Intro to Sourlands Group Ride 8/11 @ 9am

Which date/time would you like for Sourlands Group Ride?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
20190811_151139-1.jpg

Thumbs up! We'll see what some ice does for this one.

Also, thanks @JimN for taking those records and dropping off that sweet beer! You shoulda taken some of that clam and lemongrass pale ale...i promise it doesn't really taste like clam

that is @scotth - it is also SS.....
I'm pretty sure he could kick everyone's ass that was there.
---

Nice job out there today - we had a bunch of fun on the rocks - think we all went down at least once.
the group was moving along much better mid-ride, after getting accustom to the rocks, and running them over.
(not to mention the climbing was done)

@Kangdoy is on his way to Halters, it isn't going to be cheap - eagle derailleur mangle. but we managed to make it rideable, and on he went.
My understanding is that @Fire Marshal Max usually makes the group sacrifice, but the deal with @TimBay seemed to fall through (he would go if Tim did)
Well Tim hooked me up with some beer, so i know he was there (thanks again!)

also

Let's see - in the second fastest group

@jklett
@TimBay
@Mtbdog
@Kangdoy
@Mathers
@Mr.Moto
Tad
Aaron
Chris
Henry
Gabriel (junior rider! willing to try almost everything!)

(and i'm missing someone....)

@gmb3 and @Patrick - Thanks for setting up the ride and giving the tour. My second time there and it's just like I remembered it - fun, really challenging and techy. @Mtbdog is the man. Worked on all the tech stuff and then some. Glad @Patrick and @Mtbdog was there to grab me when I did the otb. Normally I wouldn't try something like that again but glad I did.

Thanks @gmb3 for organizing and getting more people on these awesome trails. I was having a great time until I finally found out what that occasional clunking/pinging sound coming from the back of my bike has been the past few weeks. Would love to come back down for another tour once I get a new rear hub.

and your just gonna leave us hanging like that?!?!?!?!!!!!!

that is @scotth - it is also SS.....
I'm pretty sure he could kick everyone's ass that was there.
---

Nice job out there today - we had a bunch of fun on the rocks - think we all went down at least once.
the group was moving along much better mid-ride, after getting accustom to the rocks, and running them over.
(not to mention the climbing was done)

@Kangdoy is on his way to Halters, it isn't going to be cheap - eagle derailleur mangle. but we managed to make it rideable, and on he went.
My understanding is that @Fire Marshal Max usually makes the group sacrifice, but the deal with @TimBay seemed to fall through (he would go if Tim did)
Well Tim hooked me up with some beer, so i know he was there (thanks again!)

also

Let's see - in the second fastest group

@jklett
@TimBay
@Mtbdog
@Kangdoy
@Mathers
@Mr.Moto
Tad
Aaron
Chris
Henry
Gabriel (junior rider! willing to try almost everything!)

(and i'm missing someone....)
Come on... this was Sourland... why are there no dirt nap pics????
I feel ripped off...

Thanks a lot @gmb3 and @Patrick for leading this awesome ride.
It was a tough ride but loved that everyone was supportive of sessioning the features. Thanks JORBA volunteers for all the hard work that went into creating these.
I also loved getting my beginner of the day JORBA prize and the surprise prize in it!
6D466656-8565-4BE0-97D9-DBF5836E7CBB.jpeg

Thanks a lot @gmb3 and @Patrick for leading this awesome ride.
It was a tough ride but loved that everyone was supportive of sessioning the features. Thanks JORBA volunteers for all the hard work that went into creating these.
I also loved getting my beginner of the day JORBA prize and the surprise prize in it! View attachment 102316
My first MTB podium (makeshift) pic!

Summary of the slightly less OOS group that hit the full perimeter loop including Chunky Monkey: It went way better than I expected. Our group was killing it (until they started killing their bikes). I think we started with 13 people and we ended with 6 (lost to both bike carnage and time constraints). I think this is the full list of bike carnage (but no human carnage so that's awesome!): 1 derailleur, 1 chain, 1 hub, 1 swingarm. @JimN cleaned Roaring Rocks (of course), and others tried unsuccessfully. Then we went straight up the tough red climb to Chunky Monkey and spent so much time on it sessioning all the boulders in the first half (most of the pics below). The second half of Chunky beat everyone up though and i was getting dirty looks. Hopped on 3 Amigos to the Pipeline and lost a few there due to time. Then 6 brave souls continued on to Montezuma and Boulderama. We got back to the lot after 1:00. No injuries, just a lot of close calls and mechanicals, so overall a good day.

@MTBizz attempting Roaring Rocks
20190811_095945.jpg

@kbajaj attempting Roaring Rocks
20190811_100059.jpg

@Off The Road Again with the inevitable "i give up" or "i'm not even trying this" and Steve getting ready to attempt it behind him. (i didn't even try either)
20190811_100211.jpg

Then off to Chunky Monkey "Whale Rock"...Steve
20190811_103449(0).jpg

@MTBizz (Mike)
20190811_103506.jpg

@kbajaj
20190811_103542.jpg

@JimN
20190811_103639.jpg

And then the sketchier rock right after it while Jules looks on in amazement (and then Jules also cleans it)
20190811_103642.jpg

20190811_103644.jpg

6 grueling miles in almost 4 hours. The final 6 post-ride (left to right): me, @Bizarro (Chris), @MTBizz (Mike), Jenny, Steve, @kbajaj (K).
20190811_131516.jpg

Thanks everyone for coming out. I know a lot of you have more pics and vids so post them up! I will try to get another one of these scheduled when i can. See you on the trails!

And the JORBA prize winners on "the podium". K for hitting all the crazy lines like a pro even though he's only been mountain biking less than 1 year. And Jenny for being the first woman than i know of to do a complete Sourlands perimeter loop. Enjoy your limited edition, one-of-a-kind travel mugs and "surprise" inside.
20190811_132059.jpg

Back
Top Bottom