Looking to get back to vinyl: any turntable recommendations?

carvegybe

Something tells me this question is best placed here rather than in some audioholics forum. I trust MTBers with their choices....after all, you chose to be MTBers!

So which turntable? Looking for sub $500 price level (even better if good quality and below $300), no preamp, belt driven, moving magnet cartridge.

My current preference is this: https://www.fluance.com/rt82w-reference-high-fidelity-vinyl-turntable-natural-walnut

Thanks!

carvegybe

My favorite is Linn LP12. Would be slightly over your budget
I thought MTBers would recommend stuff that beyond a certain price point would lead to a conclusion that a new bike is better. The turntable may not compete with a new bike.

onetracker

IMO...Save up a couple more bucks and get a VPI Cliffwood with a Grado cartridge, $1K. Made in NJ (all parts and assembly) by one of the most respected turntable mfgs on the planet. GL!

Also, consider a vintage VPI but they really hold their value.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I got the Fluance. Pretty happy with it. But I don't have much to compare it to other than Technics SL1200.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Check out U-turn audio, I know people who work there and it’s seems like a good company. Pretty reasonable prices and hand built in USA.

My philosophy is don’t go overboard on equipment, save your money for the actual media.

carvegybe

IMO...Save up a couple more bucks and get a VPI Cliffwood with a Grado cartridge, $1K. Made in NJ (all parts and assembly) by one of the most respected turntable mfgs on the planet. GL!

Also, consider a vintage VPI but they really hold their value
Cool. Didn't know there is a manufacturer in NJ. That said, $1k is a lot of money. Isn't that price point well beyond point of diminishing returns where only serious audiophiles value the difference? I thought the diminishing returns start to apply around $600-$800 range. I do appreciate the suggestion, but if I have $1k to spare it is going towards the bike.

carvegybe

Check out U-turn audio, I know people who work there and it’s seems like a good company. Pretty reasonable prices and hand built in USA.

My philosophy is don’t go overboard on equipment, save your money for the actual media.
That's my philosophy as well, but also sticking to the idea that 1) quality starts at the source and 2) bike first then sound. Also, looked into U-Turn Audio. Interesting. General feedback is sound quality is excellent but people are complaining about belt falling off. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:

onetracker

Cool. Didn't know there is a manufacturer in NJ. That said, $1k is a lot of money. Isn't that price point well beyond point of diminishing returns where only serious audiophiles value the difference? I thought the diminishing returns start to apply around $600-$800 range. I do appreciate the suggestion, but if I have $1k to spare it is going towards the bike.
It depends on the other equipment in your system. Believe it or not, $1K is still at the entry level. My thought was if you were planning on spending $800, then save a bit more and get the VPI because it is quite good, made completely in NJ and if you need to sell in the future it will really hold it’s value. VPI turntables and record cleaners are legendary, sound amazing and last a really long time. Just my opinion.

Top Bottom