New to New Jersey

rufftastic

I moved down to the New Providence area 2 years ago, and finally have been rooted enough to start biking again this year (pun intended the roots here are insane). I've started off at Lewis Morris, and have pretty much conquered these trails thoroughly, maxing out at a few times through the 5.5 mile loop. Am looking to branch out to something a little tougher and longer.

Any suggestions for where I should head next? Also, any weekly group rides in the area I could check out?

Attachments

• 20190729_192538.jpg
    20190729_192538.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 184
Welcome!

Stephen's and Allamuchy may be a great next step for you that is relatively close. Allamuchy will be the much tougher park, but great practice riding rocks. If you want to travel a bit further, Sterling Forest is a new trail system that is a perfect challenge without being too tough with a pretty easy to follow loop.

Chimney Rock (Washington Valley Park) was a great, next step for me when I started riding. Unfortunately it is closed at this time due to some storm damage. Chimeny Rock has a bit of everything and is a great progression park. You can keep an eye on this thread for some fun rides there on Monday's for when it opens back up.

Welcome to the rock garden state! Generally, the further north in the state you go, the more technical and rocky the trails are. Ringwood, Ramapo-tos, wayway, jungle habitat, and sterling are all amazing trail systems that can be quite challenging.

Welcome!
Where did you move from and what are you riding?

I moved from Western Massachusetts, so I used to ride in the Berkshires and Vermont. I ride a Trek Remedy 9.7. Looking forward to taking it over to Mountain Creek one of these days.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'll definitely check out these places you've all mentioned.

I'm actually going to check out 6M today because it's roughly on my route home from work. Any suggestions on best place to park/routes?

Great location to live for a MTB er????????

Chimney Rock is a logical next step. The Orange and Yellow trails ARE open. Park on Gilbride road (uphill start) or Miller Lane. These are the two more technical and vertical of the five trails and are nearby to home.

Fun Mondays are the introductory ride at CR.

Last edited:
Welcome! Dickerson Mine and Wildcat/Splitrock are also close-ish. Up north i'd recommend High Mtn too. Use Trailforks or Maprika to explore new places and also try to join some group rides.

I'm actually going to check out 6M today because it's roughly on my route home from work. Any suggestions on best place to park/routes?
There are two main lots, the Canal lot or rt 27 lot. Whatever one is more convenient from work would be best. There is basically one loop, someone will probably post a link.
Here are details about 6 mile.
https://www.mtbnj.com/w/index.php?title=Six_Mile_Run

Welcome to the rock garden state! Generally, the further north in the state you go, the more technical and rocky the trails are. Ringwood, Ramapo-tos, wayway, jungle habitat, and sterling are all amazing trail systems that can be quite challenging.

I know exactly what you mean - I rode wayway for their off-road triathlon earlier this year. This was before I got my full-sus so I took a beating. They said it was beginner level. My Dad was dying half-way through, "How do they expect us to ride this?" I had a blast, can't wait to go back on my new bike...

If you're going to be in Lenox, then Beebe State Forest in NY is a must visit. It is the best trails near Pittsfield, IMO. It's a 25 minute drive but well worth it. 20+ miles of trails.

There's also a good downhill park not too too far from there - Thunder Mountain.

Back
Top Bottom