Jungle Habitat Conditions

Warthog is a disaster

Remediated a few spots today while marking the trail.
Did a lot of walking around stuff. Rode through some stuff.

I have a couple ideas on some of the other spots DVW speaks of - but that is for another day.

It’s supposed to rain Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week so I am sure all the rake and ride trails will be great for the race.👍 Start mounting those mud tires boys! Have fun on the pre race course ride today at noon today.

It’s supposed to rain Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week so I am sure all the rake and ride trails will be great for the race.👍 Start mounting those mud tires boys! Have fun on the pre race course ride today at noon today.
Rake and ride trails??
for the race??

Sorry, most of the xc races I have been in had new sections of course that were rake and ride. If that’s not the case, I apologize . I did not intend to offend.

There is a spot on fish I'd like to rake a parallel trail. About 50' long. Just past the fence.

I remediated a few spots on Friday, and they were much better today.

There is a spot on fish I'd like to rake a parallel trail. About 50' long. Just past the fence.

I remediated a few spots on Friday, and they were much better today.
Are you asking my permission? I think there should be no changes to the trail system to accommodate
this event. I also think it's the promoter's responsibility to return the park to the condition it was in prior
to the race.

Are you asking my permission? I think there should be no changes to the trail system to accommodate
this event. I also think it's the promoter's responsibility to return the park to the condition it was in prior
to the race.

Not asking permission. I wouldn't do it, but the trail should be re-routed there, about 4' uphill just around the tree, and merge back in.
I'm sure you know the spot.
Better we meet-up one day, dealing with @jdog and 6MR has been enlightening.

I've already done a bunch of remediation to prevent more damage in the "bad places" up top.
And been picking up garbage, what is wrong with people??? At least there isn't a visible dog poop bag problem.
Removed the deadfall and derailleur eaters on the course too.

I'll take good care of the trails -
Checking markings this friday, and looking to head-off problems - will be up on the 12th if it doesn't rain to rake/tamp..
Might come up in the rain, easier to see the "why" - but i'll hike it.

personally hoping we remove warthog from the loop, and add something up top.

Not asking permission. I wouldn't do it, but the trail should be re-routed there, about 4' uphill just around the tree, and merge back in.
I'm sure you know the spot.
Better we meet-up one day, dealing with @jdog and 6MR has been enlightening.

I've already done a bunch of remediation to prevent more damage in the "bad places" up top.
And been picking up garbage, what is wrong with people??? At least there isn't a visible dog poop bag problem.
Removed the deadfall and derailleur eaters on the course too.

I'll take good care of the trails -
Checking markings this friday, and looking to head-off problems - will be up on the 12th if it doesn't rain to rake/tamp..
Might come up in the rain, easier to see the "why" - but i'll hike it.

personally hoping we remove warthog from the loop, and add something up top.
Just checked this morning, there's spots on Warthog that are now 6 feet wide and
4 inches deep in mud and Hippo is a wet mess too. The forecast is for 3 days of rain this week, I don't see anything getting better

New Jersey will soon be the home of some new rain forest. Get used to rain several times a week. It’s the new normal😎

Mucho rain the last two days. Trails will be axle grease for sure. Tomorrow’s races ought to be interesting.

Dave,

What's the recourse for the promoter to fix this? Jungle as we both know is usually fairly hardened, I have never seen quite destruction before.
This is a state park and a permit is required in order to hold an event.
This is what the permit states.

16. SITE RESTORATION 16.1. Will the event leave a physical impact on the area that will require restoration work? If YES, what are the anticipated impacts? What is the plan to remedy these impacts? What is the anticipated timeline? 16.2. Permittee is responsible for complete site restoration. Failure to restore the site to its previous condition or better will result in Permittee being responsible for the labor and materials used to restore the site after event.

16.3. On what date and time will be the final site inspection take place? Note. The Applicant will submit detailed plans for site restoration and final clean up of the event site. The site will be restored to the same or better than pre-event status. A final site inspection is required at completion of site restoration.

This is a state park and a permit is required in order to hold an event.
This is what the permit states.

16. SITE RESTORATION 16.1. Will the event leave a physical impact on the area that will require restoration work? If YES, what are the anticipated impacts? What is the plan to remedy these impacts? What is the anticipated timeline? 16.2. Permittee is responsible for complete site restoration. Failure to restore the site to its previous condition or better will result in Permittee being responsible for the labor and materials used to restore the site after event.

16.3. On what date and time will be the final site inspection take place? Note. The Applicant will submit detailed plans for site restoration and final clean up of the event site. The site will be restored to the same or better than pre-event status. A final site inspection is required at completion of site restoration.
I'm no lawyer, but could they just say that restoration will take, say, 3 years?

I’m sorry but what did anyone expect? Just watched a video of the race. All the sections that were mud bogs were the rack and ride sections. Black earth on the trail means the “duff” was not removed when the trail was cut. You cut a trail down to minerals, no mud bogs. It is a chance to improve the trail system though. Rake that duff off , dig some glory holes for some proper mineral rich dirt and fill in the trail. This will make the trails more weather resistant. Hope this does not offend anyone but the race could end up improving the trails with some work.

I heard there was TM today. Curious how the trails looked.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions