MCPS Volunteer Signup / Let's make something happen

TimBay

Gotcha - I'd be interested in being part of a team that does TM here regularly, as this is my local riding spot. Would prefer it not be led/dates dictated by MCPS, and be more of a MTBNJ or JORBA run thing of course.

The erosion and general trail maintenance is so bad, as mentioned.
So that's what We're trying to do. I'm trying to get a team where we can agree on a date that many can make and submit our maintenance plan for that date to MCPS, then go get it done.

For liability purposes, I'm fairly certain anyone looking to help would need to refister as an official volunteer and attend their TM course.

rick81721

Lothar
Just a couple days.

If you don't hear anything after a week...

giphy (24).gif

TimBay

No saying if you don't get a response soon, the paper ball is what they did with your email.
Ah, yeah. We'll see. I'll just keep pestering.

As I'm trying to get a meeting, does anyone have ideas for the first target for TM and an action plan for how to tackle it?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Ah, yeah. We'll see. I'll just keep pestering.

As I'm trying to get a meeting, does anyone have ideas for the first target for TM and an action plan for how to tackle it?

the action plan would be to find out what their priorities are!
Followed by confirmation, then successfully do them. no more/no less.
The write up should have their name
It should also end up in a newspaper, with their name "at the direction of name, name, members of the whatever-they-were appoinnted to, a group of local volunteers, trained by the MCPS (name of coordinator, tel number to get involved) engaged in ......."
etc.

i'm putting this in a public space, because this is the right thing to do. they should get credit, because they are trying something new,
which means risk. Rapport is built through success - trust follows. Then the group has earned the privilege of proposing other projects,
because they are on the ground there...

SmooveP

This just in:

TRAIL MAINTENANCE TRAINING (ages 16 & up)
Thursday, September 12th from 6-8pm
Thompson Park, Lincroft
Please park in the Estate Grounds Parking Lot and follow signs to the Visitor Center. This classroom session is required prior to volunteering on trail maintenance and construction projects.

You can email the Volunteer Application to Tracy: Tracy.Shiffman@co.monmouth.nj.us

Attachments

• Volunteer Application 2018.pdf
    61.6 KB · Views: 246

michael.su

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
From what I've heard, there was somewhat of a difference of opinion and they booted jorba out. My long-term hopes are that we can gain some traction with MCPS through our own TM sessions and eventually try to get Jorba involved. I think it's important to move slow and tread lightly and build up momentum. I'm currently awaiting a response from MCPS to my email.

Reminder to all: spread the word and get your froends registered. More people equals more power.

I don’t think that this is entirely true. There may have been a difference of opinion but I don’t believe that JORBA was ever “booted”
Those that were involved simply moved on or refocused their efforts elsewhere.
There is no animosity between JORBA and Monmouth county. We help out whenever we can and they are always appreciative. There are still some of us that are on the volunteer list. (I took the training twice)
I live in western Monmouth so Hartshorne is quite a hike for me.
That being said, kudos to you for stepping up. That’s the only way things will change, just keep in mind that the land manager runs the show.
Follow Pat’s advice and build a relationship and trust first. Show them what you can/will do.
After some time, you may have input on projects and scheduling.
If you need help/advice, reach out.

TimBay

I did see a lot more people comment that they were already registered and only a couple that noted they needed to take the course. A little disappointed when I saw my neighbor's truck at his house since I had hoped he'd be going.

Saturday, October 5th is the big day. I'm setting some calendar reminders to keep posting reminders for everyone on the conditions page. Let's get everyone out for the work and stay positive.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
So, after all this noise, 2 mountain bikers showed up for the training session tonight.

I couldn't make it. I have a family and related obligations/sports/coaching/etc.

Honestly, this might be my biggest problem with the whole thing. I won't bash MCPS for being underfunded or understaffed but they obviously need help. Yet they put up barriers that make it difficult to volunteer.

TimBay

I couldn't make it. I have a family and related obligations/sports/coaching/etc.

Honestly, this might be my biggest problem with the whole thing. I won't bash MCPS for being underfunded or understaffed but they obviously need help. Yet they put up barriers that make it difficult to volunteer.
It's all good. I'll take the liberty to assume the training is an insirance liability thing for the park system. I think a lot of the red tape comes down to liabilities and budgets. There's always next time

SmooveP

The park system added this training session for us MTB'ers. There were about 10 people who told Tracy they were coming and didn't show up.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions