Mercer County Park Conditions

Can the Park dictate what goes on in what is controlled by the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife which is the Van Ness (the pines)? Interesting. Can the MCPS help us out with the muddy mess that is on what I believe to be the yellow trail....let's just say, after today, it has probably reached a new level of goopy-ness not seen before. Should have rode Wednesday. Time to consider a fat bike. I need to get rid of my 26 in wheel jalopy. Yeah, I seen all the bright blue marks....rode Saturday.

We can't dictate neither can MCP ... but I have been told that there is an "understanding" that it is OK for the trails in Van Nest to be maintained - marked by the SMART - JORBA crew. That's all I know... The NJ DFW could one day just decide to close it. Make no waves!
As to the mud spot you mentioned, that is on the "Paxton Twisty" trail. Gets a lot of traffic. It is a "side trail" on the official map and not marked yet.
Indeed it is now a huge mess and getting worse as the water table is so high due to all the rain. It is on the "To Do" list.
Believe it or not there is a concrete drain pipe under this mess!!
TAS

DSCN1951.JPG

Can the Park dictate what goes on in what is controlled by the NJ Division of Fish and Wildlife which is the Van Ness (the pines)? Interesting. Can the MCPS help us out with the muddy mess that is on what I believe to be the yellow trail....let's just say, after today, it has probably reached a new level of goopy-ness not seen before. Should have rode Wednesday. Time to consider a fat bike. I need to get rid of my 26 in wheel jalopy. Yeah, I seen all the bright blue marks....rode Saturday.
I suggest that if you would like to have a better understanding of the process and discuss in detail, you should participate in our next trail maintenance session on Sat April 20th. We meet at 9 am in the marina parking lot near the volleyball courts.
We’re always looking for opportunities to recruit volunteers and increase community involvement.

Last edited:
We can't dictate neither can MCP ... but I have been told that there is an "understanding" that it is OK for the trails in Van Nest to be maintained - marked by the SMART - JORBA crew. That's all I know... The NJ DFW could one day just decide to close it. Make no waves!
As to the mud spot you mentioned, that is on the "Paxton Twisty" trail. Gets a lot of traffic. It is a "side trail" on the official map and not marked yet.
Indeed it is now a huge mess and getting worse as the water table is so high due to all the rain. It is on the "To Do" list.
Believe it or not there is a concrete drain pipe under this mess!!
TAS

View attachment 90828

I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. We turned the team around rather than try to ride through it

Yo Mike, KUDOS to you and the team for that decision! Sets a good example for them as well.
I'll be out there this coming week and attempt to locate the buried end of pipe... that's step1.

TAS

Got out today. Avoided trail from boat launch/volleyball and "Christmas Holly" (photo in previous post).

Trails out to Tennis court ok but popped out a bit early knowing one section might be bad. Blue trail out to crew center was ok.

Yo Mike, KUDOS to you and the team for that decision! Sets a good example for them as well.
I'll be out there this coming week and attempt to locate the buried end of pipe... that's step1.

TAS
Yesterday I located the uphill end of the pipe and cleared a small area around it.
All I found was the corner of a cinder block!

If I disturb the soil the water gets muddy, then clears. So some water is getting thru.
When I left I did notice that water was flowing slowly at the lower end of the pipe.

Hopefully its just a matter of digging out and enlarging the hole.
Clearing debris on the ground uphill from the drain should help the water collect there and not spread over the trail bed.

Rode the south side loop from Van Nest to East Picnic then to Rowing Center and back to Van Nest.
Red trail - West Picnic area where the construction is: Caution!! :eek:There is a deep drop-off in one roadbed section that has not been backfilled with stone.
The Red trail east of East Picnic area is (still) unrideable.
Blue Near the lake is rideable but soft in a few spots. Pick a good line.
The "Hog Bog" on the Paxton Twisty section is still wet!! Advise dismount and walk around. And thanks to the folks that are doing so!
Everything else is A OK.
However..... the spring peepers have gone silent during the day:(

Saturday should be great riding conditions!!

TAS

Wtf is going on at west picnic area ??
The park & county are finally doing some of what they promised for the old house. Not A full restore but a foundation preservation.
They added water lines and electric to the site. From the look of the cuts and fill, there will paved paths in and out.
Further on...... Over by the east Picnic area, parallel to the blue trail they have cleared out a section of woods and are placing ornamental boulders in piles along paths. No idea at all what that is about!

It's a nice trail, hope we dont lose it.... w the house being right off the main road tiu woyld think they would do all the work there and leave the wooded areas alone

east picnic area cleared just into the woods on blue is for CAMPSITES...no kidding. Met the landscaper in there while they were clearing and asked.
not big, maybe enough room for 10 sites or so. Not sure if drive in is intended or not.

I pity the people that camp there. Its an area not intended for humans. Makes me itch just thinking about it. Imagine the buggiest place you have ever ridden through, then imagine camping there.

YIKES! Maybe for overnight - outdoor education? I cannot imagine the county park providing and maintaining public camp sites. First high water, warm weather event and you will be eaten alive by skeeters. Long walk to the nearest water or bathroom and no electric or utilities were run... Gonna be interesting to see what develops. Hmm... a camp store... perhaps a swimming area on Bridegroom run with a beach?o_O

TAS

Rode the entire south side Van Nest to rowing center this afternoon. Everything is A-OK with three exceptions:
The red trail by West Picnic has still has not been filled in at the new road. Be careful!
The red loop east of the east picnic area is still a swamp.
The "Hog Bog" on the Paxton Twisty is still a mess, perhaps a little bit better. Please walk it.
Couple of wet spots along the creek. No big deal.
We have heavy rain forecast for late Fri night - into Sat :rolleyes:
If you can get out there Friday afternoon or evening you will experience spring conditions nirvana at Mercer:)

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions