NJ Backcountry Skiing Spots????

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Maybe Stephens (Budd Lake side to Kinney), Wildcat (reservoir to bat cave), Dickerson Mine, etc can be shuttled? I dunno it doesn't seem very "backcountry" to me to be shuttling doe.

well, if ya ain't going out with skins and bc setup, it isn't really bc skiing - so i'll agree.
what I really want is gravity without a lift (lines)

pygmypony

Patrick - We have a couple sets of these. I like them better than any skis I've owned. If you like snowshoes, these are snowshoes that glide! They have synthetic skins on the bottom so you can climb, plus you can wear any type of footwear, and the bindings accommodate well beyond my size 14 snow boots.

View attachment 151342
what are these things? i'm intrigued!

Patrick

Staff member
Altai Hoks - I have a set as well. Pretty fun. You can use a hiking boot which is cool, but I would not try any gnarly downhills with a hiking boot. You can put bindings on them so tele boots work too.

Here ya go Dave. Needs BC set-up to get to the DH section - somewhere between my two lines would probably work best.
the straight DH is for this summer - we'll clear a nice trail.

there is 2' of snow in there now. i was post-holing to my knee most of the time.
i'm wiped.

xc62701

i sent you out 2 months ago to get it figured!

i still thinks a couple people could figure out a craigmere shuttle
(would require snowmobile or track vehicle)
Haven’t been there in a while eh? There’s not much of any “slopes” left. It’s all saplings now.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Here ya go Dave. Needs BC set-up to get to the DH section - somewhere between my two lines would probably work best.

there is 2' of snow in there now. i was post-holing to my knee most of the time.
i'm wiped.

I like it!

Snowshoes aren’t a magic bullet - but I’m sure they would have helped. It’s a lot of work either way. The first trip we took was no joke hiking up.

Patrick

Staff member
Haven’t been there in a while eh? There’s not much of any “slopes” left. It’s all saplings now.

i rode up it with Jim - so other than riding down the trail, it could be a problem!!!

xc62701

i rode up it with Jim - so other than riding down the trail, it could be a problem!!!
Exactly the trail is there but really any “slope”. I was hoping when we first did our Cx race there that I could used the slopes. Then I saw that they didn’t exist.

pygmypony

Altai Hoks - I have a set as well. Pretty fun. You can use a hiking boot which is cool, but I would not try any gnarly downhills with a hiking boot. You can put bindings on them so tele boots work too.
i just went down a youtube rabbit hole on their website...they look awesome! sadly my hardshell boot downhill skiing days are done (bad right foot), and i suck on a snowboard...these look like they might be just what i need!

Patrick

Staff member
i just went down a youtube rabbit hole on their website...they look awesome! sadly my hardshell boot downhill skiing days are done (bad right foot), and i suck on a snowboard...these look like they might be just what i need!

Sold out everywhere?

kearneyb

i'm wiped.

Looks like a quarter mile hike in from Murray. See what the weather brings, but I’m game if you want to ski it this weekend.

Patrick

Staff member
Looks like a quarter mile hike in from Murray. See what the weather brings, but I’m game if you want to ski it this weekend.

w/o someone picking us up at the bottom, it is a long hike back! will see who we can find.

Patrick

Staff member
What/whose land is this? Part of Sourlands?

i was only on county land! there is access on the hill with a no-trespassing sign because there is a water tower, but
that area is fenced in. it comes out on east mountain between a couple houses - and it is very obvious where the border is.

check out the somerset county tax parcel viewer.

Top Bottom