My trek from middling Cat 3 roadie to MTBer

I didn’t ride the course but I’m sure it was a technically demanding mtb course. Kudos for riding the whole time. It’s only going to get better from here. I’m sure you learned a lot about yourself in those 5 hours!

Third race coming up tomorrow. Seems like a pretty big field. Hoping I can ride the whole course, which will result in some noticeable improvements. Cautiously optimistic going in. I’m expecting a long day, but learned some things that will hopefully help. Worst case, it’s some more experience for goals later in the season. Weather seems like it will be great. One thing is for sure, getting my shit together the night before for mountain racing is a pain in the ass.

Third race coming up tomorrow. Seems like a pretty big field. Hoping I can ride the whole course, which will result in some noticeable improvements. Cautiously optimistic going in. I’m expecting a long day, but learned some things that will hopefully help. Worst case, it’s some more experience for goals later in the season. Weather seems like it will be great. One thing is for sure, getting my shit together the night before for mountain racing is a pain in the ass.
Way less technical than Ringwood.
I had to walk a bunch of sections last week. Today, on the preride, I dabbed twice, that was it. Really fun course for tomorrow.

Allamuchy was definitely tough. Congrats to Alan on another solid win. He lapped me during my 5th lap. I felt like I had a good 3-4 laps, but blew up on the fifth. Allamuchy was more rideable for me, but harder in a way because there was nowhere to really recover. I didn’t hold back on Sat in training and probably didn’t take care of myself enough as far as hydration goes, but still, I rode well for 2:45. I started making a bunch of mistakes on the fifth lap. Even went over the bars once, but it was slow and uneventful. I was in a position to take a 6th lap, but basically decided I wasn’t up for it, sort of quit on it, and gave up a lot of ground (and positions) during that 5th lap. While I’m disappointed in myself about that I learned a lot nevertheless. I was blasting the DH technical stuff, just looking down the trail and rolling stuff that surprised even me. Once I got tired, though, I decided I better not try and kill myself. Based on times from my first two laps, I think I’d be riding well in the XCO races. That’s a silver lining. Objectively, I should probably go for the XCO races where I can compete. Being competitive is more fun and will take up less of my day. Meanwhile, I will continue to work hard on my technical skills - they’re getting a lot better though - I blasted some shit that got scary during the fifth lap. Pretty bummed that I cannot do the Stewart and LewMo races. Hopefully I can find some shorter races before June. It’s been a fun process; pain notwithstanding. Having the weirdest experience with my left thumb after these last two races. My grip strength in my left hand is really fatigued. I guess it’s just the death grip during races and using muscles that I haven’t before. Legs are tired, but rock solid.

15km might be a consideration. I assume that course is similar to Ringwood or Allamuchy?
You mean 25k. And yes, it's in the same ballpark. I think as a mass series race, this will have s different vibe, which I'm interested in experiencing myself.

You mean 25k. And yes, it's in the same ballpark. I think as a mass series race, this will have s different vibe, which I'm interested in experiencing myself.

Yeah, 25km (15mi), I had just converted the mileage. I think I held up well for 15 miles at Mooch. My lap times would have been different there if I knew I only had 2 laps.

Definitely planning on riding the 25km Iron Furnace race at Waywayanda as long as the family calendar doesn’t change. I think that will be a good distance. I guess the terrain will probably be similar to RW and Mooch, so what is there to lose. Just gotta decide whether to ride the Beginner or the Sport race.

Last edited:
It’s done. I’ve registered for the Beginner 25km race. We’ll see how it goes at that level over this distance and take it from there. I felt like I had a good early ride at Allamuchy, but made some mistakes and didn’t take good care of myself the day prior, which came back to bite me. We’ll correct that this time and see what happens. I‘m sure that I have a good 2-3 good hours in my legs and if the course is roughly comparable to Allamuchy I’m confident in my chances.

You'll make it.

If nothing else you'll get a real good taste of Wawayanda. Its a great park!

I really liked Waywayanda and had a good race. Finished 4th overall in the 25km race. #1 Beginner Men. I got the the starting line a bit late expecting to take off in wave, but it was mass start and I was at the back. Luckily, it was a long dirt road, paved road climb for about 3/4 mile before we hit the single track, so I just went to the front. 4th into the woods and we climbed the single track to the top. All good. I made it to the top and down the rocky descent with the leaders. I assumed at that point they were all Sport riders. Then we hit a wet rooty section and some skinnies and I made a ton of mistakes. That area sucked. I was better on dry rocks. In hindsight I probably should have tried to slow it down a little bit and focus on my lines, but I wanted to stick with the leaders. I made a LOT of mistakes there. I lost the leaders in the roots. A few riders started coming back to me. I was told that the first 5 miles were the most technical, then some easy stuff and then tech again at the end. I was glad when we got out of the roots (Plymouth Rd?) and when I was 5 miles into the race. A couple of times there were one or two that almost bridged to me on technical mistakes, but I always hit a climb or fire road and gassed it. At about halfway it was clear I was free and towards the last 25% I started to catch stragglers from the 50k events. I just tried to ride as mistake free as possible and gas everything I could safely hit hard. Made a few mistakes on the tech section at the end, but didn’t sweat it much as I had already passed 7-8 stragglers. Saw folks messing up the tech climb, so I just dismounted and ran those sections at the end. At the end I was catching a rider (Mike Rossi), but assumed he was a straggler. Turns out he was the 3rd placed Sport rider. I didn’t take any risks and didn’t catch him. He beat me by 15s. The winner and number two beat me by 6mins and 3mins respectively.

Looking back, I didn’t do a good job of taking care of myself last Sat and went into the Mooch dehydrated. I could have done well at Allamuchy if properly hydrated and in the XC race, maybe even in the Sport. Still, I was strong last week until 2:45 into the race. Today I had zero cramping or energy issues all day today. I tried to just maintain an XC pace, because I think this was basically a Sport XC distance. It all worked out for me in the end.

Very disappointed I won’t be around for LewMo and Stewart. I could do well there. I would like to try and get one more solid result in the Beginner field before moving up. I’m probably sandbagging a little on fitness if I’m honest, but not on technical skills, so I don’t feel like I’m being unfair. I will try to find some other XC races in May/June and consider moving up on a similar result. I’ve always sort of regretted moving up to quickly on the road without getting the wins that I could have in the Cat 5s and 4s. Not making that mistake with MTB.

Well done & congrats!

those roots spooked me. nothing like riding scared to slow a person down.

Had a good race at Bear Creek Challenge. Managed to net my 3rd win of the season in the Cat 3 field and will go ahead and upgrade for the next race. Here’s how things unfolded.

I was sort of anxious most of the week looking at the weather. I knew that the course was somewhat technical, but also knew that it couldn’t be much worse that Ringwood or Allamuchy. Still, I didn’t really want to do it in the wet conditions. So it poured about 30-45 mins before the race. Nevertheless, I was able to scout the first .75mi and also the last.25mi and I was pretty confident about what I had seen.

I put a lot of pressure on myself mentally, because I feel the pressure to upgrade, but wanted to move up on a win. Game plan was to blast the climbs and defend on the descents. Got to the start early to secure a good position. Made sure I was first to the single track (surprisingly, that wasn’t hard at all because nobody put up a fight). Turned onto the single track and went hard threshold pace. I started catching the Cat 3/30+ riders already within a quarter mile. I could hear/feel a rider from my race on my wheel for the first .5mi, which worried me a bit. Was I going too hard? I decided to go at about 90% of threshold to make sure I could respond if he attacked me. And then he broke. We turned hard right onto the second flattish section on the climb and he was gapped, so I went full gas to the top. Wasn’t sure what my gap was at the top, but took a few chances on the descent, because I was afraid I might get caught there. When we turned onto the starting single track again I looked back and knew my gap was solid. Took the next climb at threshold as well, but had to work through quite a bit of traffic. In the end I finished with 2:29 on #2. The Cat 3/30+ winner rode the course 1:30 faster and I had sort of hoped for a mass start of all the Cat 3 fields like at Iron Furnace. I’d have liked to see how I fared against him head-to-head.

I thought two laps was short, even for a Cat 3 race; especially given the $40 entry fee.

Now I’m off to Germany June 16-28 and will get in some good road miles and look forward to finishing up the H2H starting with Kittatinny in the Cat 2 field when I return. I assume that’s another rock garden, so maybe I’ll try to get out there and ride if the trails are public.

Attachments

• 45027A5A-2F0E-41A6-9DAD-8B6A7DACF4BC.jpeg
    45027A5A-2F0E-41A6-9DAD-8B6A7DACF4BC.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 215
I assume that’s another rock garden,

KVSP isn't bad. I think you'll do well. A few rocks but nothing like mooch, Ringwood. I'm not sure about the bear Creek loop you did though.

Nice work on the win. And good on you for upgrading.

Back at it tomorrow at the Sizzler in South Jersey. It’s been a biggish week and I’m a little tired, maybe not perfectly hydrated either, but I’m confident I’ll have a decent ride. Not sweating the result too much, but looking for a good start and maintaining clean lines and a hard pace in the heat. Course sounds like its fast and not too technical, although Ive been working on the MTB a bit. After a couple of weeks on the road in Germany, I’m mostly looking to get back in the swing and focus for the Kittatinney race. I recognize a few strong names from CX season, so it will be a good measuring stick. Hoping I can go out and surprise myself.

SIZZLER RACE REPORT:

Overall I was happy with the outcome. I finished 9th of 32 starters. The course wasn’t too technical, but the single-track was very tight and difficult for me to really drill it. I am now very confident in being able to compete for a top position at this level and I’m excited about Peter Pounder and the possibilities there. I need to get a few things right there.

Now, a quick breakdown. It was a pretty big week and a 9 hours travel day tucked in there. I managed the heat fairly well (10:30 start), but had a classic case of not realizing I was running as well as I was. I wouldn’t say I let up, but it is difficult to really suffer if you don’t think you’re fighting for a top placing. Got to the start line first, but ended up 2nd row after getting reshuffled for the various fields starting. Uncharacteristically, I didn’t have the zip at the start. Wanted to be among the first to the single track, but just couldn’t. I’m guessing I was 10-15 back though it seemed further. Got stuck in traffic. The first 2/3 lap was easy. I was losing ground due to riders in front of me, though I passed a few by that point. Then I made a bonehead pass attempt on a hill, the guy came over on me and I had to dismount and run the hill. Right after the hill was beautiful double-track that I could’ve passed a lot of guys had I known the course. Instead I lost 4-5 spots. Next lap and a half was uneventful. I passed a few, got passed by a couple. Late the 3rd lap I was held up behind a single speed rider. I should have pressed him to let me by, but I didn’t think it was a big deal. With about .5mi to go 3 riders came up and called out to pass. I let them through without a fight because I thought they were in a different race. Turned out they were in my race and I lost 3 positions in the last half mile. In short, I had a decent ride, but two big mistakes – 3 if you count the start – kept me out of the top 5-6 riders. Disappointing, but I’m very confident in my ability to compete with the Cat 2 field.

Last edited:
Serious question. Is MTB etiquette to always pass on the left? I was under impression that as long as you called it, and chose a safe spot, either side was fair game. Some woman yelled at me at Sizzler for passing on the right. In her defense some other dude and I came up on her fast and he went left, but left wouldn’t work for me.

Back
Top Bottom