Lewis Morris

cham666

I'm entering the sport class SS race this year and I was wondering what gearing you suggest for a 29er at Lewis Morris. This will be my first time ever riding these trails. Thanks in advance.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think you need to give more info on your background in terms of fitness experience, race background, prefer long walks on the beach versus candle lit dinners, etc.

cham666

I'm currently running 32x20. I ride Allaire, Kittatinny, Hartshorne, and some of the easier parts of allamuchy with no troubles. This is only my second race.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Keep the 32x20. If you want I'm sure one of us could show you the race course from last year and you could make an assessment from that.

ytc100

I agree with the above, you'll be fine at LM if you're comfortable with that gearing in the other places you mentioned.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm running 32x20 on my mary (SS 29er) and the numbers seem to be good for LM, KVSP and mahlon. i've been really considering going to a 19T but personally wouldn't do it for the race.

i guess i'll see you at the start line...i'm running in the SS sport class as well. on my SS 29er with the 32x20 gearing. and it's my second race too. hmmm. are you stalking me? :D

cham666

i guess i'll see you at the start line...i'm running in the SS sport class as well. on my SS 29er with the 32x20 gearing. and it's my second race too. hmmm. are you stalking me? :D

Yes, I have been stalking you for some time now. The human body I am currently residing in is near its end and I'm in desperate need of a new host. See you on the start line. I'll be on a Green MC.

Does anyone want to meet up for a ride there next Saturday(5/12)?

D

DANSPANK

I'm just about to head there today. I don't really know the race loop but I want to get in at least 20 miles. I park at the lot next to the Dog Park - Grey Audi with a rack on the top. Brown Stumpjumper and, today only, I'll be in my Union Jack jersey - just so you know I'm German. I'll be there at about 10:30ish.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Oh BTW I was out there this morning (yes Kirt I heeded you're warning about CR being wet still) and got a great view of a black bear. I was on the yellow trail climbing the fire road, having just come down that small connecting red/orange trail from the square middle of the park. I went down it pretty quick so I think I scared him out, then basically started going the direction he was going. He ran away of course, and was on top of the ridge in no time while I was slogging up the hill.

Also I put together what I would consider the perfect LM loop. It does all the good trails in both directions, no flat stopping and turning around - everything is a loop of some kind, and no double riding in the same direction. 15 miles total and it hits almost every single trail in the park. I'll try to figure out how to describe it and post it up later.

ytc100

Oh BTW I was out there this morning (yes Kirt I heeded you're warning about CR being wet still) and got a great view of a black bear. I was on the yellow trail climbing the fire road, having just come down that small connecting red/orange trail from the square middle of the park. I went down it pretty quick so I think I scared him out, then basically started going the direction he was going. He ran away of course, and was on top of the ridge in no time while I was slogging up the hill.

Also I put together what I would consider the perfect LM loop. It does all the good trails in both directions, no flat stopping and turning around - everything is a loop of some kind, and no double riding in the same direction. 15 miles total and it hits almost every single trail in the park. I'll try to figure out how to describe it and post it up later.

Surprised you saw a bear at LM but then again I've seen them more than once at the Tourne which is just as surprising to me.

I'm curious about your loop. I know there are some trails I'm missing back there.

D

DANSPANK

He wasn't there when I was there - or at least I didn't see him. I saw about 5 or 6 other riders.

I put together a 22mile ride on both sides of the road - loved it!
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2651455

Anyone watching the cyclo cross on Comcast channel 8? Those are some double-hard bastards but they're endoing on a regular basis so it's pretty entertaining...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yes, I have been stalking you for some time now. The human body I am currently residing in is near its end and I'm in desperate need of a new host. See you on the start line. I'll be on a Green MC.

Does anyone want to meet up for a ride there next Saturday(5/12)?

i'll likely get out there again one day next weekend but can't tell for sure which one. post up a ride later in the week. my start times have been changed on me and now i'm looking closer to 9:00--9:30 on the weekends as opposed to the "norm" times.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok I have attached a file with the color coded LM map. I have added letters to the pertinent intersections. I'm just going to hit reply now to make sure this saves the attachment.

Attachments

• lewis-morris-2004-color.jpg
    lewis-morris-2004-color.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 572

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dammit I typed out a big reply and lost it by mistake.

Ok the super loop:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-H
E-D-C-F-E-H
I-J-K-L-J-M-G-F
C-B-M-J-L-K-J-I
H-G-M-B-A

Total is about 15 miles. Add the "upper loop" and Gilligan's island and you get that close to 19. Race loop gets you close to 26 if you tack that on. The race loop:

A-B-C-D-E-F-G-M-J-I-L-J-K

There's a new trail to the right of F-G, and some markers to the left of it so this will likely change soon. There's also some markers on the D-E yellow trail which is much needed because that drains poorly. I leave off the D-E red trail because it's just fire road.

I also don't hit the I-L yellow trail/fire road. And the orange trail to the left of G, which is a washed out rocky trail. If someone can do a reasonable job of getting that in there I'm all ears but that doesn't flow well because it cuts that nice yellow trail stretch in half.

I saw the bear as I came down G-H and started going up H-E. He went up the ridge to the right of H-E.

Ok to pre-rag on myself:

D-R-I-N-K-Y-O-U-R-O-V-A-L-T-I-N-E

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
is this the 15 mile loop? how long does it take you to complete it?

I think it was about 1:40 but I ended up doing all the other stuff I mentioned so I don't remember. In all little under 3 hours for the 26+ miles. No PP other than getting from 24 to the Gilligan's area, which is mostly climbing. So this is a pretty darned good cardio workout.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions