New laptop time.

JerseyPete

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Home, but there was an option to upgrade when I logged on.

the biggest gain is that multiple people can use pro concurrently.
there are ways to get the home version to do it, but it requires maintenance when MS does a major release.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
there are ways to get the home version to do it, but it requires maintenance when MS does a major release.
Everyone in my house is on their own laptop anyway. So no problem.

michael23

AMD isn't better than Intel, but a lot cheaper for similar performance. The new Ryzen top of the lines are great. I'd go Ryzen in a desktop gaming build, Intel for laptops.

Defrag does nothing for SSDs.

Microsoft Surfaces are junk.
I have been using AMD processors for the last 6-7 years for my gaming computer and they have been performing very well. At the moment I have AMD Ryzen 9 5900X processor with 12 cores and 24 processing threads and it has been working great even for the most demanding games.

BananaFred

NVME drives are 4 times faster. Store operating system and games on those drives and store doc's on SSD. Will make a bigger difference than the processor.

Karate Monkey

NVME drives are 4 times faster. Store operating system and games on those drives and store doc's on SSD. Will make a bigger difference than the processor.

Does anyone else remember when SSD's were dummy expensive for a "100"GB drive, and everyone said to just put your games on it?

Now I find out that 'card' mounted drives have come down to an affordable price? WTF happened?

johnbryanpeters

And that Windows Professional installations do not come with a dozen crapware applications also installed...

I run Pro on everything, but it was my profession for decades...

serviceguy

I believe you need 3rd party se to do that, as of now MS limits 1 concurrent RDP session on W10 pro/enterprise (if a second user logs in you get a print and your session is frozen) no RDP on home. It’s a license limitation, the OS is capable of doing it. Maybe you were thinking of windows server?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I believe you need 3rd party se to do that, as of now MS limits 1 concurrent RDP session on W10 pro/enterprise (if a second user logs in you get a print and your session is frozen) no RDP on home. It’s a license limitation, the OS is capable of doing it. Maybe you were thinking of windows server?
RDP Wrapper. Free, works, and a couple guys are supporting it

It could blow up with the next major release. It supports multiple concurrent RDP sessions by the same user, or in single thread mode moves the current session when logging in from a different point

qclabrat

Wow, more than 4 years life expectancy for a computer? We've been upgrading about every 3 years. Same for phones, that's the scam, new OSs are designed to basically kill older computers. I been using my slide rule and abacus lately...

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shit my desktop was built in 2013 and still works great with win 10..... granted i built a pretty high end system for that time

serviceguy

Shit my desktop was built in 2013 and still works great with win 10..... granted i built a pretty high end system for that time
I built mine in 2007, I would lie if I were to claim is fast but it still works. I even finally got the driver update for the DeNovo Edge keyboard that kept freezing on me on very other startup. The biggest limitation that will probably force me to update later this year is the already maximized RAM at 8GB. Will recycle the cabinet though, unless I finally go for a laptop.

ekuhn

I been using my slide rule and abacus lately..
After getting drunk one night - my get rich scheme in college was to run a college class using these two devices only. I would then have the market locked up in selling both of the slide rule and abacus (Amazon was only a book store back then).

Top Bottom