NUE 100 in 08

My arm could be twisty to do one of these. I have a history of ultra-distance road events (+/-400Mi). I wouldn't mind trying something on dirt.

I'd be interested to hear which events others have done and their opinions on each.

Last edited:
I've done the Wilderness and it's got a lot of elevation but a ton of fireroads. I've heard the Cohutta is the easiest 100 to do since it's mostly fireroads and not as much elevation as some of the others. Those are all I've heard of.

i plan on doing enough races to be in the series overall.

tentatively, it's looking like these:

Cohutta 100 Tennessee April 19
Lumberjack 100 Michigan June 14
Breckenridge 100 Colorado July 19
Wilderness 101 Pennsylvania July 26
Shenandoah 100 Virginia August 31
Tahoe-Sierra 100 California September 6

tahoe-sierra has a huge purse. i think the ss purse alone is $1000. i'm not sure if i'm gonna do 24hoa. not sure if i'm gonna do any multi-lap races longer than an xc race next year.

Sweet. I'd love to do the Tahoe-Sierra but it would be pretty tough with school starting. Breck might be possible... I've got a bro in Durango I could use as an excuse to be in the area...

I will be doing none of these- but good luck to those who are! I'm planning to be training for a marathon - I can't even say instead because mtn biking 100 miles was never really a thought as it would take me days....lol.... Many have compared riding 100 miles to running 26.2 - thoughts?

Why run when you can ride? All kidding aside go for the marathon. I don't know about the comparison of a marathon to a 100 miler. Kinda comparing apples to oranges. Although I'd take 10 hours in the saddle over running for 5 hours anytime... Get to training and let us know your time!

ellen, there were at least two women over age 60 that finished la ruta this year, which is much more difficult overall than a 100. i think you should do one.

Thanks for the support guys. It isn't that I'm not sure if I can do it. It's more about still wanting to ever race again once I'm done. I was thinking more in the lines of a different format, like stage race or team relay. Most stage races are pretty far away, and I love some of singletrack we have here. hmmm :confused:

I'm turning 50, so I gotta do something. Just not sure about a 100. :cool:

Then do a 50 miler :)
stoopid-working1.jpg

http://www.mtntouring.com/mountain/htm/home/page_home.htm

I've done the Wilderness and it's got a lot of elevation but a ton of fireroads. I've heard the Cohutta is the easiest 100 to do since it's mostly fireroads and not as much elevation as some of the others. Those are all I've heard of.

I did SM100 last summer. I rode with a buddy, we did the entire distance together, huge mental and moral help to do it with someone.
So, who's in?
My plan for '08 is:

Kohuta
Mohican
Lamberjack
Wilderness
SM

I picked them by the distance from my house. Kohuta and Lamberjack being the furthest and thus most questionable.
BTW, I heard the same about Kohuta, sounds like a good season starter.

dz

Back
Top Bottom