Inspired by "The Dirt"

huffster

First, a little background...

I finally got a fat bike to get more winter rides. I went the BD route (Boris the Evil Brut, Sprung) so I could afford the components I wanted. Yeah-yeah, whatever...I'm happy. Waited far to long for it to arrive. It finally delivers in early Feb. That very night - I tore it down and built it up. I got 1 ride in the next day at Stewart. Before ride #2, I torqued my f'ing back shoveling. I've been taking it real easy and finally feeling better. Got 3 decent rides in lately - 2 @ Stewart and 1 @ Wawa.

And now its Spring conditions. So, early this week I'm watching TWC looking for an overnight freeze. I thought I had it pegged for Thu morning. Cleared the calendar. Plan was Wawa. But, as it got closer, it simply was not going to get cold enough. Slush = no thanks! Need a new plan.

Then, "The Dirt" newsletter arrives in my inbox Wed morning with an article suggesting Sandy Hook. Hmmm? That reminds me...I have some intel on that from @icebiker. New plan = Drive 1-1/2 hours to ride the beach = new experience.

Well, there was a mother of a headwind going up that beach this morning. I felt like if I stopped pedaling I might go backwards. But, as I sit here typing, its not really the wind I remember. I'm reflecting back on finding the firm lines. Some of them were not at all where you expected them to be. I'm remembering the great scenery, the smell of the sea, the warm breeze for early March. This beach riding is pretty cool.

Sandy Hook is pretty awesome. Sure there is shoreline riding along the waters edge. But, there's also some rocks to play on. There's wildlife. A was 10 feet from a seal on the beach. That was cool! There were sections where you could ride in the dunes. There are great views of NYC. There's a missile site. And best of all, I damn near had it all to myself.

Oh, and that tailwind coming south was like heaven on earth!

So, I just wanted to say Thanks to "The Dirt" and to icebiker for the intel. I highly recommend this if you haven't done it before. Or even if you have!

Here's a few pics...

Attachments

• DSCN4159.JPG
    DSCN4159.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN4162.JPG
    DSCN4162.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN4168.JPG
    DSCN4168.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN4173.JPG
    DSCN4173.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN4174.JPG
    DSCN4174.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN4176.JPG
    DSCN4176.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN4178.JPG
    DSCN4178.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCN4181.JPG
    DSCN4181.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 103
Hey Huffster, glad you made it out there. Very cool that you got to see a seal...bonus! Great pics, too! Among the other fun things about the hook is that some times you'll find the tide on the eastern shore has created a "quarter pipe berm" effect with a 1 -2 foot high ridge of sand at the top that you can hop up onto and/or drop off of as you ride up/down the beach. The western shore can be ridden, too, but you have a few short road sections to link the beach sections together. The beaches aren't very wide on that side, but there are a few cool gun batteries and small spits of beach with ruins to explore. Every ride at the hook tends to be different than the next, depending on what mother nature has tossed at it in the days preceding. Congrats on the fattie and welcome to the fray.

I also got a fatty fairly late in the season. I would love to get a beach group ride! Anyone wanna play tour guide??

Fantastic pics from the hook. Always love shots of the missiles and lighthouses, but that seal shot was best...my wife would have yelled at me for not picking it up and bringing it home as a pet

2 miles down the beach Mike from the Peddler has got this fat bike race thing happening
https://www.bikereg.com/long-branch-city-fat-tire-beach-bike-race--ride

check it out and go ride if you want to try fattie riding on the beach...he will even have rentals for this who want to test it out

Brian

man, you folks with fatties keep rubbing it in

In the spirit of the Dirt inspiration, I'll be at RV tomorrow, with Norm on my shoulders

Back
Top Bottom