Looking to get back to vinyl: any turntable recommendations?

IMO...Save up a couple more bucks and get a VPI Cliffwood with a Grado cartridge, $1K. Made in NJ (all parts and assembly) by one of the most respected turntable mfgs on the planet. GL!

Also, consider a vintage VPI but they really hold their value.
I have a VPI model 3 with a Sumiko arm and adcom MC cart on it at the moment. Have three other carts but this one sounds best with my latest listenings. VPIs sound great but temperamental with setup. My others is an older Philips to play 78s and a Rega Planar. I think used Regas are around $500. What are you using to driver your TT?

@carvegybe the go-to budget TT ten years ago were the Pro-ject components. Seems low end is now at $500 which is in line with the RT-85. Not listening or fiddling with either, the RT-82 looks like a good buy. I like the motor design and classic look. Though the platter seems a bit light (for comparison my Hw-19 is 20lbs) and the arm is what you'd expect for under 500. Pro-jects come with good cart as stock. Carts and arms are what most end up changing. But for the Fluance and Pro-ject TTs it like putting XTR on a Giant Talon....

I have a VPI model 3 with a Sumiko arm and adcom MC cart on it at the moment. Have three other carts but this one sounds best with my latest listenings. VPIs sound great but temperamental with setup. My others is an older Philips to play 78s and a Rega Planar. I think used Regas are around $500. What are you using to driver your TT
Planning to use the Rega Fono Mini A2D MM preamp.

Based on feedback I am now forced to increase my TT budget. I thought I could avoid this on a MTB forum...this is why I didn't go to them audiophile forums. Damn it!

Which Rega Planar do you have? I might as well go for RP3....

@carvegybe the go-to budget TT ten years ago were the Pro-ject components. Seems low end is now at $500 which is in line with the RT-85. Not listening or fiddling with either, the RT-82 looks like a good buy. I like the motor design and classic look. Though the platter seems a bit light (for comparison my Hw-19 is 20lbs) and the arm is what you'd expect for under 500. Pro-jects come with good cart as stock. Carts and arms are what most end up changing. But for the Fluance and Pro-ject TTs it like putting XTR on a Giant Talon....
Ok, say I up the budget to $1,000. What would be the shortlist?

1. Rega Planar 3
2. Pro-ject X1
3. VPI Cliffwood

Planning to use the Rega Fono Mini A2D MM preamp.

Based on feedback I am now forced to increase my TT budget. I thought I could avoid this on a MTB forum...this is why I didn't go to them audiophile forums. Damn it!

Which Rega Planar do you have? I might as well go for RP3....
Older 3 with wood plinth. Arm needs a rewire but I'll likely upgrade to the new RB330 when one of my kids decides they want the table. P1s are good upgradable foundations, but like other hobbies, absolute money pits. I haven't spent a dime on audio since I signed up here, as the disposable income was going to bikes. No funds are diverting to an old car....

Ok, say I up the budget to $1,000. What would be the shortlist?

1. Rega Planar 3
2. Pro-ject X1
3. VPI Cliffwood

Honestly, I'd stick to your first choice the RT-82, looks like a deal for the price and if Jimmy approves, I'm sure it's decent. Want to double the budget? Rega P2 is very upgradable. Even the P3 has flaws, look at all the upgrade options. OneG? I'd go used on audiogon. The sweet spot for very good TTs are 2-3k. Think bike pricing, 1k doesn't differ much from $500 but 2K are different worlds apart.

Honestly, I'd stick to your first choice the RT-82, looks like a deal for the price and if Jimmy approves, I'm sure it's decent. Want to double the budget? Rega P2 is very upgradable. Even the P3 has flaws, look at all the upgrade options. OneG? I'd go used on audiogon. The sweet spot for very good TTs are 2-3k. Think bike pricing, 1k doesn't differ much from $500 but 2K are different worlds apart.

And THIS is why MTBNJ is best place for audio advice! Thanks!

I have a VPI model 3 with a Sumiko arm and adcom MC cart on it at the moment. Have three other carts but this one sounds best with my latest listenings. VPIs sound great but temperamental with setup. My others is an older Philips to play 78s and a Rega Planar. I think used Regas are around $500. What are you using to driver your TT?
I totally agree. I have owned VPI, Rega and Pro-Ject units over the years. For a while I was buying and selling a bunch of vintage gear. Right now, I have a odd setup: B&O Beogram RX2 with a B&O Cartridge, titanium arm and aluminum plynth with a Parasound Phono Preamp. It actually really sounds warm but it it is the weakest part of my system (but also gets the least amount of use). I needed something sleek and low profile due to room layout. I admit that I listen to CDs quite often and now my CD collection is much larger than my vinyl collection.

There are so many good turntables hitting the market these days. But IMO VPI products are hard to beat, sound great and I love the fact all mfg and assembly is done in NJ. If we move, I would keep my current system (Bryston 4B amp, Hafler Class A pre, Magnepan 1.5qr, NAD tuner and Rotel CD player) and get a vintage Conrad Johnson Phono Pre and the VPI Cliffwood (probably with a Grado Cartridge).

I totally agree. I have owned VPI, Rega and Pro-Ject units over the years. For a while I was buying and selling a bunch of vintage gear. Right now, I have a odd setup: B&O Beogram RX2 with a B&O Cartridge, titanium arm and aluminum plynth with a Parasound Phono Preamp. It actually really sounds warm but it it is the weakest part of my system (but also gets the least amount of use). I needed something sleek and low profile due to room layout. I admit that I listen to CDs quite often and now my CD collection is much larger than my vinyl collection.

There are so many good turntables hitting the market these days. But IMO VPI products are hard to beat, sound great and I love the fact all mfg and assembly is done in NJ. If we move, I would keep my current system (Bryston 4B amp, Hafler Class A pre, Magnepan 1.5qr, NAD tuner and Rotel CD player) and get a vintage Conrad Johnson Phono Pre and the VPI Cliffwood (probably with a Grado Cartridge).
I googled some bits of what you wrote, such as Bryston 4B amp. You seem to have some kit that puts a different perspective on a $1k TT, which looks like you got for spare change when you got the amp.

This is a rabbit hole that calls for a nice bunny hop (which I also cant do)

Sticking to Fluance methinks

But I think having a listen to your kit must be quite an experience. Hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:
I googled some bits of what you wrote, such as Bryston 4B amp. You seem to have some kit that puts a different perspective on a $1k TT, which looks like you got for spare change when you got the amp.

This is a rabbit hole that calls for a nice bunny hop (which I also cant do)

Sticking to Fluance methinks

But I think having a listen to your kit must be quite an experience. Hope you enjoy it!
:thumbsup: The Fluance looks cool. Hopefully you will post up after you give it a listen!

All of my gear is vintage so it was not as costly as you may think, plus I have had it for a while. The Bryston stuff is cool because it has a 20yr warrantee and even after the warr expires the factory will bring stuff up to current specs for a very nominal fee upon sending it back to VT.

Happy Holidays!

Nice gear, I also have a 4b driving a pair of Apogee ribbons. It's a beast and far too big for the room I have them in. Maggie's are great, hands down the best bang for the buck at any price range. I have a 40 yo set I use with the trainer and it still sounds great.

Nice gear, I also have a 4b driving a pair of Apogee ribbons. It's a beast and far too big for the room I have them in. Maggie's are great, hands down the best bang for the buck at any price range. I have a 40 yo set I use with the trainer and it still sounds great.
You too, very cool! My Maggies are not young either but sound nice and look mint. At some point I may send them back for a refresh or upgrade. I would like to go from a Maggie QR to Full-R at some point but they get pricey. A pair of 3.5's in cherry with grey grills (my 1.5's are cherry with grey grills) would be sweet. How do you like the Apogee's? Very different look compared to a Magneplanar; I have never heard a pair. Also, I guess I could consider a pair of Martin Logan's if I hit the lottery.

So I ordered the Fluance RT-85, after looking into the Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge. At this price range none of the competing brands offer this, except U-Turn with their custom set up, which was a consideration but I let it go due to many concerns about the belt slipping. Now I need to buy some vinyl. There are some must-haves such as Floyd and Zeppelin but also decided to get Beth Hart's War in My Mind album which has some awesome content.

There is so much music I love and I can't have it all in vinyl. What would be your top three vinyl recommendations? Consider taking advantage of all-analog path to the ear. Also, make sure one of the three is off the beaten track.

My current top three might be:

1. Chris Rea - The Blue Jukebox
2. Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words

But I'd probably come up with a different set of three each day....

You too, very cool! My Maggies are not young either but sound nice and look mint. At some point I may send them back for a refresh or upgrade. I would like to go from a Maggie QR to Full-R at some point but they get pricey. A pair of 3.5's in cherry with grey grills (my 1.5's are cherry with grey grills) would be sweet. How do you like the Apogee's? Very different look compared to a Magneplanar; I have never heard a pair. Also, I guess I could consider a pair of Martin Logan's if I hit the lottery.
I really like ribbon speakers, my other set of ribbons are BG Radia 520s drive by a Counterpoint amp. They are easy to place and have a wider sweet spot than planned from my experience and setups. I've listened to a number of Logans but never really impressed by them even in a pro demo. To be fair it was their mid range offerings so can compare to the full non-hybrids on the top line. My buddy has the Tympani 4 panels with Mc tube monoblocks and are probably the best sounding setup. But like you said that's lottery money there. I'd like to get a hybrid tubed preamp and work the Hw-19 to and external motor. But with the little time I'm using the equipment, no unlike my bikes, I can't see burning more cash rn.

I bet the Tympani 4 panels with Mc tube monoblocks sound great. That is lottery money! While I love music and good gear, I would always prefer to be out on the bike :) Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom