New bike recomendations

betta285

I'm looking for a second bike, but I don't even know where to start. I'm really happy with my Hardrock, but I keep that at Rutgers, leaving me without a bike on weekends and Wednesdays, when I go back home to work. I'd like to keep it under $500, I don't need anything serious. whether I get a newer Hardrock or HRXC from Specialized, or whether to try a Trek, Giant, GT, If i can even get one in my price range. Are Disc brakes a possibility, or do i need to dig deeper into my pockets for that?The trails are pretty good around my town, not to agressive, but quick and of course I'll be doing a bit of street riding. any suggestions, and I appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Jim

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
I'm looking for a second bike, but I don't even know where to start. I'm really happy with my Hardrock, but I keep that at Rutgers, leaving me without a bike on weekends and Wednesdays, when I go back home to work. I'd like to keep it under $500, I don't need anything serious. whether I get a newer Hardrock or HRXC from Specialized, or whether to try a Trek, Giant, GT, If i can even get one in my price range. Are Disc brakes a possibility, or do i need to dig deeper into my pockets for that?The trails are pretty good around my town, not to agressive, but quick and of course I'll be doing a bit of street riding. any suggestions, and I appreciate the help!
Thanks,
Jim

If you can swing around $600 I would grab a Haro Ally SS.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/07_mtb.pdf

olegbabich

walmart $60.00
0003867544469_500X500.jpg

NJ Jess

where do you ride?

Unless you ride 6 mile at Rutgers, I would put a cheapie at school and ride the Specialize at Allaire and Winding Trail. Try craigslist, central south for some options.

betta285

yeah, I've been looking at craigslist, but nothing really that catches my attention. I have been riding the Rutgers Preserve and might venture to Allaire or six mile one afternoon afterclass, so i'd like to have something decent in both locations. I'd snatch that up in a minute form you, gtluke, but I'd really like a 19 inch frame, (I'm 6"1 and 190 lbs)

T

trek686

I just snatched up a Raleigh Mojave 5.0 off craigslist from some guy in Belmar for $225. Deals are out there you just have to check everyday.

BTW, go knights. I just graduated in May. I miss New Brunswick so bad. My little bro and my gf are both still down there. Which campus are you on?

betta285

wound up just picking up an '08 Hardrock Sport and it seems like a real nice bike. can't wait to trail it this week.

Trek686, I'm on College Ave this year, Livingston last year. I love it. You familiar with the preserve trails?

jim

rlb

I'll hijack a bit more haha....I graduated RU (Cook) in 04 and I wish I was into mtb then, I could have been riding 6 mile all those years. One reason I bought a bike was to get back into some physical activity. Getting a job and sitting behind a desk 8+ hrs a day = a spare tire you never had before. Anyway, I miss RU a lot; it was so much fun. Went to the grease trucks a few weeks ago w/ my GF and 2 other people that had never been and those bastards were "out of bread" so we didn't get anything. Eating horrible food while drunk at 2am and wearing half a fat bitch is better than a 40 hr a week job nearly any way you cut it. Wow I sound old.

F

FSTYLE

I'm just getting started with MTB and I need to decide on my first bike to try the sport out.

Do you think that Walmart Roadmaster would be good choice. If I like it I can they but a more expensive bike.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm just getting started with MTB and I need to decide on my first bike to try the sport out.

Do you think that Walmart Roadmaster would be good choice. If I like it I can they but a more expensive bike.

all i can tell you about the walmart bikes is this: if something breaks (and if you plan on really riding, something will) it will cost you more than the bike is worth to fix it. at that point you may realize you just threw your hard earned money out the window. if you can't swing a new bike there are deals to be had on craigs and ebay. just look around.

F

FSTYLE

Thanks Fish. I will stick with CL. I was also thinking of the WalMart Schwin for $200.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
betta285, you go to Rutgers and you didn't stop by Efingers?! We sponsor you guys and give killer discounts!

If you ever need service or anything come on by :D

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
And FSTYLE, stay away from Wal*Mart. Seriously.

A Wal*Mart Schwinn is different from an IBD (Independent Bicycle Dealer) Schwinn. The Schwinn's you see in Wal*Mart are all cheap, heavy, and built by the same people who built your BBQ grill. Next time you're in Wal*Mart, pull a bike out, put the front wheel between your legs and turn the handlebar. See if you want to by the bike then.

All bike shops have close-outs on various bikes. A few of our bikes are posted here: http://efingersports.com/store/cycling/sale_bikes.htm.

If you're willing to spend at least $350, you can be on a real bike from an actually bike shop. :D

al415

Banned

Hello. Another thing about department store bikes is that they provide a very unpleasant off-road ride. These bikes are generally so dysfunctional and poor that they could put you off MTBing before you ever really try it!

F

FSTYLE

Thanks for setting me straight guys. I will be back asking for more help.

Top Bottom