My trek from middling Cat 3 roadie to MTBer

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
No worries - he's not sure who he is some days, either
does anyone really know who he is?

This is true.

i'm going to head over today, check out what needs to be cleared, and do an extended cush loop -
this will zee-climb cush, HAB over the saddle, drop to red, out to the reverse connector (which also has hike-a-bike - cause it was rerouted off private property)
ridge reverse of what you did (it is very rideable, maybe not the first time through tho), then not the normal way down.
loosely related to strava segment names - but not really.

qclabrat

I ended up top of the ridge, then down to the power line. Only a few trees I had to navigate around. Not sure who fidodie is, but I’ll take a guided tour.
Don't beat yourself over the Cush. It's one of those Parks that sucks if you don't know the proper loop. I've done the stop, go, hike, oh shit why's there a climb here, and is this a trail? many times. I'm going take Pat's offer one day to show me around properly. #ridetheCush

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Some of the technical stuff in cush is pretty sketchy on a 100mm xc bike. It definitely takes me some concentration and effort to ride it clean.

Jeff. Ride out your door and make a right. Ride up and down that pink trail at Voorhees. That's a legit tough trail going up and down. But learn the lines and keep practicing. I'm telling you...it'll be very beneficial.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
That Voorhees stuff is rad, I wish I could ride that daily! I'm assuming I rode that section with Germy; that is a great tune up for some descending skills for sure.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Some of the technical stuff in cush is pretty sketchy on a 100mm xc bike. It definitely takes me some concentration and effort to ride it clean.

Jeff. Ride out your door and make a right. Ride up and down that pink trail at Voorhees. That's a legit tough trail going up and down. But learn the lines and keep practicing. I'm telling you...it'll be very beneficial.

Agree - there are a couple rock gardens that can be handled at a decent pace after going through them a few times.
Also a few rocks that are in the middle of the trail for no reason (the rock is too big to move, why does the trail go over it?)

i rode the ridge trail back to the saddle today - i got spooked on a wet rock, and took it easy on the sidewalk.
cleared everything else, except the stairs (they aim for a tree at the bottom)

here is a link.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1480345033

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That Voorhees stuff is rad, I wish I could ride that daily! I'm assuming I rode that section with Germy; that is a great tune up for some descending skills for sure.

Yes that rocky climb which we went up and down is less than a minute ride from his house.

Jeffreywoliver

Yes that rocky climb which we went up and down is less than a minute ride from his house.

Yeah, I know the one you’re talking about and will likely frequent that area soon. I’ve almost cleared it going up (on the SpeedFox), but not gone down it yet.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I know the one you’re talking about and will likely frequent that area soon. I’ve almost cleared it going up (on the SpeedFox), but not gone down it yet.

There's a tree down 3/4 of the way up. I'm going to try and take care of it tomorrow if it's not raining all day

Jeffreywoliver

Just registered for the Hop Brook MTB Race in Middlebury, CT. I registered Cat 3 | 40+ and the promoter says it's a non-technical, fast course. here's to hoping that the 4th time is the charm and that I can actually get rolling. Anyone out there done this race?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Be careful, in my opinion, “fast and non technical” is actually hard to race because turning and riding at that pace/speed is something you may not be used to!

Pedal hard, take risks. Push the envelope. We are all counting on you.

Jeffreywoliver

Went to Vorhees State Park today. Mostly dry except in a few draws and low spots. Man, I sort of suck at mountain biking. It probably looks funny to someone just watching. Had to dab a lot and even walk quite a few spots. I’ve got a lot of work to do. I should probably dig out the worst old kit I can find for the race on Saturday, just so the racers around me know to stay clear. They’ll be like, “who’s that dude with no skills, who is way over-biked?”

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The race is Sunday.

Voorhees isn't easy. Keep riding it.

Jeffreywoliver

I managed to start the season with a little success to build the confidence. I pulled a WIN in the Cat 3 / 40-49 race at Hop Brook in Waterbury, CT. I was disappointed that I didn’t get there in time to scout the course more, but in the end, I think that was for the best. I did scout the first half mile before the climb and determined to start strong and avoid the riff raff. I figured it would piss off the better technical riders, but felt I needed a strong start. By the base of the climb I went from 5th to 3rd place. At the top I was in second right on the wheel of the leader, who I could tell was suffering. He nevertheless got a sizable gap on the DH and increased it to 150-200 yards, by the time we hit the flats. I could tell by his posture though, that he was suffering and slowing down. By the time we were nearing the top on lap two, I think he was in panic mode. I could see that he was struggling with his shifting, not thinking about it in advance, and then he overcorrected and snapped his chain. We had a sizable gap, so I knew I was in good shap for the second lap. I really took the DH conservatively and blistered the flats and climbs. Unfortunately, though, I caught the juniors (ranging from probably 8-15 y/o) and it was very sketchy trying to pass them. They got scared and were pretty erratic and I had to pick my way through what must have been most of their field. I probably let up too much as a result. With a few hundred meters to go I heard adults coming on fast. At the top of the downhill I knew one was right on my ass, but I knew that the left line was best and just focused on not making a mistake, because I was confident on the final flats. Turns out that I held him off and was able to basically treat the finish as a CX race sprint. I really didn’t expect to win going in, but it was a nice bonus.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I managed to start the season with a little success to build the confidence. I pulled a WIN in the Cat 3 / 40-49 race at Hop Brook in Waterbury, CT. I was disappointed that I didn’t get there in time to scout the course more, but in the end, I think that was for the best. I did scout the first half mile before the climb and determined to start strong and avoid the riff raff. I figured it would piss off the better technical riders, but felt I needed a strong start. By the base of the climb I went from 5th to 3rd place. At the top I was in second right on the wheel of the leader, who I could tell was suffering. He nevertheless got a sizable gap on the DH and increased it to 150-200 yards, by the time we hit the flats. I could tell by his posture though, that he was suffering and slowing down. By the time we were nearing the top on lap two, I think he was in panic mode. I could see that he was struggling with his shifting, not thinking about it in advance, and then he overcorrected and snapped his chain. We had a sizable gap, so I knew I was in good shap for the second lap. I really took the DH conservatively and blistered the flats and climbs. Unfortunately, though, I caught the juniors (ranging from probably 8-15 y/o) and it was very sketchy trying to pass them. They got scared and were pretty erratic and I had to pick my way through what must have been most of their field. I probably let up too much as a result. With a few hundred meters to go I heard adults coming on fast. At the top of the downhill I knew one was right on my ass, but I knew that the left line was best and just focused on not making a mistake, because I was confident on the final flats. Turns out that I held him off and was able to basically treat the finish as a CX race sprint. I really didn’t expect to win going in, but it was a nice bonus.
Sweet!! Good read. I used to use the riders I passed as traffic for the racers behind me, almost like blockers running interference for you. Sometimes it works out great, other times just so so.

Jeffreywoliver

Ringwood Endurance 45+ race report:

First, huge props to my competitors out there. You all rode an awesome race. The winner finished a full hour ahead of me. I assume also with 5 laps, but I’ve not seen the results with lap/splits. Sort of bummed about that honestly, because I wanted to break it down a little bit.

I have pretty mixed feelings about this race, so I waited a little while to post. On one hand I feel a big sense of accomplishment just for having finished 34 somewhat brutal miles over 5 hours. On the other is sort of sucks not to be able to get a result based on fitness. I went in to the race hoping to gain experience and not necessarily targeting a result, but was hopeful, and it’s disappointing not to have had more to show for it. I felt pretty good even well into the 4th hour on energy, but the race was pure and simply too far outside of my technical capabilities. While I managed the climbs, fire road descents and even the moderate single-track well, I had to walk too much of the tech in the last 2.5 miles of the course and lost a lot of time there. That’s on me, though, the course is the same for everyone, so it’s just something I’ll need to work on. On the bright side, I saw quite a few Cat 1s walking as well. Legs feel good today, but my ankles are shot. The grip strength in my hands is weak too. I’d be hard pressed to open a jar of grape jelly today for sure.

Now I need to objectively look ahead to Allamuchy and decide whether to race endurance or XCO. The weather will probably be a determining factor. Hopefully Ringwood was the worst as far as technical trails go.

Kudos again to everyone who raced and performed well at Ringwood. You certainly have my respect.

choop

Nice job out there Jeff. IMO its a pretty brutal course for endurance, at least at my skill level. I was tempted to try it in the endurance class, and then came to my senses. It looked like a course that would slowly eat you alive. Hats off to you for giving it one hell of an effort.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I can't imagine 5 hours on that course. I dislike endurance racing tho...

Dial in your suspension, and do the endurance at Mooch.

Top Bottom