeping tabs on me?? :)

I didn't know if anyone wanted to hear a race report from Landmine. It was 26 miles of greasy root and rock garden. And I mean extended rock gardens. Luckily, it was relatively flat, so I could work on the bike handling skills without too much fear of going over the bars. If the front tire slipped, I could catch myself. No major mishaps. I was slowing way down at mile 19.5, and then at mile 23, I saw my next competitor. I had to catch her, pass her, put some space in between us. So that late in the game, back to race pace. Then came another long rock garden, just to kill us. Oh, and then it was advertised as 25 miles, but it was 26! When is this thing gonna end? We came out on to the grass field, I see Dick from NORBA, but no, we are going back into the woods again! What?? That was just cruel! When I finished, I could only hang my head over my handlebars and crawl to some tree to lay in the shade! My 2nd place overall in the R66 series is alive and well. One more race this Saturday!

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
I'll be there, catskill nysmtbseries.com have put on two great races so far and they deserve our support.....

True that, last year's race had this one downhill section that was short but incredibly steep. I remember coming up to it clicking out one foot and skating down it. Just think this year I'll have to go down it twice. Ed Burgess warned us about it and I thought ... how bad can it be? It is a awesome course and worth the trip in my opinion.

Pokgirl

Spork
Free T-shirt

Free T-shirt to the first 75 preregistered - which ends tonight. I love mtn biking T-shirts. I can pretend to be tough!

VanDbtRiver

i missed pre reg. the t shirts are the best i have ever seen. Last year they were american apparel cotton with slammin artwork. i hope they are sim this year, i would pay just to touch one to my cheek. i will be rollin up early tomorrow morn.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
That was a tough race ...

In the Hudson Valley area in NY State we had a few strong storms come thru the region Saturday night. For the Mt. Tremper race near Woodstock, I was affraid it would be a muddy race and with 800 verticle feet of climbing for each six mile lap it would be a tough race. 800 feet of climbing per lap is not all that much, but when the climbs are short and very steep and numerous it made for an interesting 12 mile sport race. To say there were root is an understatement, there were 12 miles of wet, grrrrrrrrrrrrrreasy roots :drooling: There was a fair amount of rocks, but most could be found crossing the 30 foot wide 1 foot plus deep streams that we had to cross twice per lap! The humidity in the deep woods was brutal so crossing the streams gave us a short relieve. Once thru the water we came upon a few sections of long single track cyclocross style deep mud. I thought it was fun and quite hard to stay upright. There were 2 of the steepest downhills I have ever seen, in fear of taking a unwanted trip over the bars and re-fracturing my still healing collarbone I opted to walk down. The 35+ Sport women were combined with the 50+ men. I had a good start, about 1/2 lap in Heidi had past me. She is a strong rider. It was a super fun race, thanks for reading,

C.Puncher

Any word on the old Williams Lake race.........Caves rocks roots......chili post race?
NY is awesome racing.......bring on the info! Williams Lake was near New Paltz.

NJ Jess

nice report

Nice race report,...stinks that it was soooo mud. Hope to ride this place in the future,...would it be easier in winter?

As for Williams Lake. It's all fenced off. The resort/parking area is turning into condos. Doubt they will ever have a race there again, such a shame.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Nice race report,...stinks that it was soooo mud. Hope to ride this place in the future,...would it be easier in winter?

Hi Jess, I think it would be easier riding there in the winter, with the ground frozen traction would be abundent. However the park is in the Catskill Mtns and the temps are frrrrrrrrrrrrrreezing. I'll watch ya ride from the car with a hot cup of coco :D See ya Sunday Jess,

Pokgirl

Spork
As for Williams Lake. It's all fenced off. The resort/parking area is turning into condos. Doubt they will ever have a race there again, such a shame.

From what I recall, the property was sold (or in the process of being sold) a couple years back. That lead the Hudson Valley Tri club to find a new home.

I went searching and found a website against some of the development, for those interested...

http://friendsofwilliamslake.org/

Pokgirl

Spork
another note

About Wilson State Park -

The park itself is fabulous! It turned out to be a great day. My daughter was playing in puddles, then playing with the leaky hose on the bike wash, then the sand in the horseshoe pits, then back to the hose, etc. There was a great pavilion, BBQs going on, dog friendly area, and the bike race ran through this nice grassy area far away from cars, so kids could have freedom to move. It was very family friendly! Plus there is swimming in the pond/little lake during the summer season. Very nice venue!

Top Bottom