I need to vent or put up hypotheticals about 6MR and mud riders.

Do you mind if I vent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Um. Not everyone uses Strava. Beyond that, Strava has privacy controls. I don’t ride 6MR when it’s closed, but if I did I sure as hell wouldn’t make my Strava track public.

Bingo. There are no consequences.

That gets us back to the original question of whether or not the park is legally closed or is it just a grass roots effort by a bunch of conscientious folks to try and protect the trails.

true - but if the enforcement was targeted against the people they know did it, then maybe it would get the word out.
(or they would shut off their strava - and word would get around to mark rides private.)

here is this month's winners.

1615842211323.png

kearneyb

i thought private accounts still showed on the leaderboard. maybe only for strava premium?

A sign, like a lock, will only keep out the honest. I think it was posted here previously, when trail maintenance is scheduled some outreach to the groups in question asking for help w/ trail maintenance would be a good first step.

I'm not sure how recent, but below snip is from https://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/drcanal.html
1615843190669.png

not the clearest public message by limiting access to a number of mountain bike trails.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i thought private accounts still showed on the leaderboard. maybe only for strava premium?

A sign, like a lock, will only keep out the honest. I think it was posted here previously, when trail maintenance is scheduled some outreach to the groups in question asking for help w/ trail maintenance would be a good first step.

I'm not sure how recent, but below snip is from https://www.njparksandforests.org/parks/drcanal.html
View attachment 153902

not the clearest public message by limiting access to a number of mountain bike trails.
That at least shows it’s official. Im gonna put that on the Central Nj MTB Facebook group. $5 I’m banned after I post it.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

View attachment 153902

Ground is dry is relative and is “limiting” access. Even with the high level legal knowledge, this basically means nothing. It needs to say closed to have any legal meaning.

Last edited:

johnbryanpeters

That group is full of assclowns. So much so that the assclowns started an even more assclown group where they could be bigger assclowns.
We have assclowns building huge stacked pallet bonfires on Friday nights on one of our trails, leaving charcoal, nails, melted glass, aluminum cans, and similar crap. We seem to have managed to get the police on them this past Friday.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We have assclowns building huge stacked pallet bonfires on Friday nights on one of our trails, leaving charcoal, nails, melted glass, aluminum cans, and similar crap. We seem to have managed to get the police on them this past Friday.

The assclowns are usually all too eager to post their assclownery on all Social Media outlets so others can easily identify them, where they assclown, and when.

snashters

Since this is a picture of about 20’ of trail, and it being the worst - is it 70-80% dry everywhere else (if not better) or you are leaving footprints every step of the way and slipping all over the place?

Reason I ask is a few bad spots are one thing vs the majority of the trail being like the bad spots being another.
It was a few bad spots, typically in the shade where the snow/ice remained or had only recently melted.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
there are a few board members on there - but snow and frozen doesn't count.
or does it?
Closed is closed. If we all start deciding on our own that "today" it's ok then we are really no different than the assclowns.

I felt bad because I talked a buddy out of riding there in January when it was frozen solid. The next day he let me know that several team mtbNJ members in full mtbNJ kit were seen on bikes there the day before. I'm not going to go into detail any further than that. Look, I get it, no harm was done when it was frozen but how can "we" get all offended when people disregard the closure when "we" do it too? Seems a bit hypocritical to me to say the least. Worst case is it diminishes the credibility of the information on this site.

I haven't ridden at 6 Mile since October 24th and I agree with closing the trails. I think the whole "closure" was poorly conducted, poorly communicated, and obviously not enforced. This gives serious question as to whether or not it's even a legitimate closure. We can all make our own conclusion on that based on the lack of a clear, official response. I've been biting my tongue on this for a while because I didn't want to put it in writing on this site but I feel it needs to be said.

-----------------

Food for though. I rode in GA with my brother a couple weeks ago. The trails there evaluated daily when needed. It's not a one time deal that goes on for months. There is official signage and locked gates to convey the message and the simple fact that people are regularly evaluating the trails gives legitimacy to the closures.

In contrast, this was put up by someone months ago at 6MR and there have been no official updates since...
6mr.jpeg

I don't mean to offend anyone here but this is a joke.

rick81721

Lothar
Closed is closed. If we all start deciding on our own that "today" it's ok then we are really no different than the assclowns.

I felt bad because I talked a buddy out of riding there in January when it was frozen solid. The next day he let me know that several team mtbNJ members in full mtbNJ kit were seen on bikes there the day before. I'm not going to go into detail any further than that. Look, I get it, no harm was done when it was frozen but how can "we" get all offended when people disregard the closure when "we" do it too? Seems a bit hypocritical to me to say the least. Worst case is it diminishes the credibility of the information on this site.

I haven't ridden at 6 Mile since October 24th and I agree with closing the trails. I think the whole "closure" was poorly conducted, poorly communicated, and obviously not enforced. This gives serious question as to whether or not it's even a legitimate closure. We can all make our own conclusion on that based on the lack of a clear, official response. I've been biting my tongue on this for a while because I didn't want to put it in writing on this site but I feel it needs to be said.

-----------------

Food for though. I rode in GA with my brother a couple weeks ago. The trails there evaluated daily when needed. It's not a one time deal that goes on for months. There is official signage and locked gates to convey the message and the simple fact that people are regularly evaluating the trails gives legitimacy to the closures.

In contrast, this was put up by someone months ago at 6MR and there have been no official updates since...
View attachment 153933

I don't mean to offend anyone here but this is a joke.

Disagree. When the trails are covered with snow and frozen that's open to me. Zero chance of doing any damage - I rode there twice in Dec after snow - some of the best snow riding I've ever had. And fyi there were no closed signs in the canal lot

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I just had a conversation with a woman picking up her bike. She asked why nobody has been riding 6MR? I told her it's been closed.... She said "people really listen to that little sign?"

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The next day he let me know that several team mtbNJ members in full mtbNJ kit were seen on bikes there the day before.

While this may or may not be true, I repeatedly hear stories about "MTBNJ team riders" that have done things that are absolutely not true. Just heard a story about a huge pack of team riders in Jungle that were rude and it was like a Wednesday morning. I can tell you that absolutely 0% chance there was a team ride on a random Wednesday that I am not aware of.

Likewise, I do not recall any team riders going to Six Mile this year. Not saying that's not the case and I have forgotten or did not know. But there's a lot of vague hand waving going on at times.

RideOnTime

Disagree. When the trails are covered with snow and frozen that's open to me. Zero chance of doing any damage - I rode there twice in Dec after snow - some of the best snow riding I've ever had. And fyi there were no closed signs in the canal lot
The “sign” was not posted until first week of January.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
While this may or may not be true, I repeatedly hear stories about "MTBNJ team riders" that have done things that are absolutely not true. Just heard a story about a huge pack of team riders in Jungle that were rude and it was like a Wednesday morning. I can tell you that absolutely 0% chance there was a team ride on a random Wednesday that I am not aware of.

Likewise, I do not recall any team riders going to Six Mile this year. Not saying that's not the case and I have forgotten or did not know. But there's a lot of vague hand waving going on at times.

Not that there was anything wrong with it, but didn’t @jdog sell a few MTBNJ kits to the public at halters?

I remember seeing someone wearing full kit on a Thursday ride at CR and I was like hey new guy, are you coming? He was with his own group and he no idea who we were

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions