Labyrinthitis

Shaggz

A strong 7
So, I spent the better part of the day in the ER, and after the EKG, CAT scan, blood work and chest x-ray ruled out stroke, heart attack and a brain tumor, they sent me home with this diagnosis:

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic290.htm

Symptoms include malaise, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, confusion, blurry vision, muscle weakness and slurred speech. Not unlike how I normally go through life. It is not serious, but certainly interferes with "life".

Shaggz

A strong 7
it is related to the vestibular system, and there are these tiny particles, grains if you will, that are displaced. I am on an antihystemine right now. As goofy as it may sound, the treatment is a series of rapid motions with the head in an attempt to get them back in place. The symptoms of vertigo may lat several days to a week, and it may take as long as a month for all to be right again.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
gonna start hitting up the local deathmetal shows?

beavis_and_butthead_headbanging.gif

Shaggz

A strong 7
for those of you keeping score at home, it has been 11 days since I have been on the bike. Went to the ENT today, and he told me it is actually vestibular neuritis. Basically, a virus that effects the vestibular nerve. I opted for a 12 day course of prednasone (sp?), which should start having positive effects in the next couple of days, as opposed to the wait 2-3 weeks and see if it clears up on it's own. If all goes as planned, I should be back on the bike early next week...

anrothar

entirely thrilled
down the prednisone with something thick, like a smoothie. if those little pills touch the back of your tongue, it'll take at least a full meal to get the taste to go away. bleh. for the life of me, i could never understand why they couldn't candy coat them...

good to hear it's curable though!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
When I read the first post, I thought you were busting chops (must've something about the word "malaise" in the post) ;)

After reading the link, I saw you were not.

anyway, hope the prednasone course works out... I did that once too and did not notice a bad taste like Sean mentions, but then again, I was probably washing it down with something sweet... like Guinness.

Good luck with it Steve.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
for those of you keeping score at home, it has been 11 days since I have been on the bike. Went to the ENT today, and he told me it is actually vestibular neuritis. Basically, a virus that effects the vestibular nerve. I opted for a 12 day course of prednasone (sp?), which should start having positive effects in the next couple of days, as opposed to the wait 2-3 weeks and see if it clears up on it's own. If all goes as planned, I should be back on the bike early next week...

Have fun. I've been on Prednisone for the past month. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night...usually 3. I have been at the shop from 8:30 this morning until 11:30 tonight...I'll be awake before 3 AM, ready to do it again. Its like having Starbucks in your veins.

On the bright side, it does help your riding.;)

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Have fun. I've been on Prednisone for the past month. I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night...usually 3. I have been at the shop from 8:30 this morning until 11:30 tonight...I'll be awake before 3 AM, ready to do it again. Its like having Starbucks in your veins.

On the bright side, it does help your riding.;)

Does it make your brain run faster than your words can come out of your mouth?

That is what coffee or red bull does to me.

My A.D.D goes double time.

I bet i would to a lot of tune-ups on those things..

Not fun.

j

Shaggz

A strong 7
i went from sleeping 14 plus hours a day to 5 hours last night. i hope you're right, gary, about it helping my riding ;)

J

joanqs

prednisone will keep you up, make you feel like scrubbing the floors, or digging a ditch around your house. ask the doctor for lunesta or some other sleep aid so that you can shut down at night.

Shaggz

A strong 7
lol - no, i usually get about 8 hours a night. The past two weeks, it was either sleep or feel nauseous, so I opted to go the sleep route.

Carole, I cleaned the kitchen, including the cabinets and did three loads of laundry around 10:30 last night. If I could only shift this to riding, I would be ok.

Shaggz

A strong 7
not sure, she bore most of the household duties over the past two weeks. i may have to borrow that special bottle that sean set aside for his next night with fred.

Top Bottom