New laptop time.

Fat Trout

I figure with all the sales going on now is the time to replace my aging Dell. It's just too slow since Windows 10.

I need something with a numeric keyboard so that eliminates most if not all tablets. Using it for internet and I tend to keep way too many tabs open. Using it for some work, hence the need for the numeric keyboard.

I have a hard time keeping a laptop for more than 4 years without it just getting too slow. Mine takes a good 10 minute to start up even with almost every program turned off. I'm hoping SSD will be faster. Not sure what spending more than $500 really gets me. My current laptop has plenty of memory, but it's still slow as shit.

Anything I should be looking for? This Lenovo looks good, but not sure.

I bought a MS surface laptop 2 about 2 years ago on a friends reco and have liked it a lot. Check out the surface laptop series if you have not already.

johnbryanpeters

Whatever you do make sure to keep the rubbish under control (internet cache, temporary files, defrag etc.) as well as run some registry cleaner every now and then. I run a five years old, windows 10 laptop at home and have no issues. I also always go for the top Intel processor, 1 or 2 generation from the newest. I would agree with everybody else that SSD makes all the difference (just don’t get tempted by hybrid SSD because they’re worse than mechanical drives).
Windows 10 defragments behind the scenes... Registry cleaners are not useful.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whatever you do make sure to keep the rubbish under control (internet cache, temporary files, defrag etc.) as well as run some registry cleaner every now and then. I run a five years old, windows 10 laptop at home and have no issues. I also always go for the top Intel processor, 1 or 2 generation from the newest. I would agree with everybody else that SSD makes all the difference (just don’t get tempted by hybrid SSD because they’re worse than mechanical drives).

DO NOT defrag a ssd just wastes write cycles on the flash memory and itndoesnt help anyhtng since no moving parts

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
AMD isn't better than Intel, but a lot cheaper for similar performance. The new Ryzen top of the lines are great. I'd go Ryzen in a desktop gaming build, Intel for laptops.

Defrag does nothing for SSDs.

Microsoft Surfaces are junk.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The OP needs a laptop to run Excel and TurboTax and you nerds are arguing over whether he should go with an AMD or Intel CPU. I love this place 🤣

so chromebook with a google cloud virtual machine should do it?

drop $700 on a Lenovo and good to go
Think In terms of $10/month for the hardware and don’t look back!!!!
There are versions with the keypad.

w_b

My wife got a chromebook, and has not looked back. I need to run Solidworks, so not an option.

serviceguy

Whoa, I needed an update on HD health. I guess I was set on my old ways. Sorry for the bad piece of advise.

THATmanMANNY

my FIL is the king of nuking his laptops with bloatware and clicking on ads
he just texted me about a new PC
I SAID CHROMEBOOK CAUSE we can't deal with your BS anymore. About every 6 months he is on phone with someone and gives them access to PC and some personal info and then realizes WTF is going on. The man is unbelievable.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
my FIL is the king of nuking his laptops with bloatware and clicking on ads
he just texted me about a new PC
I SAID CHROMEBOOK CAUSE we can't deal with your BS anymore. About every 6 months he is on phone with someone and gives them access to PC and some personal info and then realizes WTF is going on. The man is unbelievable.
Get back to me when he gives away over $70k to make believe friends on the internet. My mom got your FIL beat.

Top Bottom