Looking to get back to vinyl: any turntable recommendations?

Wow, I didn't realize people drop this kinda coin on this stuff. Also wondering how much you all put into room acoustics when spending that kinda money? Lots of factors to consider on that front. Did Niel Young's hi-res streaming platform ever take off? Googled and the answer is po-no it didn't. Lol. Jmanic has my records.

Reporting back after having purchased the Fluance RT-85. It only arrived on the 24th due to inventory shortage of the color I wanted. Bought some LPs in the meantime, got the preamp, got some decent RCA cables, grounding wire, etc. Now that it is here, I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. It has been almost 30 years since I put on an LP. I have missed this so much and didn't even know it. I'm not sure what I like most about it, but if I had to pick, it is that once I set my system to output sound that comes from the turntable I no longer need to mess with that damn equalizer. It is set for a fairly flat response and stays that way for most LPs I put on and I am happy. If I play digital content (I ripped all my CDs into FLAC), I find myself always jumping from one track to another and messing with the equalizer to get the next track to sound right. That takes away from being able to just enjoy the music. And the wife loves the sound too!

So that's a $500 TT. I could have easily paid twice as much, but I ride an aluminum frame MTB with a 2-by drivetrain. It would be illogical to do that.

Thought I would throw this in here if anyone is looking for old vinyl or any collectibles this guy is located behind us in Rochelle Park on 17

Its a little place but he gets some rare stuff apparently.

1.8g tracking force and 1.8 anti-skating

Or if you're asking about something else, here's the photo:

View attachment 146725
Basic kit, have a something similar

Much nicer option

Since we're posting accessories, here's some things that made the cut for me.

This stylus cleaner made my radar a few months back,
and is pretty damn awesome-
lower the needle onto the blob once or twice, and lift. Done.
No brushing that can possibly tweak the stylus.
If you have a set up that hasn't been cleaned in a bit, you'll hear the difference for sure.
Onzow Zerodust

I use this record brush and solution every play:
Big Fudge

And this is what I use for washing the platters.
Record Friend
Aside from cleaning up second hand discs, it helps keep static down.

I haven't looked into cartridge alignment because the sound is good. If I can't detect alignment issues with my hearing, I won't worry about it. But I'll probably do something soon to prevent excessive wear in case alignment is not ideal. I did get a basic cleaning kit.

The one thing I want to look into is minimizing static...I get the odd static pop which I'm not sure I should be annoyed about or appreciate it as a feature of vinyl. I'm leaning to the annoyance side, but not enough to buy a humidifier. This TT purchase thing could easily become a rabit hole. I need to keep it under control and keep putting $ away for a new bike.

The one thing I want to look into is minimizing static...
For static see the Record washer I posted above- a good bath does wonders.

Then you can replace any paper sleeves with antistatic rice paper ones.
This also helps keep dust down too.
I think I’ve used the Big Fudge ones.

Any advise on how to stabilize a TT in a house with a shaky floor?
Some type of rubber/foam feet to isolate the TT?

Last edited:
Nice TT.

Do you need to "double" ground like that? I had assumed a single ground wire to the pre amp would cover it.

I just sold my stand alone preamp, it was more expensive than my TT... Actually I think the tt was free.

I'd like to own more records but damn it's expensive. And now I have lossless streaming through Amazon Music and a good DAC, nice headphones... It's my first time getting into audio it's quite a treat

Back
Top Bottom