Now 26" is really dead

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
so my thoughts, not that anyone cares, is that it's marketing. 29er are killing it. people love them and are running from 26" wheels like santa from the sun. so what now? well, market a new wheel size, that's what. ramp up production, push new products, spin new spin.

this is not to say that i don't think there's a place for it, in fact i think i'd love a 650b FS...i'm also fairly sure i stated that just after the internet was invented. or at least a year ago.

anyway, yeah, there are benefits (as jay has mentioned) so it'll be interesting. lou will be recovered just in time to hop on the band wagon. :D

My thoughts exactly there is no real built-in obsoleteness as there is with computers and appliances so how do they sell or turn over the market? by coming out with a new gold standard....

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
holy holy holy crap that is gold. after reading that i'm going to 24s just to be safe.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
I wasnt gonna tell anyone this but I did have an opportunity to ride a 29er this spring while my quick, corner railing, massive air catching 26 was getting tuned.

Here the deal: 29er sucks cock, period, end of story, not up for debate. If you ride like me, and severly slay corners, and have the front wheel off the ground 40% of the time, and both off the ground another 40%, and push the bars down in turns and huck anything, at all, even worm carcasses, 29er is dumb.

I rode a rumblefish, and it was goofy, didnt accelerate out of a hole shot, front wheel didnt lift as easy as a 26.

I sent it off a few jumps, not little ***** jumps, but real ones. I flat tabled it, it was like trying to fvck a prostitue through a chain link fence, it felt horrible and down rite dangerous. I landed with one leg behind the bike and blew the next set. Their use is limited. I gave it an honest try and my friends ever agreed that Im twice as fast on a 26, and i aint kidding when I tell you I'll rip a fvcking 26 off anything, 29er - not so much.

The 650b is just a gimmick, like 5 hour energy. If you want big wheels just get a 29er, if you want 5 hours of energy, just snort chalk. Im out of this one, once again.

This is the funniest thing I've read in years. Next time I see you I'm buying you a red bull and a 5 hour energy chaser and a section of chain link fence.

I agree with you FFT, but for a different reasons: I demo'd a Town Cycle Rumblefish at Jungle Habitat and it made the place feel like a road ride. It dumbed down the tech and it made the place plumb easy (and I was riding in 1/2" snow). I don't think I dabbed on anything anywhere and I spaz out on *something* on *every* ride; its just how I roll. This may be a selling point for some but I actually like gritting my teeth and making something clean the first time. This felt a bit like cheating.

Anyway, I have a new bike on the way, and sorry folks, its a 26er... and I couldn't be more excited.

Hopefully I can still buy wheels and tires for it this time next year :)

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wasnt gonna tell anyone this but I did have an opportunity to ride a 29er this spring while my quick, corner railing, massive air catching 26 was getting tuned.

Here the deal: 29er sucks cock, period, end of story, not up for debate. If you ride like me, and severly slay corners, and have the front wheel off the ground 40% of the time, and both off the ground another 40%, and push the bars down in turns and huck anything, at all, even worm carcasses, 29er is dumb.

I rode a rumblefish, and it was goofy, didnt accelerate out of a hole shot, front wheel didnt lift as easy as a 26.

I sent it off a few jumps, not little ***** jumps, but real ones. I flat tabled it, it was like trying to fvck a prostitue through a chain link fence, it felt horrible and down rite dangerous. I landed with one leg behind the bike and blew the next set. Their use is limited. I gave it an honest try and my friends ever agreed that Im twice as fast on a 26, and i aint kidding when I tell you I'll rip a fvcking 26 off anything, 29er - not so much.

The 650b is just a gimmick, like 5 hour energy. If you want big wheels just get a 29er, if you want 5 hours of energy, just snort chalk. Im out of this one, once again.

yet another gem from you. keep up the good work son, you're going places!

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I flat tabled it, it was like trying to fvck a prostitue through a chain link fence, it felt horrible and down rite dangerous.

I'm never going to be able to look at a chain link fence again without feeling a twinge of excitement. This officially replaces "stuffing wet spaghetti up a wild cat's ass" as the go-to analogy for ill-advised behaviors.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I'm never going to be able to look at a chain link fence again without feeling a twinge of excitement. This officially replaces "stuffing wet spaghetti up a wild cat's ass" as the go-to analogy for ill-advised behaviors.

Hell, I love my 29er...FFT's comment makes me think I missed out on something in my younger days...chain link fence, huh...:hmmm:

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
this has been one of the most entertaining threads.
FFT, I love you man!

As for the 26 vs 29. You all should know how I feel by now LOL

as for the 27.5, I knew a while ago they were coming out, and I am not sure how I feel about them

As for a 24 inch, HA my daughter is 23, and her old 24" bike she got as a 13 year old still rocks! She took it to Allaire with us and she was amazing on it. Just sayin'

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This may have topped any of his other diatribes, an instant classic. It certainly deserves a Wiki page.

D'Oh

:popcorn:

I got it! I am going to have a custom bike built: 29 in the front 650 in the rear with a trailer rolling on 26. (Trailer to carry chain link fence) I will call it 79r that is going to be the crazy!:hysterica

goldsbar

Great news!!!! ...For bike shop owners and manufacturers. Just another reason to convince the customer they need something else. 26 & 29 both have virtues. Now we need to split the difference? There's still only an ok selection of 29er tires many years later.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Anyway, I have a new bike on the way, and sorry folks, its a 26er... and I couldn't be more excited.

And to think I respected you all these years....:D jk Jeff, congrats on the new ride.

The only "26'er" I'll ever buy going forward is a Fat Bike....jdog, I'll be calling you on this;)

aedubber

I think FFT wins this debate here lol .. I stand by hime 100000% ;) . 26 or 29 , make up your mind.

Also another point to look at is, a 29er wont make you a better rider only YOU can do that.

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Flattered. Thanks a bunch.

you're welcome

BTW...

another brilliant quote:
FFT said:
Im looking for a dirt jump, freeride, hardetaile, downhill bike, with full suspension, and xc wheels, that are both 26 or 29, tricycle, flip flop hubs, depending on rain, or if im going to tow my dog by his nut sack with a device I got on sale from the online bike shop last week, vintage carbon is also a plus, and it needs to taste like a ham sandwich. I have $350 in my budget. Where should I start?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Good stuff fft. People seem to totally exclude dirt jumping and street in making 26 totally dead. 26 is big enough, like stupid big, no reason to go bigger whatsoever.

2Julianas

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'd be really curious to know the bike preference distribution by location...29er may be huge in NJ, but what about out west? France? etc...

FWIW I have a 29er full suspension Turner that I took to Fernie British Columbia last summer, and people looked at me like I was a circus freak. Only 29er on the trails, and the local bike shop hadn't serviced one in a while. So I guess it's not that popular everywhere. I rode all the same stuff as the 26inch people though. The only time I switched to 26 was for the downhill park.

Top Bottom