New laptop time.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I figure with all the sales going on now is the time to replace my aging Dell. It's just too slow since Windows 10.

I need something with a numeric keyboard so that eliminates most if not all tablets. Using it for internet and I tend to keep way too many tabs open. Using it for some work, hence the need for the numeric keyboard.

I have a hard time keeping a laptop for more than 4 years without it just getting too slow. Mine takes a good 10 minute to start up even with almost every program turned off. I'm hoping SSD will be faster. Not sure what spending more than $500 really gets me. My current laptop has plenty of memory, but it's still slow as shit.

Anything I should be looking for? This Lenovo looks good, but not sure.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
chromebook.

what native apps do you run in windows?

you can also use the chromebook to access a windows machine (true RDP, not desktop sharing)

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I got my macbook air for $699 through costco this time last year. Starts up super fast and the battery lasts. I’m over PCs.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
chromebook.

what native apps do you run in windows?

you can also use the chromebook to access a windows machine (true RDP, not desktop sharing)
Ok. 5 minutes of research done. What's the benefit of a Chromebook over a laptop?

SmooveP

I recently got a Lenovo. SSD is nice. It has a touchscreen, which I wasn't sure about, but I dig it. It's better for navigating than the touchpad for some things, like maps or other graphics. Not a fan of the gold-ish colored keyboard, though. Wish I got black for the better contrast when typing under poor lighting.

Patrick

Staff member
Ok. 5 minutes of research done. What's the benefit of a Chromebook over a laptop?

extremely fast boot time, quick loading native apps.
all things google integrated
chrome is extremely quick on a chromebook (or chromebox)
data goes into the cloud more quickly than googledrive vs onedrive
can get to your stuff through a browser when you don't have your chromebook with you.
if it crashes, or gets run-over, or whatever, just pick up a new one, and you are
right where you left off.

bad
the version of microsoft office is somewhat hobbled. it doesn't have all the goodies.
same with excel - but if you use the google version of these tools - they are robust.

i run my bookkeeping software on my son's gaming computer (dell omen) - mostly cause i don't want
a subscription version (QB online or Xero) - i will use surepay.com for payroll - QB is too expensive.
access it through Xtralogic RDP client. He can be gaming, while i'm logged in with my own windows desktop.

PS
get a bluetooth keypad that doubles as a calculator.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
extremely fast boot time, quick loading native apps.
all things google integrated
chrome is extremely quick on a chromebook (or chromebox)
data goes into the cloud more quickly than googledrive vs onedrive
can get to your stuff through a browser when you don't have your chromebook with you.
if it crashes, or gets run-over, or whatever, just pick up a new one, and you are
right where you left off.

bad
the version of microsoft office is somewhat hobbled. it doesn't have all the goodies.
same with excel - but if you use the google version of these tools - they are robust.

i run my bookkeeping software on my son's gaming computer (dell omen) - mostly cause i don't want
a subscription version (QB online or Xero) - i will use surepay.com for payroll - QB is too expensive.
access it through Xtralogic RDP client. He can be gaming, while i'm logged in with my own windows desktop.

PS
get a bluetooth keypad that doubles as a calculator.
Since all my suppliers send excel spreadsheets will they be a pain to use?
Can you run Turbotax and iTunes?
Bluetooth keypad won't work because i actually use this on my lap while on on the couch. Don't feel like balancing multiple devices.

Patrick

Staff member
Since all my suppliers send excel spreadsheets will they be a pain to use?
Can you run Turbotax and iTunes?
Bluetooth keypad won't work because i actually use this on my lap while on on the couch. Don't feel like balancing multiple devices.

iTunes is complicated on a chromeos device. It runs using a windows simulator. I haven’t tried

TurboTax online !

google sheets can read excel files. That can be tested before using sheets in chrome browser.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
iTunes is complicated on a chromeos device. It runs using a windows simulator. I haven’t tried

TurboTax online !

google sheets can read excel files. That can be tested before using sheets in chrome browser.
As my wife always complains. Seems like you have to make a lot of compromises for something that is supposed to make your life easier. Her exact words "technology sucks."

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
have you tried just putting a SSD in your existing laptop? we did this with my wifes laptop several years ago and it made a huge difference, we did it again with her new one about year after we bought it and again, huge difference, buy drive, clone drive (many come with cloning software) install, go.

Bike N Gear

Shop Keep
have you tried just putting a SSD in your existing laptop? we did this with my wifes laptop several years ago and it made a huge difference, we did it again with her new one about year after we bought it and again, huge difference, buy drive, clone drive (many come with cloning software) install, go.
Not taking this thing apart again. Been inside for too many random issues. It's gone, it's just a matter of what I replace it with.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I made my way through college on a chromebook, I love them but tbh unless they're cheap cheap.

Like @shrpshtr325 said try an SSD, maybe additional ram as well. 8 or 16gbs and 240 ssd will take you a long way. its also easy to do.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not taking this thing apart again. Been inside for too many random issues. It's gone, it's just a matter of what I replace it with.

its your call, if your replacing it make sure to get one with a SSD and a decent amount of ram (8 is the minimum, 16 is better) and you should be all set.

not sure if its true anymore, but last time i bought a laptop it was typical to stay away from AMD processors bc they run hotter than intel, nothing really wrong with either just something to keep in mind while shopping.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
its your call, if your replacing it make sure to get one with a SSD and a decent amount of ram (8 is the minimum, 16 is better) and you should be all set.

not sure if its true anymore, but last time i bought a laptop it was typical to stay away from AMD processors bc they run hotter than intel, nothing really wrong with either just something to keep in mind while shopping.

AMD is better performance per dollar

serviceguy

I went thru college carrying boxes of punch cards.
Whatever you do make sure to keep the rubbish under control (internet cache, temporary files, defrag etc.) as well as run some registry cleaner every now and then. I run a five years old, windows 10 laptop at home and have no issues. I also always go for the top Intel processor, 1 or 2 generation from the newest. I would agree with everybody else that SSD makes all the difference (just don’t get tempted by hybrid SSD because they’re worse than mechanical drives).

Top Bottom