No More Love Triangle - I quit my job!

I must be nuts since I just put money down on a new bike, but I finally quit my job. It's been coming for a long time and I am so glad.

Now I just have to concentrate hard on the next iteration of my career path...this is going to be fun. I left my last day open-ended to give them time to find a replacement. But I figure by mid-March I will be free to ride for a bit before I have to get serious about searching for something new.

Oh well. School starts in September and hopefully some school district somewhere will need a new English teacher.

Cheers.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I must be nuts since I just put money down on a new bike, but I finally quit my job. It's been coming for a long time and I am so glad.

Now I just have to concentrate hard on the next iteration of my career path...this is going to be fun. I left my last day open-ended to give them time to find a replacement. But I figure by mid-March I will be free to ride for a bit before I have to get serious about searching for something new.

Oh well. School starts in September and hopefully some school district somewhere will need a new English teacher.

Cheers.

good luck! being miserable eight hours a day is no way to spend your life.

well i may be following you right out the door shortly. good luck

what happened? i thought you liked this joint?

SpartaBard

Are you looking to teach in central Jersey, or are you willing to commute up to the Morristown area? If so send me a PM.

Last edited:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Congrats!.

Now you just need a sugar daddy and you can ride all you want! Ron won't mind if you find one sweet enough.. JK..

Good luck and no sweat on the new bike.. Take as long as you need.

j

Congrats!.

Now you just need a sugar daddy and you can ride all you want! Ron won't mind if you find one sweet enough.. JK..

Good luck and no sweat on the new bike.. Take as long as you need.

j

Ron is the one who needs a Sugar-Mama. He has big plans for his Jeep. I will have to hit the lottery big time to keep up with our hobbies!

thanks, j.

~A

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ron is the one who needs a Sugar-Mama. He has big plans for his Jeep. I will have to hit the lottery big time to keep up with our hobbies!

thanks, j.

~A

oh no, not the jeep habit! i hate to tell you this, but that one is WAY worse than bikes...the cost of a suspension is, depending on year and model of course, is MORE than a decent FS bike.

how do i know this you ask? welp, my name is jake, and i have a jeep problem. i'm on my third jeep now (the other three cjs that i "own" are not in any real working order to speak of). i got rid of two perfectly good ones (a 98 cherokee & a mildly modified wrangler) and bought a project 82 scrambler that has two working guages, no radio, a just fixed heating system (if it can even be called a system), rattling, busted doors, a very leaky power steering box and body that not only needs work, but a new paint job. the problem is: i love it. :D

plus my wife made me buy it so this time it's really all her fault.

oh no, not the jeep habit! i hate to tell you this, but that one is WAY worse than bikes...the cost of a suspension is, depending on year and model of course, is MORE than a decent FS bike.

how do i know this you ask? welp, my name is jake, and i have a jeep problem. i'm on my third jeep now (the other three cjs that i "own" are not in any real working order to speak of). i got rid of two perfectly good ones (a 98 cherokee & a mildly modified wrangler) and bought a project 82 scrambler that has two working guages, no radio, a just fixed heating system (if it can even be called a system), rattling, busted doors, a very leaky power steering box and body that not only needs work, but a new paint job. the problem is: i love it. :D

plus my wife made me buy it so this time it's really all her fault.

You and Ron should get together and talk. I know how expensive the Jeep habit is...it started with an OME 2" kit and 31" tires on a 2005 TJ "Willy's" edition and it is going uphill from here, moneywise...new axles, new gears, and more lift for bigger tires.

I do not mind though. I love driving the Jeep and cannot wait to take it out for some serious mudding. Too bad Paragon is closed for good, now. I hear there are some great Jeepin' trails in Ringwood if'n you can avoid the locals...

I may look for a Jeep of my own one day to begin breaking down and building up again. Unless I decide on a GTO instead, I have been given the option of one or the other, off-road or hot-rod.

Either way, as I said, I will have to hit the lottery jackpot tonight (106 million!) to keep up with our hobbies.

NJ Jess

Quit my job too!

Cheers.

Yup, I quit my job on Friday too. Actually, I gave my position to a fellow worker who was going to get laid off since his half of the job was completed. He has 4 kids, his wife, and his mother n law all depending on his paycheck.
I was tired of working 6 days a week anyhow. Besides, I'm skiing in Utah next week, so they would have had to hire someone anyhow.

I've now ridden 3 out of the 4 days I've been home. It's so worth it! I enjoy my job, so it's easier to get out of bed in the morning. But long hours really tires you out physically and emotionally. You teachers amaze me. To be around kids all day and then some of you go home to your own! Good Luck on the job hunt. Maybe now we can find some time to ride together!

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You and Ron should get together and talk. I know how expensive the Jeep habit is...it started with an OME 2" kit and 31" tires on a 2005 TJ "Willy's" edition and it is going uphill from here, moneywise...new axles, new gears, and more lift for bigger tires.

I do not mind though. I love driving the Jeep and cannot wait to take it out for some serious mudding. Too bad Paragon is closed for good, now. I hear there are some great Jeepin' trails in Ringwood if'n you can avoid the locals...

I may look for a Jeep of my own one day to begin breaking down and building up again. Unless I decide on a GTO instead, I have been given the option of one or the other, off-road or hot-rod.

Either way, as I said, I will have to hit the lottery jackpot tonight (106 million!) to keep up with our hobbies.

it all starts simple...a 2" OME lift, 31s. it sounds sooooooo innocent.

then you need new bumpers 'cause the stock ones are poop...not to mention that heavy spare you're schlepping around. i'll bend the tailgate (this is fact, trust me). anyone worth their weight in dirt has a winch...hell, the new warn with the air compressor looks great, right! oh, and that internal cage 'cause jeeps aren't safe in a roll over situation and you're going to be off-camber right? heck, it's just safer driving down the highway! now, about those lockers and gears...hell, may as well swap that dana 35 'cause not only does it have c-clips, but a really weak R&P. D44s are in short supply and expensive...may as well do it right the first time and go with a custom currie 9 inch. have them put in the locker too...and oh, gear it to 4.57 b/c eventually you're going to run 35s. uh-0oooo...now the OME lift needs to be replaced. better look at nth mobility. beautiful stuff. sound familiar? :D

if you are really going to get into that hobby, you need to check bmja.org. they are "local" and organize trail rides in PA that are accessible. i was a member for awhile, went on a couple trail rides (pre-drove the jeep jamboree once...that was cool) and met some good folks. also, the pines offers some pretty good wheeling too...ESPECIALLY if you're into mud!

the scrambler is my last stand. i'm planning on a full resto and never, ever letting it see any more dirt than a fire road. it's actually the perfect car for me b/c it's all jeep and it's a pickup which hauls my bike, firewood, whatever. it's the last car i'll probably ever own.

and make sure you always remember what jeep really means: Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

Last edited:
it all starts simple...a 2" OME lift, 31s. it sounds sooooooo innocent.

then you need new bumpers 'cause the stock ones are poop...not to mention that heavy spare you're schlepping around. i'll bend the tailgate (this is fact, trust me). anyone worth their weight in dirt has a winch...hell, the new warn with the air compressor looks great, right! oh, and that internal cage 'cause jeeps aren't safe in a roll over situation and you're going to be off-camber right? heck, it's just safer driving down the highway! now, about those lockers and gears...hell, may as well swap that dana 35 'cause not only does it have c-clips, but a really weak R&P. D44s are in short supply and expensive...may as well do it right the first time and go with a custom currie 9 inch. have them put in the locker too...and oh, gear it to 4.57 b/c eventually you're going to run 35s. uh-0oooo...now the OME lift needs to be replaced. better look at nth mobility. beautiful stuff. sound familiar? :D

and make sure you always remember what jeep really means: Just Empty Every Pocket. :D

Holy Crap! it's like I am sitting on the couch listening to my boyfriend...you sound just like him. He has built his own custom bumpers front and rear, mounted the Warn winch already, and is vascillating between the Currie 9" and the Dana 44 with 456 gears at the moment. No air lockers, though - going with limited slip in rear and track lok up front. At least that is the plan today. OK 4WD is going to make a lot of money this summer. Slip Yoke Eliminator too, and a 1" body lift for the Tummy Tuck. Nth Degree Mobility is too far out of my price range, I think the current plan is the Rubicon Express 4 1/2" long arm kit. Need new front end disconnect, too.

Then we can think about a full roll cage, 5 pt harness seats, and a custom Best Top, finished off with a set of Poison Spider rock sliders.

did I mention the 12 Volt Guys switch panel and new head unit to integrate XM Radio and the iPod at the same time? I am keeping a tally of things for his Christmas presents this year, I just hope I get the right thing...

I call the dashboard of the Jeep "Mission Control." I told him he should connect a vacuum toilet to it too, like the astronauts have. Then he would never have to get out of it...

G*d D*mn is it a HELL of a LOT of FUN, though.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy Crap! it's like I am sitting on the couch listening to my boyfriend...you sound just like him. He has built his own custom bumpers front and rear, mounted the Warn winch already, and is vascillating between the Currie 9" and the Dana 44 with 456 gears at the moment. No air lockers, though - going with limited slip in rear and track lok up front. At least that is the plan today. OK 4WD is going to make a lot of money this summer. Slip Yoke Eliminator too, and a 1" body lift for the Tummy Tuck. Nth Degree Mobility is too far out of my price range, I think the current plan is the Rubicon Express 4 1/2" long arm kit. Need new front end disconnect, too.

Then we can think about a full roll cage, 5 pt harness seats, and a custom Best Top, finished off with a set of Poison Spider rock sliders.

did I mention the 12 Volt Guys switch panel and new head unit to integrate XM Radio and the iPod at the same time? I am keeping a tally of things for his Christmas presents this year, I just hope I get the right thing...

I call the dashboard of the Jeep "Mission Control." I told him he should connect a vacuum toilet to it too, like the astronauts have. Then he would never have to get out of it...

G*d D*mn is it a HELL of a LOT of FUN, though.

oh boy...if he's thinking like i used to, you're in TROUBLE! good trouble relatively speaking...the kind of trouble that your credit card companies will just LOVE.

if you need any reasonable custom work check out AtoZ fabrication in south jersey. zach is a good guy and does all kinds of stuff. i would seriously consider a selectable locker in the rear. next to the winch, it is literally the best mod you can make: there when you need it, invisible when you don't. ox has come a long way over the past few years too, but the detroits and ARBs are still king as far as i know.

a couple other thoughts: i looked at doing the TT as well but there is SO MUCH more involved than slapping on a body lift i gave up. RE makes great stuff...i'll be putting a 2.5" extreme duty on my 8 along with a JKS body lift. other than that seems to be a sound (and expensive!!) plan.

and oh yeah, it is A LOT of fun!

Jake, you are full of great info. Are you registered on Tri State 4x4 or Jeep Forum? If so what is your handle, I will have Ron PM you for info.

He has thought about going to A to Z Fabrications but is doing most of his own fab at the moment. Sometimes you can have someone else do it for less money and trouble, though.

I think we would be especially interested in finding places to ride trails that are somewhat local. There is no plan to trailer the Jeep to and fro at the moment so most of the OR'ing being done will have to be done in a place where we can get the Jeep there by driving versus trailering.

Thanks for the info. When it comes time to buy him a birthday present you will definitely hear from me...

~A

Top Bottom