Leg Armor

mattyfury

What kind of protection do you guys wear on your xc rides? Going out to Jungle Habitat or even Six Mile Run.

I just got clips and I forget to clip out... a lot.

What do you guys wear other then a helmet and gloves.

I think I need to get shin/knee guards but I'm scared of getting anything DH oriented as it might be heavy and hot to ride in.

-Mat

Other than a helmet and gloves at JHab? SPF 50 if I remember to put it on and maybe some bug stuff. I've seen a few riders with armor there but it seems hot and constricting. I've fallen and had some rather tasty bruising but I don't consider armor a necessity for myself.

I wear chest armor with sleeves when I bomb down Sourlands, because I imagine hitting rocks at full tilt would be bad. The only thing that has managed to get hit by rocks there have been my brake rotors =(

This is what I got, it was 60 clams on chainlove one day so I thought what the hey

http://www.atomic-moto.com/catalog/2008_SixSixOne_Comp_Suit_Black.jpg

(It is hot and restricting like you think but gives me some added confidence with the pointy rocks)

I've got a pair of Fox shin/knee guards that I wear on every ride except if it's something like Lewis-Morris. The way I see it an ounce of protection is worth a pound of cure. I've banged my knees and shins way too many times in the past so I've been using the guards for years now and have no regrets.

Are they heavy or hot? Maybe a little, but to be honest I don't notice them. I actually think they help me ride better because I'm not as tentative as I might be in a rock garden or on a drop.

Just my opinion.

661 make these soft neoprene wraps that have no hard parts. I would use those for xc. Breathable and not clunky. It's probably likewearing knee warmers.

Personally I pack my Kyle straights and strap them on up top.

661 make these soft neoprene wraps that have no hard parts. I would use those for xc. Breathable and not clunky. It's probably likewearing knee warmers.

Personally I pack my Kyle straights and strap them on up top.

You're probably talking about the 661 Veggies.

They were an option when I was looking for guards but heard too many people say they keep sliding down while pedaling. The hardshell on Kyle Strait kind of hooks on the upper part of the knee and doesn't slide down.

Bug spray in the warmer months. :)
Same here. You should really consider getting more practice clipping in/out if your having difficulty. Padding could help for tip overs but its not going to help if you take a fall one way and your bike goes the other way and you end up blowing a knee up internally. At most of the local trails a helmet and gloves are all that is really needed, the trick is to progress though and not get in over your head. You probably should take a couple rides at Six Mile and get comfortable with clipless before heading up to Jungle where you could get banged up on the rocks.

I wear bug spray, sun block, helmet, and gloves for protection .... my scrapes, scabs, and scars I wear as badges of honor! :getsome:

i usually save the leg armor for lift serviced riding. too restrictive and not really necessary for most of the cross country places i ride.

Back
Top Bottom