Indoor/Outdoor Winter 2018-2019

iman29

Feb 17th

Troubled Bridge Over Water (see the play on words)

Distance 46.8 mi
Moving Time 3:10:08
Avg Speed 14.8 mi/h
Elev Gain 4,003 ft

1550719830787.png

1550719632548.png

After texting and emailing the regulars I ride with, I found one brave soul to ride with me for a cold road ride. I knew it was not gonna be warm but with my new Pactimo gear I have been doing much better in the cold weather. I made this loop on ridewithgps using some old and new roads, but too bad it doesnt tell you things like when there's a bridge out. Then we had to decide to try and walk over it or head straight up the one road I planned to avoid (Point Mountain road).

And in the usual fashion, its not a road ride in NJ with some f*cker coming too close passing us going down Naughtright road (steep downhill) close enough to me that I could read the words on her side view mirror. If I had more time and i was less cold I would have turned off on her block to educate her, but my buddy kept yelling behind me to keep going (he knows me well)

Anyway, what was supposed to be a less hilly ride turned into a stop and go hillclimbing adventure, mostly because I ended up running late to pick up my son from his sleepover and i was lucky the kids dad was willing to drive him home. so i had to keep stopping to call/text/get Text YELLED AT BY THE WIFE ALL IN CAPS :rolleyes:

On the other hand, this is excellent prep for HoH which my buddy is also doing with me, so in the end we suffered but it was good to overcome the cold and unexpected hills and still finish not feeling completely dead. I did get home and consume 3 days worth of food in 3 hours tho so that was good. then i took a nice powernap.

iman29

Feb 20th

Zwift Ride - Five is Enough
Distance 19.1 mi
Moving Time 1:05:25

After taking 2 full days off from Sunday's adventure, aside from some basic stretch and foam roller stuff which i am not posting here, today was time to do some sprint work. Surprisingly my legs did not feel that bad Monday or Tuesday, foam rolling really helps me a lot so I am optimistic about riding HoH in 4.5 weeks right now.

I still have to pick a course on Zwift no one is riding so my laptop can behave, as such I have a nice fake sprint jersey to show for it. I decided to do a warm up lap/moderate sprint and then go for my best one on the 2nd sprint, which turned out to be the fastest one. did 5 of these and i tried to beat my other time on the last one but came up just short.

Lucky for me my neighbors took care of my shoveling so I didnt have to even go outside today.

1550720598563.png

iman29

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
saw that article, it has some really good points.

I did the quick pop up survey thing and 78% of the replies said they dont follow a specific plan its just for workouts which is just what I do with it.

wonder if shes also riding HoH will be a big crowd its almost sold out.

I don't think she actually has to sign-up..... She is a bit of a rockstar.

If looking for the fitness level to finish a race, then it makes sense to get in regular workouts. No actual plan needed.
looking to advance or make a time goal or podium is more serious. seems there should be a plan.
The CTS guy seemed to say that it was detrimental, because not enough rest. It can't be long until the AI
creates dynamic plans, and maybe even adjusts workouts on the fly.

speaking of fatigue, i'm toast with 3 hard running workouts, and a long bike over the last week....
supposed to run another 9 or so today. ain't gunna happen.

iman29

I don't think she actually has to sign-up..... She is a bit of a rockstar.

If looking for the fitness level to finish a race, then it makes sense to get in regular workouts. No actual plan needed.
looking to advance or make a time goal or podium is more serious. seems there should be a plan.
The CTS guy seemed to say that it was detrimental, because not enough rest. It can't be long until the AI
creates dynamic plans, and maybe even adjusts workouts on the fly.

speaking of fatigue, i'm toast with 3 hard running workouts, and a long bike over the last week....
supposed to run another 9 or so today. ain't gunna happen.

I didnt watch the you tube video from CTS, but I take the point that the "workout plans" are not personalized. In the end, people have to pay attention to what works for them. just like you said above if you feel tired or fatigued, take a day off even if that means missing a nice day out or a group ride. The FOMO (fear of missing out) is harder to manage than a hard workout sometimes, but then a few days later I am always happy I decided to rest.

Just like everything else, there's people on Zwift taking it waaaay too serious, but I dont judge it because if thats good for them, then so be it. I was on Zwift from the very beginning (like early beta I didnt pay for over a year) and I can relate to it helping me get some more structure around my efforts, and also reduce the boredom a LOT.

meantime I was planning to spin on zwift in a little while but after this stupid ice storm its already melting... might need to get outside instead.

CrankAddictRich

Zwift training plans in the news. @Fitchick breaking it down.

We will see Selene at HOH.

https://www.bicycling.com/training/a26429358/cts-vs-zwift-youtube-video/

I completely agree with his commentary on the training plans and I completely agree with Selene's take on him missing the forest for the trees. The majority of people using Zwift, aren't doing so out of need for specific, high level event training, they are doing it to maintain motivation through the winter.... for most of them, simply an increase in training volume will pay huge dividends and the Zwift training plans are designed to the keep the user engaged and building volume.

Patrick

Staff member
is this a no drop ride?

funny you ask that. if you can't keep up, they expect you to lower your weight so you can.....
the HB crew did a really nice job of outlining virtual group rides, what the goal is, and how to go about participating.
they also have an open channel on discord (is that the right app?) for chatting and instructions.

looks like they had more than a dozen people yesterday.

qclabrat

funny you ask that. if you can't keep up, they expect you to lower your weight so you can.....
the HB crew did a really nice job of outlining virtual group rides, what the goal is, and how to go about participating.
they also have an open channel on discord (is that the right app?) for chatting and instructions.

looks like they had more than a dozen people yesterday.
Discord? is this being run by 13 year old girls? haha

Patrick

Staff member

iman29

iman29

Feb 22 - TGIF ride

Get outside if you can its pretty nice out today doesnt feel that cold. Nice cruise for a Friday with a buddy of mine and we did a few moderate efforts to get the blood pumping.

One Fine Friday
Distance 29.1 mi
Moving Time 1:51:47
Avg Speed 15.7 mi/h
Elev Gain 2,060 ft

CrankAddictRich

I think in June it was close to the release of Watopia which ushered in a lot of new riders, but the original was called Jarvis Island and it was the only course for a long time. They even used to have "ghost" riders around so you were not alone and could draft a little (blue riders)

Zwift - 03/02/2015 Island Strava First Ride

Oh wow... You got on Jarvis Island. You really were an OG. I just missed Jarvis. I remember the blue AI riders all too well. Its crazy to think back to those times, there might have only been 40 or 50 riders on at a time back then, now you go on and there might be 4000.

iman29

Catching up post, just 2 rides so not that far behind.

Feb 23th Martys Spicy Saturday with a Side of Beacon

Distance 40.2 mi
Moving Time 2:24:42
Avg Speed 16.7 mi/h
Elev Gain 1,811 ft

Since the weather looked manageable I convinced a buddy of mine to ride early so we could get some miles in before the group shop ride, so we left at 7AM and it was not that bad, plus zero wind. We both needed to be back early due to family stuff so this is how we can get some extra ride time without getting put in the doghouse at home. I had to be back 9:30 sharp for kids basketball practice so I had the " DONT BE LATE" text already on my phone when I woke up.

The plan was good we cruised around for an hour to warm up and get the legs ready, knowing today we would try and hang in with the fast guys who planned a Tempo workout. There was a decent turnout and we had about 6-7 guys ready to roll. The 8AM ride blasted off as expected and we basically did a 45 minute effort with some limited regrouping. The lead guys can totally go faster but it was a good group and the purpose was to get everyone in on having a decent effort while not dropping anyone (unless they wanted to be). If it's not obvious there was no time for pictures, even at the first hour too lazy to take off my gloves.

Feb 25th

Zwift - Minimal Monday Motivation
Distance 13.1 mi
Moving Time 46:23

No way I was trying to fight those winds today, with trees and garbage cans flying I was not taking a chance outside. Aside from that I had zero motivation to do anything aince Saturday's ride and my back issues seemed to flare up this morning, so just did some steady cadence for this ride.

iman29

Oh wow... You got on Jarvis Island. You really were an OG. I just missed Jarvis. I remember the blue AI riders all too well. Its crazy to think back to those times, there might have only been 40 or 50 riders on at a time back then, now you go on and there might be 4000.

Ive seen simultaneous postings where people see over 10K online at once for some of the big events. Sadly, my old laptop can't keep up with the video anymore so for now I switch to on off schedule course manually when I ride and just ride mostly alone. I dont mind I still can get my workouts in as needed.

Top Bottom