Jungle Recap

Thanks for putting on a great race! I noticed my time wasn't adjusted for the staggered start- just sent over an email. Had a fun time Sunday!

This looked like a great time. Unfortunately I couldn't make it because I'm one of the only human beings on the planet that works on Sundays.

I hope next year is the biggest one yet and I hope I'm there!

Nice win Kirt. I remember you telling me at Blue you where moving the following week and would not have much ride time before Jungle. You should move every week before the State Champs...it works for you.
I like the Jungle race even better, Kirt told me I got 3rd in the State Champs. I don't know how this works after I finished 4th in the race, but hey I'll take it.

Its actually pretty simple Ig Man, the champ part is just for nj residents, so take the ny guys out of the mix and u were the 3rd fastest nj guy.

On another note, I've been obsessing a lot on the curveball I was thrown at this race and have not stopped thinking that there must have been something that I could have done.90 pct of what I feel I do everyday is problem solving and this has been just nagging me. Carrying extra bolts is a long shot to have had, although I may throw 1 of those in my seat bag which is almost like insurance that something like that won't happen again. Then at 5am when I woke up it hit me so I share this as something that could almost warrant its own thread about desperate fixes when u think ur fd. I wonder if I pulled one of the front bolts so that I had 1 on front and 1 on back to keep them aligned and then used a tie wrap to keep the calipers from rotating off the rotor, it that would have worked. Granted I didn't have tie wraps either but that is something that I will add to carry now for multiple application reasons. I have to try this today and see if it would have worked. This way I can obsess over what might have been instead of the repair itself.

Hey Willy - there's always room for an "unofficial race" like hitting Blue or any of the courses from this year and of course the NY Series where they bunch together 40-49 again. As for Cat 2 - I had that realization that I wanted to try a longer race but wasn't satisfied until I got back up on the podium. Goal accomplished and I'm looking forward to a humbling learning experience in Cat 2....

You`re on Dave its always fun when we ride.Best of luck in Cat 2 at Ringwood, let me know how much it hurts so I guage my off season training.:drooling:

Its actually pretty simple Ig Man, the champ part is just for nj residents, so take the ny guys out of the mix and u were the 3rd fastest nj guy.

On another note, I've been obsessing a lot on the curveball I was thrown at this race and have not stopped thinking that there must have been something that I could have done.90 pct of what I feel I do everyday is problem solving and this has been just nagging me. Carrying extra bolts is a long shot to have had, although I may throw 1 of those in my seat bag which is almost like insurance that something like that won't happen again. Then at 5am when I woke up it hit me so I share this as something that could almost warrant its own thread about desperate fixes when u think ur fd. I wonder if I pulled one of the front bolts so that I had 1 on front and 1 on back to keep them aligned and then used a tie wrap to keep the calipers from rotating off the rotor, it that would have worked. Granted I didn't have tie wraps either but that is something that I will add to carry now for multiple application reasons. I have to try this today and see if it would have worked. This way I can obsess over what might have been instead of the repair itself.

I use blue loctite and it works great. You can use red but then it will need a little heat at times to take it apart.
_
Willy

Loved reading all the race re-caps , tried to get a short one up last night but with only 4 hours sleep the night (newborn)before I was just too tired.

Wlee, Mtnrider huge CONGRATS to you guys I know you guys have worked hard all year and your podiums are well earned!!

Ellen I havent met you you but wish you a speedy recovery.

Well my morning started out much like Blue did a warmup ride with both Rob's ,pooriggy and my brother who flew out from california. he's staying here a few weeks.
Im having a lil bit of a hard time gauging how much effort to put into these's rides.I only have so much in the tank. Well this morning I dont think I warmed up enough because the first mile or so of the race i was dying. Legs had no power what so ever.

So we start off im running in line about 15th or so legs felt like crap as I mentioned before. Get to the top of Otter slide and finally start to feel better, and start passing a few riders in our group (love the leg markings).
Ride the rest of the first lap pretty clean only had to dab a few times, and stay away from the narrow tree openings. Notice my garmin dies . It wasnt fully charged so i have no idea on my lap time.

2nd lap Im really feeling pretty good. Dont see anyone in my class the whole lap. I pass a few riders, some pass me.

Took an acorn to my knuckle. hurt alot more than i thought it would. lol

We all let each other go with no issues. I get up to the top by the tanks and notice my left foot is slipping around alot on the pedal. hummmm not good.
Ride a few more miles and figure out my cleat has come loose from my shoe. Should I stop and try to tighten or keep going? I decide to ride it out with the most technical trails to come. Unclip once and take a quick look only one screw is holding my cleat on, so its just swiveling around. Have one close call going up animal chute(first switchback) where i had to unclip. Instead of uncliping my foot just swivels while staying attached to the pedal , almost do the "turtle fall " but yank straight up and my foot releases. whew. Now I cant cilp back in at all. finish off the race with one foot clipped in. limp home.
Basically held my position while all this was happening. No passing

9th place. Overall very happy with it.We had 27 in our class I think? Still trying to figure out what pace I can ride and still be competitive the whole race.

Post race :
enjoyed another Willy cookout!! shared some stories, met some new people. Good times:D

I think its time that I figure out how to multi Quote.:hmmm:
Thanks Steve for the props, and you are just doing great in Cat 2. A little trick which works wonders on your screw for your cleat..........LOCKTITE... a little dab will do ya ,just use the blue one. If you need some just let me know.
_____
Willy

The Saturday before the race Capers and I did 2 laps at a relaxed pace and I knew at race pace it would be a challenging race. I was excited to see it was completely different then last year (and dry). Thanks Town Cycle for setting up a very rigid SS friendly course.

I use blue loctite and it works great. You can use red but then it will need a little heat at times to take it apart.
_
Willy

I hear ya there however that is a preventative and I totally get you there. I am however referring to getting out of the building once it is on fire, and not that I should have had an extinguisher with me.

I hear ya there however that is a preventative and I totally get you there. I am however referring to getting out of the building once it is on fire, and not that I should have had an extinguisher with me.

How about zip ties and a lot of front brake?

How about zip ties and a lot of front brake?

That was Art's suggestion in my recap but as I said I saw really bad things in my future with that idea. At that point I instantly knew that I wasn't going to do better than 4th in that scenario which was going to make this my dropped race assuming of course something else like my head doesn't fall off at RW.

Then at 5am when I woke up it hit me so I share this as something that could almost warrant its own thread about desperate fixes when u think ur fd. I wonder if I pulled one of the front bolts so that I had 1 on front and 1 on back to keep them aligned and then used a tie wrap to keep the calipers from rotating off the rotor, it that would have worked. Granted I didn't have tie wraps either but that is something that I will add to carry now for multiple application reasons. I have to try this today and see if it would have worked. This way I can obsess over what might have been instead of the repair itself.

5 min bolt check is all you need Rob, you think too much.

Please don't do this test when you ride with me in Ringwood this week, there are large black bears in there and they can only eat what they can catch!

Yeah I realize that now, that would have been super effective before the race started. In fact in the race I only needed a 1 second bolt check to find my problem! But it was tooo late:cry:

Hi everyone -

Listen, I had a request - does anyone have a podium picture from Cat. 2, 35-39? We had someone who got their first podium finish, but alas, had no camera. If you do have one, can you email it to us at info@teamtowncycle.com ?

Thanks!

Cat 2 30-34
My day started off with the alarm going off at 6 AM. I only had about 5 ½ hours of sleep, and I felt like I needed more. Instead of hitting the snooze button I headed down to make some coffee. I had the Norm special breakfast (avocado & tomatoes, but I broiled the cherry tomatoes and put it on an everything bagel.. Jersey Style). My legs were a little stiff from the 8 hour drive home the day before, but that feeling went away after about an hour.
For the first time I headed to a race solo. I was heading to the Jets game right after the race, so I had to leave my wife/cheerleader/feeder at home.
I got there early enough to see the Cat 3’s go off. Once they were all off I just kind of wandered around the parking lot aimlessly. As I said before, its cool to see all the people I’ve gotten to know from racing and riding. It’s important to not be a dick. If you are, people won’t be so eager to help you out in a time of need…
I did a little warm up ride (not really a warm up.. more like a killing time ride) with Dave (dc29) and Paul (non board friend). We tooled around and tried to show Paul what to expect. He hadn’t ridden there in a year or so, so he was a little unfamiliar. So we got to the first climb (otter?) and decided to turn around head back the way we came in. We crossed paths with a ton of people pre-riding. Most were annoyed we were going backwards.
Onto the Race
I lined up and was a little anxious. Unlike most other racers, I don’t know many of the guys in my group. I know Capers, and that’s it. So I looked around and nobody looked familiar to me. I had heard though the grapevine that the guy who won The previous few races was not going to show. Good for me because it gave me a better chance on winning, but bad because I really want to beat him.
And we’re off
I take off hard and end up taking the holeshot. I feel like this forces everybody else to keep up, and hopefully it makes them push a little more than they are comfortable with. It also helps to keep track of what place you are in the race. By the time we get into the singletrack I got passed once. After a few minutes I got passed again. So I’m sitting in 3rd and the guy in 1st is pulling away a little bit. Im not going to let that happen so I make a move into 2nd.
We head up Otter Slide (I think) and I am right on the guys back wheel. By the time we are at the top we have put a decent gap on the rest of the field. He asks if there is anybody else close and I respond with a Nope. Then he asks if the pace Ok. I thought it was a little strange for him to ask that… not sure if this was gamesmanship, or if he was sincerely asking… but whatever. I said the pace was fine. We Chatted for a little bit back and forth, Turns out it was Jared Strowbridge and is a contender in the points race.
We start coming up on The 19-29s and SSs and start passing them. As I am coming off a little drop off my handlebars slip. Then they slip again, and again, and again. I start thinking about how difficult this will be if I have to race the entire time with loose handlebars. Eventually I run into MattyB and I ask f he has a tool. He being the swell guy that he is, stops, and hands me his multitool. It seems like it takes me forever to get behind my number plate and tighten the 4 hex screws. I get it done, hand him his tool back, and I am off. Big time Thanks to Matty for stopping and helping me out. Without that I would have been screwed (or maybe unscrewed?).
I’m not sure how many people passed me, but I think it was only 1 in my group. We come out to some pavement and I sprint like it’s the start line and pass the guy who passed me ( I believe Portland Rider). As I get back into the singletrack I’m greeted by the rocks. I love this part. If you don’t attack the rocks, they will beat you up. The faster you go, the smoother they become. About 100 yards into the rocks, I pass Jared who was in first but had flatted. He was to the side of the trail fixing it. I squeeze by and didn’t see anybody else for awhile.
I eventually see Dustin ahead and I start my J – E – T – S….. Jets Jets Jets chant as I come up on him. Dustin is a Jets hater and has been very bitter ever since we rocked his team (the Titans) last year. I told him on facebook he was gonna hear the chant as I passed him and I had to keep my word… As I went by him he commented that my new Jersey really brought out the orange in my eyes….:D

1013968235_dsc_3213.jpg

As I made it to the top of Animal Chute, somebody (spectator) tells me I am the 3rd one to go by. I’m not sure if he meant I was the 3rd “3” as in the number on my leg, or if I was the 3rd overall rider to go by. I wasn’t about to stop and ask so I assume the worst and push hard.
I began the 2nd lap with a Gu and half bottle of gato-water. With all the rocks and the mechanical issue, and the short lap I realized I had barely sipped my water. I felt fine so I figured it wasn’t too late to replenish.
I pushed hard the entire second lap, passing the occasional Singlespeed. I came up on the one and asked him if any “3’s” went by. He didn’t know or was too gassed to tell me. I flew past him. I came up on the dude with the Indy Fab and platforms who killed it at Lew-mo and asked him. He said nobody with a 3 passed him… Sweet!
So I continue with my pace because letting up = crashing here. As I make my way to the Animal Chute climb, I see Chris S behind me. I think he said something about somebody is creeping up on me…. So I put the hammer down. Going up the switchbacks I can see him and someone else in the corner of my eye. They seemed to have gained a little on me…. But it could have been deceiving from my view. I clear everything without really even thinking about it. Again, the faster you go, the easier that section gets. I come up to the spectator who told me I was the 3rd one to go by. I am pretty sure I have it at this point but still press to the finish line.

I cross the line and somebody confirms that I did indeed win. Finally, a 1st place finish.

I stuck around for the podium and swag. Thanks to Town Cycle for putting it all together. It was a well run event and the course was definitely my favorite so far. It was a technical course, but you had to be in decent shape to sustain the beating it gave you. I appreciate they listened and put the numbers on the legs too. All the people working at the event we helpful, and the Mexican food was a great touch. I hope they had some success with it because I’d like to see food vendors at the races become a normal occurrence. As you do more and more races, you realize how much effort goes into putting one of these events together. And I think Town Cycle killed it. Great job by them.

Thanks for reading.

Nice recap and congrats Jeremy, great job. Didn't realize your bolts got rattled as well, way to stay cool in the heat of the battle. Man Matty is lookin more and more like the team mvp that day.

You guys are great, thanks so much! We had a new club from upstate come down to see how we do it "Jersey-style", and they were pumped one of their guys made the podium.

Thanks again!

Nice recap and congrats Jeremy, great job. Didn't realize your bolts got rattled as well, way to stay cool in the heat of the battle. Man Matty is lookin more and more like the team mvp that day.

Thanks Robbie :D

Not only did Matty save me, he emailed me the section of the Rulebook that says the assistance was legal...

Cat 2 30-34
My day started off with the alarm going off at 6 AM. I only had about 5 ½ hours of sleep, and I felt like I needed more. Instead of hitting the snooze button I headed down to make some coffee. I had the Norm special breakfast (avocado & tomatoes, but I broiled the cherry tomatoes and put it on an everything bagel.. Jersey Style). My legs were a little stiff from the 8 hour drive home the day before, but that feeling went away after about an hour.
For the first time I headed to a race solo. I was heading to the Jets game right after the race, so I had to leave my wife/cheerleader/feeder at home.
I got there early enough to see the Cat 3’s go off. Once they were all off I just kind of wandered around the parking lot aimlessly. As I said before, its cool to see all the people I’ve gotten to know from racing and riding. It’s important to not be a dick. If you are, people won’t be so eager to help you out in a time of need…
I did a little warm up ride (not really a warm up.. more like a killing time ride) with Dave (dc29) and Paul (non board friend). We tooled around and tried to show Paul what to expect. He hadn’t ridden there in a year or so, so he was a little unfamiliar. So we got to the first climb (otter?) and decided to turn around head back the way we came in. We crossed paths with a ton of people pre-riding. Most were annoyed we were going backwards.
Onto the Race
I lined up and was a little anxious. Unlike most other racers, I don’t know many of the guys in my group. I know Capers, and that’s it. So I looked around and nobody looked familiar to me. I had heard though the grapevine that the guy who won The previous few races was not going to show. Good for me because it gave me a better chance on winning, but bad because I really want to beat him.
And we’re off
I take off hard and end up taking the holeshot. I feel like this forces everybody else to keep up, and hopefully it makes them push a little more than they are comfortable with. It also helps to keep track of what place you are in the race. By the time we get into the singletrack I got passed once. After a few minutes I got passed again. So I’m sitting in 3rd and the guy in 1st is pulling away a little bit. Im not going to let that happen so I make a move into 2nd.
We head up Otter Slide (I think) and I am right on the guys back wheel. By the time we are at the top we have put a decent gap on the rest of the field. He asks if there is anybody else close and I respond with a Nope. Then he asks if the pace Ok. I thought it was a little strange for him to ask that… not sure if this was gamesmanship, or if he was sincerely asking… but whatever. I said the pace was fine. We Chatted for a little bit back and forth, Turns out it was Jared Strowbridge and is a contender in the points race.
We start coming up on The 19-29s and SSs and start passing them. As I am coming off a little drop off my handlebars slip. Then they slip again, and again, and again. I start thinking about how difficult this will be if I have to race the entire time with loose handlebars. Eventually I run into MattyB and I ask f he has a tool. He being the swell guy that he is, stops, and hands me his multitool. It seems like it takes me forever to get behind my number plate and tighten the 4 hex screws. I get it done, hand him his tool back, and I am off. Big time Thanks to Matty for stopping and helping me out. Without that I would have been screwed (or maybe unscrewed?).
I’m not sure how many people passed me, but I think it was only 1 in my group. We come out to some pavement and I sprint like it’s the start line and pass the guy who passed me ( I believe Portland Rider). As I get back into the singletrack I’m greeted by the rocks. I love this part. If you don’t attack the rocks, they will beat you up. The faster you go, the smoother they become. About 100 yards into the rocks, I pass Jared who was in first but had flatted. He was to the side of the trail fixing it. I squeeze by and didn’t see anybody else for awhile.
I eventually see Dustin ahead and I start my J – E – T – S….. Jets Jets Jets chant as I come up on him. Dustin is a Jets hater and has been very bitter ever since we rocked his team (the Titans) last year. I told him on facebook he was gonna hear the chant as I passed him and I had to keep my word… As I went by him he commented that my new Jersey really brought out the orange in my eyes….:D

1013968235_dsc_3213.jpg

As I made it to the top of Animal Chute, somebody (spectator) tells me I am the 3rd one to go by. I’m not sure if he meant I was the 3rd “3” as in the number on my leg, or if I was the 3rd overall rider to go by. I wasn’t about to stop and ask so I assume the worst and push hard.
I began the 2nd lap with a Gu and half bottle of gato-water. With all the rocks and the mechanical issue, and the short lap I realized I had barely sipped my water. I felt fine so I figured it wasn’t too late to replenish.
I pushed hard the entire second lap, passing the occasional Singlespeed. I came up on the one and asked him if any “3’s” went by. He didn’t know or was too gassed to tell me. I flew past him. I came up on the dude with the Indy Fab and platforms who killed it at Lew-mo and asked him. He said nobody with a 3 passed him… Sweet!
So I continue with my pace because letting up = crashing here. As I make my way to the Animal Chute climb, I see Chris S behind me. I think he said something about somebody is creeping up on me…. So I put the hammer down. Going up the switchbacks I can see him and someone else in the corner of my eye. They seemed to have gained a little on me…. But it could have been deceiving from my view. I clear everything without really even thinking about it. Again, the faster you go, the easier that section gets. I come up to the spectator who told me I was the 3rd one to go by. I am pretty sure I have it at this point but still press to the finish line.

I cross the line and somebody confirms that I did indeed win. Finally, a 1st place finish.

I stuck around for the podium and swag. Thanks to Town Cycle for putting it all together. It was a well run event and the course was definitely my favorite so far. It was a technical course, but you had to be in decent shape to sustain the beating it gave you. I appreciate they listened and put the numbers on the legs too. All the people working at the event we helpful, and the Mexican food was a great touch. I hope they had some success with it because I’d like to see food vendors at the races become a normal occurrence. As you do more and more races, you realize how much effort goes into putting one of these events together. And I think Town Cycle killed it. Great job by them.

Thanks for reading.

Jeremy,
nice write up! And it was good chatting with you for that short bit during the race.
The reason I asked if you were good at that pace was, I was not going to go any harder than I had to until later in the race. Being that we had a good gap on the field, you were my only competition, so I was trying to gauge where you were at. Ever been in a break away in a road race? Kinda the same thing. Size up your competition...
Congrats on the "W" and see you all at RW.
Also thanks to those who threw me a CO2...after the 3rd one, I realized my side wall was cut open...Game over for me.

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom