MCP Trail Maintenance

TAS

TM this Saturday 6/18
We will be meeting at 9:00 am at the marina parking lot near the volleyball courts.
We have release documents from JORBA and Mercer County to complete and sign if you have not yet done so this season.

Both JORBA and Mercer County are moving to electronic documents for registration. Until we have a link and process we will still be doing it via paper for now.

Trimming will be the primary task...
The brush hog will be operating.
We need a crew to follow and clear what the machine cannot reach. - Face slappers etc.

We provide tools and gloves. Please dress appropriately, apply insect repellent and bring water.

TAS

TAS

Todays TM...The usual gang showed up. Mick, Al, Mike and yours truly. We split into two groups. Mike and Mick attacked "Autumn Berry" (invasive species) on the Paxton twisties. Al & I ran the brush hog. The primary target was red trail from the volleyball courts to the old farm house. We then did all the crossover trails adjacent to the power lines at West Picnic.

Next week Al & I hope to clear red trail from the tennis center east to the paved path. We also plan to do the blue trails including Grail trail during the week as time permits.

TAS

Big Al

Before picture near the brick house from yesterday. Forgot to take an after picture. D'oh
PXL_20220618_135926702.jpg

TAS

While this might look a bit excessive to some folks....It provides for a clear line of sight.
A safety issue for a near 180 deg bend.

TAS

TAS

Hello TM people!

We will be meeting @ 9am on Saturday, July 16th at the East PICINC AREA. This due to the NJ Triathlon. Please be aware that there will be delays on local roads used for the cycle event. Hughs drive, Old Trenton Rd, Village road are subject to traffic control.
The plan at the moment will be trimming and brush hog work on the Blue Trails area adjacent to the East Picnic area.
Blue, Son of Blue, Blue by the lake and the Grail trail.

Volunteers are needed to follow and clear what the machine cannot reach - branches, face slappers etc.
We provide tools and gloves.
Please dress appropriately, apply insect repellent and bring water.

Thanks!

TAS

Last edited:

TAS

We had a delay to start due to traffic control for the NJ marathon but we got it all DONE!
Huge thanks to Al, Rudy, Matt, Mike and Chris.
Hot & Humid...What a bunch of sweat soaked guys we were exiting the woods.
Trails cleared/ hand clipped: Blue from East Picnic to the rowing center, Blue by the Lake, Son Of Blue, short Blue connector and the Grail trail.

TAS

Big Al

We had a delay to start due to traffic control for the NJ marathon but we got it all DONE!
Huge thanks to Al, Rudy, Matt, Mike and Chris.
Hot & Humid...What a bunch of sweat soaked guys we were exiting the woods.
Trails cleared/ hand clipped: Blue from East Picnic to the rowing center, Blue by the Lake, Son Of Blue, short Blue connector and the Grail trail.

TAS
I think I lost about 5 pounds out there. And my folding saw! Lol

TAS

Pretty sure I remember the spot where you cut that last tree. Next time I am on the Grail I'll take a look.

TAS
Forgot to post... I found it! A little rusty but nuth'n a bit of WD40, steel wool and elbow grease can't fix.

Last edited:

TAS

Updated TM Date for August!!! Date is now Sat 8/13. Plan is to run the brush hog on Blue North. If time allows we may also correct the big tree blocking the trail past the cornfield. (Gee it's about time eh?)

Volunteers are needed to follow and clear what the machine cannot reach - branches, face slappers etc.
We provide tools and gloves.
Yeah... it's gonna be hot and buggy.

Please dress appropriately, apply insect repellent and bring water.

TAS

PS Just so you all know the work is appreciated.... JORBA received a donation to MERCER - SMART in recognition of the TM we all do. Here is the attached note

Hi. I would like this donation to go toward SMART. The team working at Mercer County Park has done a great job beating back to summer growth. Thank you.

TAS

Well.... Al called me mid week and asked "Wanna run the hog on Sat for a few hours?" So we did!
Mick, Al & I cleared the Pax Twisties. Red trail from the Yellow trail crossover to the rocks and the connector trails between Yellow, Red and Van Nest. Also cleared the fishermen's trail. I ran the hog, Mick and Al did followup. No bugs and a good breeze.. but we all came out soaked. Not only from sweat but from water off the trees! Really pretty this morning.

Al took some pics of Mick in action... and a classic spider web shot!

The full TM is still schedule for next Sat 8/13. Blue North is the target area.

TAS

Attachments

• PXL_20220806_133929610.jpeg
    PXL_20220806_133929610.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220806_134152516.jpeg
    PXL_20220806_134152516.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 88
  • PXL_20220806_132102233.jpeg
    PXL_20220806_132102233.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 90

TAS

Yesterday we received a report of a large tree down on Blue Trail by the lake.
Mick & I had some time this morning and cleared it.
On our way in/out we did some spot trimming.

Remember... The full TM is still schedule for this Sat 8/13. Blue North is the target area.

TAS

Attachments

• DSCN2871.JPG
    DSCN2871.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN2870.JPG
    DSCN2870.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN2869.JPG
    DSCN2869.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 75

TAS

What a perfect day for TM! Sunny, cool and a breeze. Al and Rudy took off with the brush hog. Ray and I did follow up.
Blue North has been cleared from the "hump" to the gas line right of way (cornfield). Cut backs were done at corners for better visibility (line of sight). Ray & I trimmed out margins for sustainability. We also removed obstacles near the trail bed.

No before and after shots as we were too busy!
But for those that routinely ride this section the difference will be apparent.

Huge thanks to Al, Rudy and Ray.

We did not have time to address the tree, so the go around will have to do for now...

TAS

TAS

Hi Folks! NO Trail Maintenance this Saturday, September 17th.

We will resume in October.

If you see anything that needs immediate attention or have a suggestion please post here.

Thanks!

TAS

TAS

Decided to solo tackle the last untrimmed segment of Blue north (rowing center to Conover Road).

Started from the Conover road end.
Beautiful weather!!! String trimmer, loppers and chainsaw.

Got to the yellow brick road and stopped as it didn't look like it needed a trim out to south post road.

Took down four trees that were ready to fall. One had already and was hanging.

It's done and I am tired. Time for a beer!

TAS

TAS

Tentative TM Date for Mercer!! Stay tuned!!!
A few of us have been keeping up with the downed trees during Fall & Winter. We have a couple drainage projects that we plan to do this spring when the weather and ground are ready for digging. If the weather is suitable and getting a little cabin fever..... I will post a few days before and we can gather at the park to rehang missing trail markers on the Blue and Red trails.

TAS

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions