My trek from middling Cat 3 roadie to MTBer

thegock

Either side is fine, if you call your pass and it's safe.

I usually just ring my bell when I see a shot or ask.

echappy

SIZZLER RACE REPORT:

Overall I was happy with the outcome. I finished 9th of 32 starters. The course wasn’t too technical, but the single-track was very tight and difficult for me to really drill it. I am now very confident in being able to compete for a top position at this level and I’m excited about Peter Pounder and the possibilities there. I need to get a few things right there.

Now, a quick breakdown. It was a pretty big week and a 9 hours travel day tucked in there. I managed the heat fairly well (10:30 start), but had a classic case of not realizing I was running as well as I was. I wouldn’t say I let up, but it is difficult to really suffer if you don’t think you’re fighting for a top placing. Got to the start line first, but ended up 2nd row after getting reshuffled for the various fields starting. Uncharacteristically, I didn’t have the zip at the start. Wanted to be among the first to the single track, but just couldn’t. I’m guessing I was 10-15 back though it seemed further. Got stuck in traffic. The first 2/3 lap was easy. I was losing ground due to riders in front of me, though I passed a few by that point. Then I made a bonehead pass attempt on a hill, the guy came over on me and I had to dismount and run the hill. Right after the hill was beautiful double-track that I could’ve passed a lot of guys had I known the course. Instead I lost 4-5 spots. Next lap and a half was uneventful. I passed a few, got passed by a couple. Late the 3rd lap I was held up behind a single speed rider. I should have pressed him to let me by, but I didn’t think it was a big deal. With about .5mi to go 3 riders came up and called out to pass. I let them through without a fight because I thought they were in a different race. Turned out they were in my race and I lost 3 positions in the last half mile. In short, I had a decent ride, but two big mistakes – 3 if you count the start – kept me out of the top 5-6 riders. Disappointing, but I’m very confident in my ability to compete with the Cat 2 field.

Following this thread, as I'm in sort of a similar boat as you are. I'm also a recent convert from road racing, and incidentally, I think we raced together in my last road race (2016 Jersey Devil). Your travails as described early in the thread, I can so relate to them. A few fine folks around here have seen me unclip on gnarly switchback descents, etc.

Do you think your CX experience helped you acclimitizing to the needs of MTB riding? Also, what skills did you feel were most important to pick up early?

Good luck with the remaining races!

Jeffreywoliver

Following this thread, as I'm in sort of a similar boat as you are. I'm also a recent convert from road racing, and incidentally, I think we raced together in my last road race (2016 Jersey Devil). Your travails as described early in the thread, I can so relate to them. A few fine folks around here have seen me unclip on gnarly switchback descents, etc.

Do you think your CX experience helped you acclimitizing to the needs of MTB riding? Also, what skills did you feel were most important to pick up early?

Good luck with the remaining races!

Jersey Devil. I really like that race. It’s a little too much climbing for me. I think I finished back of the field and stayed with the peleton 10 of 12 laps in 2016. I was in great shape, but it was a bit too far. I’m more of a crit guy. A tweener. I sprint better than climbers and climb better than sprinters. I could be a solid domestique. I can ride with most any group without getting dropped, but can’t Break away alone for shit.

My motivation for focusing on MTB was multi-faceted.

First, I’ve been racing road since 1997. Even training very well since 2016 it was clear I had peaked out there. Spent 6 months training for State Crit Championships only to go into final turn in about 5th or 6th place (perfect position) only to get taken out. See photo attached. With my skill set, crit racing is a bit of a crapshoot. I’ve finished 2nd through 10th, in big fields, but never won on the road in 20 years of racing.

Also, in 2016 a couple of my buddies crashed hard at Ronde van Mullica through no fault of their own. I managed to not crash for 19th, but my buddies had had enough road racing. I got tired of taking on a lot of risks riding mostly solo without teammates.

Next, I’ve ridden cross a few years now. Last year was the first year I focused on it in the Cat 4/40+ field mostly. Had a lot of good results and a lot of fun. My weakness there, too, was technical skills. CX, I think, has a lot more Roadies, so I think there is some real speed, but tech skills seem to be the great equalizer. I started last row and finished ~40/100 at Nittany CX #2 last year - 3 legit crashes. I almost stopped there, but focused on practicing my cornering, dismounts/mounts and did an assload of grasslaps at the park in High Bridge and at Vorhees HS (even got chased out by the AD on a gator once, LOL). Had a lot of fun with CX.

That in a nutshell got me thinking about MTB.

I honestly thought that I would do well in endurance on fitness alone versus MTBers. Thought it would override my limited tech skills. Well, that didn’t turn out to be true. I got smoked at Ringwood (5:10) and WayWay (4:00+) and Mooch (4hrs and I didn’t even bother with another lap). But at Mooch I realized my laps were mid pack with the Cat 2 XC field, so I switched of to XC and I like that a lot better. I feel more like I’m in a race than just suffering.

I guess the things that have helped the most have been tubeless tires and just learning to trust the bike. It will just ride over a lot of shit. I rode very tentatively, but won Cat 3 at Hop Brook; rode with the Cat 2 guys and won Cat 3 at Iron furnace and put a lot of pressure on myself to win wire to wire at Bear Creek, so that I could upgrade on a high note.

Now I’m just focused on trying to compete with the Cat 2s. That’s a bigger nut to crack. Maybe we’ll be racing together on MTB soon.

BTW, what’s your name ecappy?

Attachments

• 29459301-B3F4-42DC-A1F4-E88B626E58F2.jpeg
    29459301-B3F4-42DC-A1F4-E88B626E58F2.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

echappy

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. And holy s***, that photo encapsulates the very reason why I quit mass-start road racing! Ironically enough, I lost four front teeth in my fifth mass start race (Rockleigh crit), and somehow I was foolhardy enough to keep on at it for another six years. I had to take some time off after 2016, and that really made me rethink about priorities and safety. As you mentioned, just ain't worth it, despite the fact i miss the whole poker-on-wheels aspect. I still ride my road bike, but I haven't done a real road ride in almost a year, having done the majority of my rides on zwift...

Would you be continuing with CX in the fall? I would imagine your handling skills would have been sharpened by the MTBing that you'd probably be at the forefront of your field when it comes to handling?

Jeffreywoliver

One other point that I think is important. Take the time and enjoy your wins. I guess it’s packed in my post above somewhere, but to be very direct. Don’t let folks push you upward too fast. Take the wins you want to take and move up when you’re ready. Eventually, we all top out - well most of us do - and the wins will be hard to come by.

On the road I moved from 5 to 4 asap because I didn’t want to be a “Cat 5” racer. I went to Cat 3 on a string of solid top 10s and podiums, but I should have stayed a Cat 4 and won some races. Back then you had to point up and points reset every year. Now Cat 3 is a little easier to achieve, but is a pretty tough field; especially in NJ where you’re often thrown in with the Cat 1/2 guys. So if you get your chance to win in Cat 3 MTB ignore that stank eye and take your wins!

P.S. I hope MTB helps a lot with my CX racing, though I’m a southern boy, hate the cold and got lucky with a mild cx season last year.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I hope MTB helps a lot with my CX racing, though I’m a southern boy, hate the cold and got lucky with a mild cx season last year

April and early May MTB racing should have given you an idea of what cx will be like.

Jeffreywoliver

Feeling that positive nervous tension and excitement before the race tomorrow. I get this feeling before every race that feels sort of important to me. It’s usually a good sign. It is intense on the line, but subsides about 90 seconds after the start. Can’t wait to race. About to go hit my pre-race workout. Mostly aero with probably a few openers and enough tech to try and dial in my tire pressure. I’ve ridden enough now, to think that I need to add a little stiffness to my rear suspension and maybe raise my saddle a smidge, but that will have to wait at this point. The field size done swole up over the last 2 days. Decent sized field. I like the course - well most of it. Wish I knew who to keep an eye on, but I’m just gonna ride my race and see where it goes.

Jeffreywoliver

Happy with 4th place today. I really wanted a podium, but those guys ahead of me were just too strong to catch. Team Bulldog did a great job with course prep and all of the obstacles were removed. Was happy that the widow maker was removed. I was hoping to get into the woods a little closer to the front. The call ups got a bit mixed up and I went into the woods probably 10-12th. I kept it cool and just tried to start picking off riders as safely as possible on the slick rocks and roots. Made good progress through the field on the first lap. Caught a fair number of riders from the race ahead of me along the way. Might have waited behind 1-2 guys a bit longer than I should have, but they were going well and I figured it helped to follow a bit. Was literally 10 feet behind Fedor at the top of the climb and then he just vanished. Second lap I was a bit more free to chase hard because there was less traffic and most of the course was a bit tackier. Only felt like I made a few mistakes today. Fought off the urge to ease up for the most part. Cut a minute or so off of my lap time and turned a time not far off those ahead of me on the podium. All in all it was a good effort. I really wanted a podium though. Some strong bike racers today, so I’m happy with my result.

Jeffreywoliver

That’s a wrap to my first full MTB season. Gotta say, I’m pretty happy with how things turned out.

Solid race today! I was super stoked to finish in 2nd place. I was pretty stressed out pre-race. Always a little tougher when you’re flying blind. Bulldog Rump was the only race I’ve done this year having ridden the course in advance. Everything was new to me. Told Coach Ken on Wed that I was going to podium. I was close at Bulldog after a poor start, so I new I had a chance. I was a little worried about the short nature of the course; especially if I got another bad start. This was the first MTB race my kids have come to, so I had a little added motivation.

Was stoked to see that the race started on the road and with a small hill to boot. Got a great start front row and 3rd into the woods. Rick, Fedor and I had a super fast start. All was going well and we got a decent gap in the first mile or so. Fedor made a small mistake on one techy cllmb, and being right on his wheel the added pressure didn’t help his remount or my patience. I get bitchy mid-race, sorry Fedor. We got going again, but we lost our gap. Rick was pulling away after that. I figured I needed to calm down and manage my energy for a counter when it came. There were several of us together at that point. Eventually, I was able to pass and push ahead, but could hear a couple of guys on my wheel. We were slugging each other for a couple of super hard miles and brandy passed me soon and took the lead in this group.

Brandy and I hit the lake going fast. He had passed me a bit earlier and I was just hanging on his wheel hoping for a chance to counter. He went left and I followed. He went DEEP into the muck and hand to dismount. Thought I had him then, but went left into knee deep water myself and got bogged down. Continued to follow up another muddy, rocky climb and noticed at the top that Brandy's tried looked a little squishy. Thought it might be going down. I knew it was very soft, so I passed him at the crest and just gassed it. Brandy did me a solid there, thanks.

Heard one rider on my wheel when we hit the long skinny. Not sure who it was, but he cried out, "oh, shit, I suck at these." Got ya! I heard him fall off immediately and I gassed it again. I was waiting to hear him fail after the bold self-fulfilling prophesy. I'm assuming that it was James from CycleSmart because he, too, was pressing me hard. I suck at skinnies too, but I decided I was gonna thrash this one, since I knew the rider behind me decided he wasn't.

Soon we caught @MadisonDan who let me pass. I heard - I assumed James - make another mistake and then I gassed it hard again. Soon I saw the 2 to go sign and managed my effort to stay ahead to the finish. It was a great way to finish the season.

So this year I learned a lot and had a bunch of fun. Got whipped in the Endurance field, won 3 Cat races and placed 9th, 4th and 2nd in three Cat 2 races this year. Thanks for all the advice and course descriptions, etc. Now I'm looking ahead to CX. Hope this year of mountain biking leads to some gains on that front.

Last edited:

Jeffreywoliver

Almost time for some CX racing. I’m ready to get on it. I’ve registered for the Cat 4/40+ at Whirleybird and Nittany #2. I’ve been training pretty well and am hoping to carry some good fitness into the season. Had a great season last year. Didn’t have any wins last year, but steadily improved and won the NJ Championship with a 3rd placed podium. Hoping to see some improvements after riding MTB this summer and maybe even make the top step. I’d like to try and defend the championship in style and then consider upgrading. Anyway, that’s the goal. We will see how it all shakes out. I’m going into the season with a lot of confidence and hoping for the best. Say, wasn’t there a separate Cyuclocross Thread on this board somewhere?

Jeffreywoliver

Whirlybird CX - Raced Cat 4/5 40+. Got a very bad start when the dude in front of me botched his start. I came unclipped with both feet. Chased back to 8-10th place before the first downhill section. Had the leader clearly in sight and just picked my way up to third before the peanut butter forest. Was on the wheel of number two until we got caught up in traffic in the woods next time around. I got gapped at that point, but rode it out for 3rd place.

Nittany CX - Solid race day. I raced the Cat 4/5 40+. Posted a bit elsewhere, so I’ll keep it short. Got a decent start, but not great. Was probably 7-8th, but stayed patient through the mud hole. Tried to move up best I could through traffic from there. Traded a few spots throughout the race. Actually thought I was running fifth, so I lost a little focus in the 4th lap. Had “#4” in sight, but far enough I didn’t really work for it enough. Rolled in for what I thought was 5th only to learn that I was 3rd and missed the podium celebration.

Town Hall CX - Raced the Cat 3/4/5 40+. This was a brutal course, but I really liked it. Gotta say I rolled to the start without a ton of confidence. Legs didn’t feel great and the cold drab weather sapped my motivation. I knew that I could ride well on the course under ideal conditions, but just wasn’t feeling it on the line. Missed my pedal and had a tough time finding it on the start so I got a shitty start. maybe 8-9th, then I got pinched in the soft corner by the bathrooms and lost a couple more. I settled down and didn’t panic. My heart rate and breathing were fine, so I just decided to do what I could on the climb. Worked my way up to about 6th by the top of the climb and still hadn’t redlined at all. Plus, I was with the leaders. So I went to work. Stayed safe on the downhill and used the climb to my advantage. The leader pitted on the first lap, but reentered the field 4-5 spot ahead of me. He had actually beaten the hell out of me at Sizzler, so I had my eye on him. 3nd place at the top of the climb second time up and didn’t have to redline. Made a pass for 2nd third time up. #1 was 35 seconds up on me at that point and all I could do was ride it out for second place. Nice result that came completely unexpectedly.

Bridgeton CX - I slept in. To hell with a 4:30 wake up.

Jeffreywoliver

Finally got back to racing today at Kutztown. I’ve had a few weeks now of shitty training with work travel and a sinus cold. Got my hiney spanked. Thinking about Crossasaurus tomorrow just for the training if I can get away with it on the homefront.

Jeffreywoliver

Decided last minute to get some extra training in at Crossasaurus Awesome today. Registered on site and started back row. Not the result I wanted (23/37), but I liked the course and had fun. Front tire doesn’t clear mud too well, but I just let the bike find it’s way. I was hoping to finish in the front half, but it wasn’t in the cards today. Mostly, a little disappointed not to be riding better in the Cat 3 fields, but I guess I’m just a Cat 4. Oh well, probably only doing one more race this year and that will be in the Cat 4/40+ field. I guess there I’ll find out if it’s just me getting tired. I have a few weeks to sharpen the knife.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe you had the reset you needed. You’re rested so put together a few good weeks of training and go into December. There are a bunch of good races left on the calendar. (Bubble, super, HPCX....)

It’s possible to get good results at the end of the year. Everyone is shot and you might be fresh.

That’s my plan anyway.

Jeffreywoliver

My day started a bit chaotic, I actually forgot my bike and had to go back home and get it. Somehow, though, I managed to pull off a win in the Cat 4/40+ NJ State Cyclocross Championship. I’ve really been struggling to keep my motivation and training on track for 4-5 weeks. Maybe, in effect, I was getting some rest. My race start was pretty fast. I wanted to start well, but hit the grass in 5th position. Didn’t panic as I was willing to ride in the wheels for a few laps if necessary. Sat in the first lap without really having to go into the red. Second lap I made a pass for the lead, almost by accident, and didn’t really want to lead, but had a gap with another rider and pressed on. Late lap I could hear that he was struggling a bit. Soon looked back and had a 25 yard gap. I did not really want to go all in yet, because I didn’t think I could hold it, but it was the championship, so I decided to just go for it. I pinned it at LT and tried to take good clean lines. Didn’t take any real risks on the off camber turns and tried to ride cleanly. #3 passed for second place And I watched him yo-yo a bit, closing down a bit, losing ground a bit. Truth be told, if he’d have caught me, I probably mentally would have caved in. With a lap to go I was pretty confident that I could hold it. So for the second year in a row, I won the Cat 4/40+ NJ Championship. This time I won the race, though. Last year I got third and won as the first NJ finisher. I had already planned to upgrade this year as long as I got a cross win, but I was starting to think it wouldn’t happen; especially after Kutztown and Crossasaurus. I’m glad it did though. It was only the Cat 4/40+ - sort of a participation ribbon - but it means something to me. Finally got a finish line pic too. I heard Larino won the real Masters Championship. Going to turn in my upgrade this Winter. I had a great season this year and probably the most fun I’ve ever had racing. Now, I’m just going to have fun on my MTB and at the HB Pump track.

Attachments

• F20E7818-E444-4BD5-B817-0FFB10358B21.jpeg
    F20E7818-E444-4BD5-B817-0FFB10358B21.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 6BB0311D-969C-44F7-ABCC-84E4853D75B4.jpeg
    6BB0311D-969C-44F7-ABCC-84E4853D75B4.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:

Jeffreywoliver

Went ahead and upgraded my USAC license to Cat 2 MTB / Cat 3 CX. Now I need to burn a few pounds off. Out of control behavior between Nov and Dec set me way back. About halfway back. 7 weeks until Mayhem. Looking forward to that one since it got snowed out last year. Looking forward to getting out there again.

Jeffreywoliver

Almost that time. 2019 season is getting close. A lot like last year, the snow wants to hold us back, but its an opportunity to put the finishing touches on some fitness. I let things get out of hand this Fall and still got a little bit of weight to drop anyway. I’ve got some goals this year and hoping to see it come to fruition. 2018 was a cool transition year and I hope I can maintain some forward progress. Having officially upgraded to Cat 2, I hope I can still compete at the front. Haven’t gotten as much time outside in the woods as I’d like. In reality, my saddle time as a whole is down on 2017/18, but I expect that will change in April. Hope Mayhem doesn’t get snowed out again this year because I’d like to ride that course for the first time. I’m off to Austin today. It’s 80 degrees down there, so maybe by the time I return the weather will break and it’s on.

Jeffreywoliver

First post this season. My first full Cat 2/ 45+ season is almost over. I had a couple of decent results as a Cat 2 late last season, so I set out to see how I could do in the H2H series. Here’s the skinny on how it unfolded so far.

Mayhem - It was cold and windy as hell, but no snow, so that was good. I benefitted a lot from the sandy windy power conditions. After a fast start I was in front pretty early. traded pulls for the first lap. Waved #2 through on the sand before that short little kicker and then unfortunately got gapped in the little bit of tech just after. Finished 2nd about 30s back. I felt like I really made a tactical mistake and should have just led from the front. Felt good about my ability to compete, though; especially coming off of a 6 week sinus cold in Jan/Feb.

MTBNJ Short Track - I was really bummed about the rain. Honestly, I was pretty sketched out by the rain at Mooch. Glen Acheson started off like a rocket. I actually mentally decide not to chase too hard at the start so as not to blow up. He blasted around the first lap in the rain and I slipped and slid around trying to keep up without crashing. We caught Glen on 2nd lap and another rider went from third to 1st at the top of that first descent. I tried hard, but couldn’t quite catch him back. I’d get close where I could lay the power down, but he consistently outride me on the slimy technical descents. I was timing him and consistently tottered between 9-15s behind. I think I finished 2nd, 9s back.

Ringwood - Spring Break at OBX kept me out of the mis here and I honestly wasn’t disappointed. Not my cup of tea.

Mooch - I really like Mooch (when it is dry) and was disappointed to miss this one. Also at OBX.

Starting to worry I might have to pack in my hopes for the H2H series.

Stewart - Another fast start and first lap with Rob OST and Michael Galetta. I didn’t know Galetta and wasn’t confident enough to just ride aggressively. I think I made a tactical mistake of being willing to follow him. We pushed out a nice lead over Rob. I was trying to press him a bit just to keep the stress level high, but was always within my zone, never redlined, and just decided I’d let him wear himself out and I could win at the end. He went down in front of me about 2/3 through the race and bungled his remount, but I was trapped and couldn’t take advantage, so I figured it was in my best interest to calm him down and get him going again. Unfortunately, Rob caught us back and my tactics turned out to be a mistake. Then I was running 3rd when we hit that rock climb. Mike and I had been riding it, but Rob decided to run it leaving me no choice to do the same. Galetta was off and took a well deserved Win. I finished a very disappointing, but confident 3rd. (H2H 7th place with 2 races)

LewMo - After thinking about about my poor tactics at Stewart for a month and a half I was determined to race very aggressively, even if it cost me the race. I was very nervous because I was coming off a red eye flight from Las Vegas that morning. I started aggressively and was worried about my legs for the first lap. It was a tough 1st lap with Galetta and James McDevitt. Second lap though I knew that I was hurting them both on the climbs, so my confidence increased. James was similar in skills to me on the descents with Galetta a bit more skilled. Second lap I just took every climb and flat power section as hard as I could without redlining. Getting nice gaps. Made it to the final descent with a nice lead and just repeated the mantra all the way down “ride hard, but don’t fuck up”. I knew I needed to take risks, but ride a clean descent. Took the turn onto the dirt finish with a nice gap that I thought to be 50 yards or so when I looked back in the turn. I REALLY FUCKING BLEW IT, though. I didn’t bury myself to the finish and when I heard the crowd, I knew he was coming. I sprinted, but James nipped me at the line. He took a nice win that I really wanted and needed. I thought I still had him on wheels, but the chip said otherwise. Nice win James. (H2H 5th place with 3 races)

Bulldog - I was less than happy about the course when I did the pre-ride the week prior. It was wet and slick. I didn’t even ride a second lap because I didn’t want to psych myself out. I felt the same last year, but remembered that I was fine at race pace. I started the race aggressively again knowing I needed to make amends for the 4 points I threw away last race. Very quickly I was out front with Fedor and Galetta. We were pushing hard. Fedor and I taking time in the power/climbs and Galetta gaining it on the technical sections. Fedor and I got a nice gap though. We kept the pace up and I could tell Fedor was willing to follow, but I also knew he has a strong engine. I might have ridden a little bit too cautiously, but we finished the first lap and climb with a nice gap that we held for much of the second lap. Mike came back though and we all bungled the rocky climb with a couple of miles to go and had to run the section. I remounted but bungled the rocks badly and they gapped me. Turns out I still had my suspension locked out. They beat me where they were simply better though and pushed out their gap. I finished 3rd 56s down on Galetta.

So it seems that, even if I win at Peter Pounder and Galetta finishes 3rd or worse, I will still lose the series 142 - 141. As it currently stands I am 10 points down (I think). I do have Pay Dirt, which Galetta does not, but it seems he has the series locked up as far as real results go. I am just a handful of points ahead of Rob (who also has points), so there is a lot left to race for. There’s a month to go and I pushing all my chip out at Peter Pounder. It’s been an exciting and close H2H series in the Cat 45+ class. Hence, I’ve been reluctant to post in order to avoid giving away any intel.

Long post, sorry, hope it was enjoyable.

P.S. I’m not upgrading without a win.

Top Bottom