James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

Day 4, Reflections on Paris as we Depart for London
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/06/28/eu-2019-day-4/

Hm4YIwc.jpg

Let's set the record straight...

Beefeaters (officially named "The Yeomen Warders of Her Majesty’s Royal Palace and Fortress the Tower of London, and Members of the Sovereign’s Body Guard of the Yeoman Guard Extraordinary", could be Max's next title) in State Uniform,they guard the Tower of London...menacing looking, aren't they?
British-Beefeaters.jpg

...Beefeaters in regular uniform (looking like they're about to break into River Dance)...
beefeaterPA0607_468x338.jpg

...and the Queen's Guard.
The-Queens-Guards.jpg

Last edited:
I WANT TO GO TO LONDON!!!!!! But someone says he's not allowed back into the country. ?

Tower of London: here's where Anne Boleyn lost her head because Henry 8 was a misogynistic a-hole... Oh Katherine Howard lost her head here too but no one knows who she is. :(

Any chance James May is there? ♥️

ETA: GGRM used really history (like war of the roses) for GOT. and, yes, I'm a bit of an anglophile.

Last edited:
I WANT TO GO TO LONDON!!!!!! But someone says he's not allowed back into the country.

And you haven't booked the ticket yet?!?!?

Tower of London: here's where Anne Boleyn lost her head because Henry 8 was a misogynistic a-hole... Oh Katherine Howard lost her head here too but no one knows who she is. :(

Any chance James May is there? ♥️

Actually, good old Henry loved women so much he wanted to marry all of them, unfortunately the pope wouldn't let him so he had to 'divorce' them before marry the next one which back then meant to behead them...eventually he realized it made more sense starting his own church so the Church of England was born...true story.

Fun fact, people scheduled to be beheaded at the Tower of London bribed the executioner to be first in line because after a few chopped necks the ax would lose its edge making the whole affair long,messy and very painful...

James May?!?! really?!?!

Last edited:
And you haven't booked the ticket yet?!?!?

Actually, good old Henry loved women so much he wanted to marry all of them, unfortunately the pope wouldn't let him so he had to 'divorce' them before marry the next one which back then meant to behead them...eventually he realized it made more sense starting his own church so the Church of England was born...true story.

Fun fact, people scheduled to be beheaded at the Tower of London bribed the executioner to be first in line because after a few chopped necks the ax would lose its edge making the whole affair long,messy and very painful...

James May?!?! really?!?!

Did I find my anglophile soul mate?! I love reading Tudor history... Elizabeth is my favorite queen. Are you allowed to have a favorite queen if you're American?

Oooffff... Yeah... Dull executioner blade... I think Mary queen of Scots might know a thing or two about that.

And. Yes. I LOVE JAMES MAY!!

Did I find my anglophile soul mate?! I love reading Tudor history... Elizabeth is my favorite queen. Are you allowed to have a favorite queen if you're American?

Oooffff... Yeah... Dull executioner blade... I think Mary queen of Scots might know a thing or two about that.

And. Yes. I LOVE JAMES MAY!!
I just happen to be married to a British woman, I guess that makes me an anglophile...I used to like James on BBC but his last show felt like he was always rumbling about this or that and quite frankly got boring after a while.

Day 6: Tapping Out London
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/eu-2019-day-6/

We may have overestimated how much the kids can handle. I think we realized that today.

In my mind, the dude with the fuzzy hat was on the gin bottle but alas, I looked and there it is. I was incorrect.

Henry actually annulled his 1st marriage (and 2 more) so he didn't behead them first then create the institution to stop that. I suspected the same when they told the story in the Tower Tour but I was informed that no, that wasn't the case.

r8QmgI4.jpg

Day 6: Tapping Out London
https://mtbnj.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/eu-2019-day-6/

We may have overestimated how much the kids can handle. I think we realized that today.

In my mind, the dude with the fuzzy hat was on the gin bottle but alas, I looked and there it is. I was incorrect.

Henry actually annulled his 1st marriage (and 2 more) so he didn't behead them first then create the institution to stop that. I suspected the same when they told the story in the Tower Tour but I was informed that no, that wasn't the case.

View attachment 98529
I was incorrect myself about Henry beheading his wives, got carried away by the narrative I suppose.

Not sure what is your thing to do (besides bikes which you will find in abundance), but when in Amsterdam I always go to the Van Gogh Museum and eventually take a nap on the adjacent park. The Rijksmuseum is full of classics and I usually end up spending most of a day in it, even though last time I went my wife made sure to hit the fast forward button.

Henry's wives: only "divorced" two.
1 Katherine: he tried to divorce her to marry Anne but the Catholic Church refused to recognize it so he decided to say FU to the church and announced he was head of his own church. She never accepted and fought until her death. Fun fact: she was actually married to Henry's brother Arthur first!
2 Anne: she was not liked by many and Henry got tired of her and had her beheaded on trumped up charges like incest and treason. Since many saw him as still married to the Spanish Catholic queen, there was debate on whether this marriage was even legal. Fun fact: one of Henry's earlier mistresses was Anne's sister, Mary.
3 Jane: with his other wives now officially dead (Anne not that long) he marries Jane and finally has a son (legit son.. he has a few who are either illegitimate or are still born/die as babies). She doesn't last long and dies shortly after birth.
4 Anne: more or less a political marriage. He finds her ugly. Recent theories suggest she had already given birth before this marriage but I think that's BS. they divorce. She keeps her head and remains friends with Henry.
5 Catherine: mid life crisis kicks in big time and he marries a 17-ish year old. She is a teenager and likes to flirt and loses her head over it.
6 Katherine: actually survives her marriage but barely. She was actually queen regent while he was away. She apparently got a little too outspoken tho (and possibly the king got tired of her) but she was smart and made good with the king and kept her head.

Last edited:
1 Katherine: he tried to divorce her to marry Anne but the Catholic Church refused to recognize it so he decided to say FU to the church and announced he was head of his own church. She never accepted and fought until her death. Fun fact: she was actually married to Henry's brother Arthur first!
2 Anne: she was not liked by many and Henry got tired of her and had her headed on trumped up charges like incest and treason. Since many saw him as still married to the Spanish Catholic queen, there was debate on whether this marriage was even legal. Fun fact: one of Henry's earlier mistresses was Anne's sister, Mary.
3 Jane: with his other wives now officially dead (Anne not that long) he marries Jane and finally has a son (legit son.. he has a few who are either illegitimate or are still born/die as babies). She doesn't last long and dies shortly after birth.
4 Anne: more or less a political marriage. He finds her ugly. Recent theories suggest she had already given birth before this marriage but I think that's BS. they divorce. She keeps her head and remains friends with Henry.
5 Catherine: mid life crisis kicks in big time and he marries a 17-ish year old. She is a teenager and likes to flirt and loses her head over it.
6 Katherine: actually survives her marriage but barely. She was actually queen regent while he was away. She apparently got a little too outspoken tho (and possibly the king got tired of her) but she was smart and made good with the king and kept her head.
Short version: Henry was a douche!

Still don't know why she loves Tudor history but not Stuart history. The fact that the Monarchy was overthrown in England for almost a generation and then they give the King title to some kid based on who his dead father is so odd.

More interesting than some guy's wives.

2 Anne: she was not liked by many and Henry got tired of her and had her beheaded on trumped up charges like incest and treason. Since many saw him as still married to the Spanish Catholic queen, there was debate on whether this marriage was even legal. Fun fact: one of Henry's earlier mistresses was Anne's sister, Mary.

So have you been watching the Spanish Princess?

no... i watched the tudors when it was on... but those shows tend to not quite be historically accurate.

My wife is a massive Anglophile so I’m exposed to (subjected to) everything British. The show is about the period you just outlined and seems pretty accurate (casting aside). You might want to give it a shot.

Ps: her Mini has Union Jack mirrors. :)

My wife is a massive Anglophile so I’m exposed to (subjected to) everything British. The show is about the period you just outlined and seems pretty accurate. You might want to give it a shot.

Ps: her Mini has Union Jack mirrors. :)
i'll see if i can find it. i don't have starz so i'll need to find a work-around. i saw that it was about a young catherine of aragon as she's coming to tudor court to marry arthur.

Back
Top Bottom