Looking for a ~$1500 hardtail. Suggestions?

jesstercpa

Hello friends,

Now that I have liquidated the TrickStar and freed up some cash, I need to replace my 20+ year old GT with something new.

The slack-head-angle/single-front-chainring "Trail" genre is very attractive to me. I ride for fun, with several other 40-ish year old Dads, mostly at 6-Mile. I don't need super technical, I don't need super-anything, except for fun. Would prefer to get something I don't have to upgrade, would just like to ride & maintain the bike.

I was all but set on buying the 2015 Kona Taro 29er ( http://2015.konaworld.com/taro.cfm ), and then I rode the 2015 Raleigh Tokul 27.5 ( http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-dirt-trail-tokul-4130 ), and really liked that. Now I'm torn, and looking to make sure I am not overlooking anything else.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Any thoughts on either the Kona or the Raleigh? I suffer from massive buyers remorse after just about any purchase, so the more info I have before the buy, the more comfy I feel.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jesse

That Steel Raleigh looks like so much fun. I love the feel of my ROS9. Decent fork, Zee drivetrain, plus the newest RF crank setup. Middle of the road geo with short chainstays. It has fun written all over it

I like kona. Almost got a taro before i looked into the honzo.More than happy with it. I would agree with steel being the way to go on a slack fun hardtail.

My buddy rides the ros9. Also super fun. But for the price I prefer the honzo over the ros.

Hello friends,

Now that I have liquidated the TrickStar and freed up some cash, I need to replace my 20+ year old GT with something new.

The slack-head-angle/single-front-chainring "Trail" genre is very attractive to me. I ride for fun, with several other 40-ish year old Dads, mostly at 6-Mile. I don't need super technical, I don't need super-anything, except for fun. Would prefer to get something I don't have to upgrade, would just like to ride & maintain the bike.

I was all but set on buying the 2015 Kona Taro 29er ( http://2015.konaworld.com/taro.cfm ), and then I rode the 2015 Raleigh Tokul 27.5 ( http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes-dirt-trail-tokul-4130 ), and really liked that. Now I'm torn, and looking to make sure I am not overlooking anything else.

Anyone have any other suggestions? Any thoughts on either the Kona or the Raleigh? I suffer from massive buyers remorse after just about any purchase, so the more info I have before the buy, the more comfy I feel.

Thank you so much in advance!

Jesse

If you are going to enter the 29 vs 27.5 debate, we must first know your height.

Personally I wouldn't touch a 27.5 hartail.. No way never. BUT, I might consider one that would fit 29er and 27 x 3" tires..

If you are going to enter the 29 vs 27.5 debate, we must first know your height.

Personally I wouldn't touch a 27.5 hartail.. No way never. BUT, I might consider one that would fit 29er and 27 x 3" tires..

For real. 29 is awesome for the northeast. Especially on a hardtail. It really helps compensate for lack of rear squish. Its not a replacment for it, but ill take what i can get. My gf rides a 650 only cause she wanted a bigger wheel and the 29 frame we found that fit her looked absolutely ridiculous on her at 5ft tall and change. My thought process when getting my hardtail went something like..

..Should get a 29er to help compensate for no rear suspension
..should get a steel frame to compensate for no rear suspension
..slacker ht for fun
..short cs for the fun (in the turns)

This is the 2016 beast of the east

-120mm front fork remote lockout
-1 x 10 out of the box 30t x 11/40
-27.5 x 3". (Can also run a 29er wheel set)
-Shimano -hydro disc brakes
-tubeless ready out of the box

This is a hell of a bike for the money.

$1499

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 228
Hi @jdog does that come in XS and would it be appropriate for someone 5feet tall who most likely won't ever be more than 5'3?

I am 6'0" approx 260lbs. Relatively normal build & length.

Hi @jdog does that come in XS and would it be appropriate for someone 5feet tall who most likely won't ever be more than 5'3?
The smallest is a small No XS in this one.
Here are Geo #'s on the small to compare to some other bikes.
ETT- 22.4"
SO- 28.4"
Stack- 24.2"
Reach- 15.2"

Welcome to the mtbnj site, Jesse.
Sounds like some tough choices to weigh.

Sounds like it would be a great option to check out the Cannondale at Halter's as recommended by @jdog . I highly recommend going to Halter's

I will try to get down to your shop on Friday this week and see what you have and talk about what I should get.

Thank you!

In love with my teek superfly ss. $1450 out the door. I spent an extra $50 to go tubeless and $115 for carbon bars(wider too) and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Hands down the best climber I have ever ridden. I'd like carbon wheels and seatpost one year if the budget ever allows. Oh, and it's 20.5 lbs stock.

I have to give a strong nudge toward 29er or 27.5+ for a guy your height on a hardtail.
what are your thoughts on someone a shade over 5'8"? I have a 29r FS now and at times feel too tall on drops and techy stuff

what are your thoughts on someone a shade over 5'8"? I have a 29r FS now and at times feel too tall on drops and techy stuff
Well - here is a female opinion: I am slightly over 5'8" and have been riding a FS 29er for the last 6 years. Granted I don't do big drops but I do ride techy stuff and have never felt too high up. I imagine its all about where you are "in" the bike - when I am riding tricky stuff I lower my seat so I feel more stable and "contained". Also, my bike is an "all mountain" type (Turner Sultan) so its heavier and a bit slacker to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom