Light Sale:

Shaggz

A strong 7
beyond bike dot com is giving an additional 10% off light orders through October 2 - On-Line Promo Code = GOTLIGHT

S

Stan LeCupp

Performance bike also has 15% on purchases over $100 till sept 30th.Coupon code 6001726.

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
NJ-XC-Justin said:
My wife will kill me if one more package arrives from Performance Bikes. The deals are too good to pass up!

lol, my wife does the same... tongue in cheek she says: here's ANOTHER one from pricepoint.com

i hear pixy get's the same thing from her husband... just kidding El ! :)

TonyC

Oh man, I know what you mean. If the wife doesn't know I bought something which she rarely does, I get nervous when I hear the delivery truck coming down the street. After tracking the package all week I know when it's coming. It's usually around the same time at night for deliveries so I conveniently go outside to intercept the package.
I should just send it to my neighbors house and pick it up later.. Would be much easier. :D

I wonder if she does the same thing.. I must admit women are much smarter when it comes to being crafty.

Btw, Thanks for the headsup on the Light discounts.. They sure would come in handy when the wife makes me sleep outside with them.

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
cheap route...

While I already have a couple light sets, one helmut and one bar mounted, they are getting old and the batteries are giving out.
Thought I'd share with you a cheap way to get batteries if you run a 6V system.
I buy 7.2V NiMH race car batteries from Radio Shack for $25 and remove one of the cells to drop the voltage to 6V. They are 3300mAH so provide 1 hour run time with 20W, 2 Hours at 12W.

Be careful with your connections though, dont want batteries exploding in your pack!

ytc100

trailhead said:
While I already have a couple light sets, one helmut and one bar mounted, they are getting old and the batteries are giving out.
Thought I'd share with you a cheap way to get batteries if you run a 6V system.
I buy 7.2V NiMH race car batteries from Radio Shack for $25 and remove one of the cells to drop the voltage to 6V. They are 3300mAH so provide 1 hour run time with 20W, 2 Hours at 12W.

Be careful with your connections though, dont want batteries exploding in your pack!

Do you use your original charger? I've been looking to do exactly what you're talking about.

J-Dro

They have a ton of different battery replacement options at www.batteryspace.com

BTW, You can safely overvoltage a 6v bulb to 7.2v. You will shorten the bulb life somewhat but it will still normally last for 100's of hours. The light will be noticably brighter too.

ytc100

mtbdawgJeff said:
They have a ton of different battery replacement options at www.batteryspace.com

BTW, You can safely overvoltage a 6v bulb to 7.2v. You will shorten the bulb life somewhat but it will still normally last for 100's of hours. The light will be noticably brighter too.

Yeah I've seen that site and read info about overvolting bulbs. I can't seem to find good info on charging though. Still trying to figure out if I could use my nicad batt charger with niMH batteries of the same voltage.

edit: Found some good info on chargers/charging here:http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

Seems like I would need a different charger.

Last edited:

J-Dro

ytc100 said:
Yeah I've seen that site and read info about overvolting bulbs. I can't seem to find good info on charging though. Still trying to figure out if I could use my nicad batt charger with niMH batteries of the same voltage.

edit: Found some good info on chargers/charging here:http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-11.htm

Seems like I would need a different charger.

You could probably get away with using your NiCad charger but you run a risk of cooking your NiMH battery if you're not careful. A NiMH smart charger uses a temperature sensor to protect the cells from overcharging. Batteryspace sells chargers for around $20.

Even if you get a new charger and battery pack combo, it would still be a fraction of the price that Niterider would charge for a replacement battery.

ytc100

mtbdawgJeff said:
You could probably get away with using your NiCad charger but you run a risk of cooking your NiMH battery if you're not careful. A NiMH smart charger uses a temperature sensor to protect the cells from overcharging. Batteryspace sells chargers for around $20.

Even if you get a new charger and battery pack combo, it would still be a fraction of the price that Niterider would charge for a replacement battery.

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to buy some new nicad cells and rebuild the pack myself. Should cost me less than 1/2 of what cygolite wants and should be better quality.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wow, that site is awesome. i'm going to have to figure out which batteries will work with my different lights and hook em up.

Top Bottom