Marty’s Stephens Ride - 10am Sunday 8/15

ryderX

I’ve rode the loop a few times this weekend and I’d say it’s one of my ( or will be) favorite race loops. 4 laps of it will be very entertaining but it’s going to be a blast. What’s do you folks think about it ? I even took a few soil compaction samples.
DE8A85EE-DED4-4EA6-856A-E807BE5B8AD5.jpeg

Sven Migot

Fair amount of waiting? Come on dude. There was no waiting, don't lie. I had a mechanical and once I got started the group wasn't to be found. No one waited at the trail fork, no one attempted to come back. I yelled and yelled at each intersection. I'm over it now but don't sit there and lie, seriously.
You're wrong. After you told us to pass you, two of us waited & yelled for a while at what we thought was the first intersection. Finally we went back to find you and realized we passed two other forks that we missed. That was our mistake. You were gone and apparently you didn't have the route on your GPS. We yelled a bit more and decided to take one of the forks (off course) to try and find you, but no luck. Eventually we figured there were too many possible ways you went. We got back on course at some point and finished by ourselves. Never saw the group again. Sorry it happened.

Fat Trout

Fair amount of waiting? Come on dude. There was no waiting, don't lie. I had a mechanical and once I got started the group wasn't to be found. No one waited at the trail fork, no one attempted to come back. I yelled and yelled at each intersection. I'm over it now but don't sit there and lie, seriously.
Chill. Its not a big conspiracy. Your point was made and apologies were made.

SmooveP

Wow. Not lying and don't appreciate being called a liar. I don't know Ryan or anyone else in the group other than ChrisG, so not sure why I'd lie to defend him. I also don't know you and wouldn't insult you, or worse, deliberately leave you behind. We did in fact stop at the first intersection, and there was a discussion about the accuracy of the head count. Someone figured out that you were off the back and someone,(possibly 2 guys?) went back to look for you. There were also several other times during the ride where we all waited for stragglers, guys with mechanicals and a flat. Maybe a little disorganized in the beginning, but certainly no plot to leave you behind. This is just my perspective from the middle of the pack. Sorry you got left behind. Been there and it sucks.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
You're wrong. After you told us to pass you, two of us waited & yelled for a while at what we thought was the first intersection. Finally we went back to find you and realized we passed two other forks that we missed. That was our mistake. You were gone and apparently you didn't have the route on your GPS. We yelled a bit more and decided to take one of the forks (off course) to try and find you, but no luck. Eventually we figured there were too many possible ways you went. We got back on course at some point and finished by ourselves. Never saw the group again. Sorry it happened.
No I'm not wrong. I waited at the trail head. I didn't have it on my GPS? Why would I when it's a no drop ride? My mechanical issue lasted less than a minute, there was no one waiting. I'm not going back and forth with this. It is what it is, happy trails.

Big Dumb Animal

Hippo Nipples' #1 Fan
Wow. Not lying and don't appreciate being called a liar. I don't know Ryan or anyone else in the group other than ChrisG, so not sure why I'd lie to defend him. I also don't know you and wouldn't insult you, or worse, deliberately leave you behind. We did in fact stop at the first intersection, and there was a discussion about the accuracy of the head count. Someone figured out that you were off the back and someone,(possibly 2 guys?) went back to look for you. There were also several other times during the ride where we all waited for stragglers, guys with mechanicals and a flat. Maybe a little disorganized in the beginning, but certainly no plot to leave you behind. This is just my perspective from the middle of the pack. Sorry you got left behind. Been there and it sucks.
I don't care what you appreciate, I'm calling it for what it is. You didn't wait, there were several intersections.

Last edited:

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I’ve rode the loop a few times this weekend and I’d say it’s one of my ( or will be) favorite race loops. 4 laps of it will be very entertaining but it’s going to be a blast. What’s do you folks think about it ?
I said similar things to Ryan as we were riding the loop yesterday. It’s a ton of fun, while still being genuinely challenging. A legitimate mountain bike race course. Props to everyone involved.

Not to mention, how nice will it be to ride a lap of that length in an endurance race, instead of hamster-wheeling a 5 mile course for 5+ hours.

ryderX

I said similar things to Ryan as we were riding the loop yesterday. It’s a ton of fun, while still being genuinely challenging. A legitimate mountain bike race course. Props to everyone involved.

Not to mention, how nice will it be to ride a lap of that length in an endurance race, instead of hamster-wheeling a 5 mile course for 5+ hours.
And factor in the opportunity to roll by the car and resupply each lap. Stephens may be the perfect MTB endurance race venue.

Zack 54

My Garmin recorded 12.93 mi. yesterday…. That is a surprisingly good lap for an endurance race in NNJ!

Top Bottom