Mercer County Park Conditions

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
OMG tread is so sick in van nest
911F7AEA-CE74-4ACD-914D-80A2127DE503.jpeg

TAS

Ride report Friday 12/6. Rode the entire park North & South - Van Nest to East Picnic yesterday afternoon before the rain..
Well I did get rained on a little bit but who cares?
Did not see a single deer hunter anywhere (Bow Season). Note that next week the Firearm hunting season opens on the north side of the park and It is closed.
The park is open everywhere on Sundays... see the calendar.https://mercercountyparks.org/assets/19-20_MCP_HuntSchedule_fxUbNh9.pdf
The only trail condition hiccup is the PSE&G work on the power line near the West Picnic area. Use the paved path by the lake to go around.
Otherwise conditions are perfect.
Forget holiday shopping and go ride!

TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2276.JPG
    DSCN2276.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 97

TAS

Happy New Year!!!
Trail ride report..... Rode south side west to east including Van Nest yesterday. Darn good conditions with a few slick- soft spots in the usual places.
Slow down and ride the high sides .. all will be OK. Van Nest has the usual 2-3 wet spot water crossings along the creek.
The red loop trail along the creek by the east picnic area is fine. To exit, ride blue out to the camping parking area. No foul doing that as the camping area is there.
Saw no hunters anywhere.

PSE&G has a trail crossing setup at the Orange trail where the power line work is. The other crossings are for the most part blocked.

Be aware that freeze thaw conditions are in effect this time of year.
For the next week or so above freezing temps during the day will allow trails surfaces to dry out (If it's not raining!)
However that can change rapidly. Leave no ruts! (PLEASE)
TAS

blackburn1973

Consequence from the PSEG work: the s turn right at the deer killers stump/start of Xmas tree trail. Guess will see how this shakes out, but right now 30’ of trail is under a few inches of water.
View attachment 116922View attachment 116923
Yeah, saw this yesterday. Very strange as sort of pops up from nowhere and the trail above and closer to the PSEG work didn't seem all that wet (and there wasn't any standing water aside from this - just a few soft spots where direct sun was hitting the trail). Easy enough to pick up the bike and cut through the woods to get around it as not too many prickers in there.

zmodica

Yeah, saw this yesterday. Very strange as sort of pops up from nowhere and the trail above and closer to the PSEG work didn't seem all that wet (and there wasn't any standing water aside from this - just a few soft spots where direct sun was hitting the trail). Easy enough to pick up the bike and cut through the woods to get around it as not too many prickers in there.

was in today as well...this spot is going to stay wet forever

Pointboy

Hit that on Saturday when it was frozen, came into that corner pretty fast and wasn't expecting any ice there. Thin layer of snow had covered up the ice so I couldn't see it until i was on it.

TAS

Out for a ride today and I stopped and checked out "Orange Wet Spot". It was definitely sourced from a new foundation pad. I walked up to the new pad and could see that it was pumped out. And it wasn't just a few hundred gallons either! Here is what is disturbing. I tried making a nick to help the water flow away and when you start digging.... there is a clear, sticky, viscus fluid that isn't water! Obviously water based but UGH!!!
If it was just water it would have run off and sunk into the soil. This gooey stuff just lays there.

I cleared a walk around next to the puddle but you will still need to dismount and cross the frozen mess. We are suppose to get a heavy rain on Sat perhaps it will wash/ dissolve the slime mess away. If it doesn't I can try shoveling it.

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions