I NEED A BIKE!!!...Please help me!

Certainly your choice would come down to what you want, but here's my two cents anywhey:

The two places you mentioned as potential riding spots are vastly different as far as terrain goes (Hartshorne vs. Diablo). Trying to find a bike that will serve you well at both may be a bit of a challenge. My opinion here, but 150mm of rear travel on the heckler is overkill for places like Hartshorne and while you may not think that you'll get frustrated climbing on a longer travel bike, you're thinking may change when you're actually out there.

As far as Diablo, I would take a trip up there and rent a bike to see if you'll want to go there regularly. Not for anything, but the trails get a bit hairy and can be discouraging if you're not partially insane. I've been there once on a DH rental and don't know if I'd want to be on a bike w/ less travel than the 8" bike I was on (I know, some guys ride hardtails there no problem).

My point - I would go with a bike that would suit where you will be riding most of the time (either a hardtail or shorter travel bike). I also agree w/ Jake about maybe lowering your projected amount that you are looking to spend. Build your skill set on XC trails, try Diablo on a rental and see if this whole mountain biking thing is for you. A couple years and you're out of college making money - time to upgrade.

Again - just my opinion. Truth be told, you'll have fun on any bike you buy. Now go buy something already.

Mike

Ummm, okay...Not really what I was expecting. Not trying to be "the boy who cried wolf" just looking for some suggestions and trying to get this right the first time. I have a pretty good feeling of what I want. I'm okay with not having a perfect bike for around here. If it can get me around with relative ease, and still work elsewhere, like Diablo, that's great. I know one bike can't do everything perfect, but I'm not looking for that, considering I'm not trying to do the extremes of a certain "discipline," just part of each, which what I want my bike to do...Guess I'll just do some more research on my own, take some more test rides and try to figure things out...

And Joe, it is a single pivot, and I know that's a drawback of that design, so when I test rode it, I tried to really work the pedals, but the bike didn't bob very much at all. Perhaps because of the shock on there, but like I said, it felt good.

EDIT: Went to reply and by the time I was done there was another response....

Mike - Thanks for your input. That is a good idea, and I think I will try to check out Diablo when it opens, but that's a long way out, so we'll see. And I feel pretty confident that mountain biking is for me, most people, myself included, change their minds and will want different things. Without even having a bike, I haven't stopped wanting to mountain bike for close to three years, and now that I've rode a little bit, I love it already. And like I said above, I don't want a bike perfect for everything, I realize that doesn't exist, but just something for a bit of everything....

Last edited:
that's pretty much it. i guess.

regardless of me hocking my bike, knowing what i know now, i would NEVER spend that kinda cake on a first bike. you just don't know what you're going to get into or how your needs are going to change. what you think is your perfect bike today may be your $2600 garage art in three months. but it's your money so, sure, buy a heckler.

Agreed. After years off the bike, I bought a Turner 5-spot because I know I needed a suspension and thought I needed something that did everything well.

Well, I've since decided that I'm never gonna' be hucking, dropping, or bombing down hills; I found I have no interest in that and I just can't overcome the fear of f'in up my back again ('thought I could 6 months ago)--I've rediscovered how much I love mountain biking and wanna' do my best to make sure I can keep doing it.

I'm also finding that I rarely use more than 4 out of my 5+ inches of travel; already at 30% sag and I still don't use more than 4. And even after getting used to the 5-spot, I still miss the sharp handling of my old M2 Stumpjumper.

I also figured that I'd be doing a lot more long rides than I have...it is looking like 1-2 hour rides will be the mode 95% plus (plus!) of the time.

So, in the end, a quicker handling bike than the 5-spot, with similar ground clearance to handle the rock gardens around here, 4" of travel, and no need for longer ride comfort would have been a better fit for me. In other words, a Flux, or dare I say it, a Sultan (stay back 29er Borg!).

Don't get me wrong, I don't regret getting the 5-spot...it is a great bike and would be perfect if I thought my needs might change as time goes on. I'm just saying that, in the end, I didn't need the flexibility the 5-spot gives me and that there are other bikes better designed for the riding I do.

I'll be the one person to say the Heckler is a fine choice. Is it as efficient a pedaler or climber as the Trance? Nope. No single pivot no matter how smart a design is going to pedal like a DW-link, Maestro or VPP unless it weighs 25 pounds or less (a la the new Scalpel), but there's a lot of people out there that swear by the single pivots that Orange, Cdale and Santa Cruz make, and feel the virtual pivots made elsewhere detract from the feel of the trail. Also a single pivot bike is hella easy to maintain and upgrade yourself, and are usually a bit quieter too. Older design? yep. Outdated design? Only depending on your riding style.

This is a XC-race type of a crowd on here, so you won't get many people lusting over a Heckler. But post a Trance vs Heckler thread in the All-mountain forum on MTBR and you'll get different answers. Given the places you mentioned I'd side with the Trance. But the Heckler could be awesome too, just in a different way.

I wasn't trying to be an ass but since you ignored everyone's opinion for the most part, I am sure people are unlikely to give more feedback.

Some of the best riders in the state have told you that the Trance X is the way to go.

For example my friend Tim lives in Randolph and raced semi pro DH.

His regular bike is a Trance X 0.

He races on a bigger bike but says that he is very happy riding XC on the Trance.

Scott, try not to get discouraged, its just that alot of people here have many many years of riding under their belts. They seem to just be trying to guide you in the right direction.

Also consider on top of your bike purchase, fees for Diablo, protective gear, gas, etc. Also, I would think that with more aggressive riding habits come more aggressive repair and maintenance bills.

Whatever you decide to buy, Im sure you will enjoy.

I wasn't trying to be an ass but since you ignored everyone's opinion for the most part, I am sure people are unlikely to give more feedback.

You know how you find a $50 bill on the ground and keep asking people if you should give it back? And you keep asking different people until someone says you should keep it, even if the first 19 said give it back? That's kinda what I'm getting out of this thread.

I agree with Norm. I also think that when you first get into mtb or are getting back into it, the big hit bikes look/are burly, can have impressive suspension designs, big fat tires and are highly promoted by mtb action, bike and some other mags. When you read all these articles saying this is the trail bike for you, blah blah blah it is easy to get caught up in it.

Scott we are just trying to avoid you riding your bike and then realizing you probably don't need 6+ inches of travel. Also watch that video in the other thread of the guy riding woodward west stunts on a 20". While he isn't riding super tech rocky stuff, if you have a landing, you don't need a ton of suspension.

There's a couple things to reply to, so I guess I'll do it individually...

Fog - At the end, you say you didn't need the flexibility that the 5-spot gave you which, by what you said, I could understand. But that's the thing, I want a bike that can give me that flexibility. Something that can go everywhere and not have to worry about it. Like I said, I don't care if it doesn't do everything perfect, I realize that bike doesn't exist, just as long as it does everything good enough so I can do whatever type of riding I want.

Justin - Thanks for the honest opinion on the Heckler, lol. I realize the SP design has it drawbacks, but it being my first bike, perhaps the SP aspect would be good for me to learn to service my own bike...? And I'm definitely beginning to see that most here are more geared to XC type riding. And there's no problem with that, its just I feel like some are instantly dismissing my choices because they feel it wouldn't be best for what they like to ride without considering what I'm saying. I doubt that's the case really, it just seems that at times. And about the MTBR thing, your absolutely correct.

J - I realize you weren't being an ass, and I am changing my mind around a little bit, which makes it seem like I'm not listening, but I'm definitely not dismissing what you guys are saying. Nor am I dismissing the Trance X. If I were dismissing it, I wouldn't have mentioned it at any of the shops I went to, nor would I have taken the time to test ride it. It's still a choice, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there. And people always say ride the bike, see how it feels, that's most important, well I rode the Trance X, and it didn't feel that great to me. And I rode the Heckler, which felt better fit-wise. And I'll be honest, until I came home and did some research, I thought the Heckler was still a 5 or 5.5" design, so I'm not just saying that because of the 6" travel. And also you say "He races on a bigger bike but says that he is very happy riding XC on the Trance." Well that's the thing I don't want to do just XC, if I did, I probably would be looking at something with even less travel than that, a regular Trance perhaps. But I want something between his big bike and his XC bike. Again, something for a little bit of everything.

Walter - I'm not too discouraged, and I know I asked for your guys opinions and that's what I'm getting. And I respect your guys answers because like you said, you've been riding for longer than me, and I know you guys probably know it all better than me. It's just that, like I said to Justin, it feels like some are just dismissing what I'm saying. And I've already considered costs for other things, so that's not a big problem. And also, you say with more aggressive comes more aggressive repair and maintenance, which is why I'm looking for a slightly more aggressive bike upfront.

Norm - That's not the case at all. Had that been the case, this would have been over a few days a go when I had a shop employee recommend the Reign, and honestly tell me a lot of what I thought and was looking to hear. I would have settled on it right there and not listened to you guys. But I'm still here, still listening, still looking for opinions, and I still tested the bike that most all of you recommended with an open mind. I'm not dismissing your thoughts, just trying to gauge different things.

stb - I know there's certainly a lot of propaganda out there and I'm trying to look past it all. With the Heckler, it's certainly not the big burly bike with the nice suspension. It's old school, fairly simple looking frame with SP suspension. And while I have read a few articles on the bike, most of the good things I've heard from it are from people. Whether somebody who has one themselves, or knows somebody who has and loves it. And I know I don't need tons of suspension it just happens to be the bikes I'm looking at.

And in general, on the note of suspension travel, it has nothing to do with me wanting a 6" bike. It just happens to be that the bikes I've been looking at thus far happen to be all right around 6". I'd have no problem with the 5" of the Trance X, if the bike were built up a little better and aimed at a more aggressive type of riding. If you all feel the problem is just the 6" travel part, then suggest a strong 5" bike capable of some aggressive type riding, a little bit of everything, like what I want. I'm yet to really see many as seems most companies seem to feel for a little more aggressive stuff, 6" is about the standard. But like I've said numerous times, I'm not looking for one bike to excel at doing it all and be perfect. I'm looking for a bike that might be a compromise in some areas, but can still tread wherever I please. I don't care if I have a slight weight penalty taking it up a hill, but I know I'd want something that is a little better at coming down.

Again, I'm not dismissing any of your ideas, and I certainly respect your answers as you guys have been riding for longer than I. So don't instantly dismiss me as being stubborn or ignorant, because I'm not, I'm just really trying to see what's out there. Trying to gauge certain things. And I feel at times you guys are just dismissing what I'm saying that I don't care about weight or if it's not perfect for flat trails, I don't want something aimed at flat trails, otherwise I'd get a cruiser and stick to sidewalks. And a lot of people say fit is important and the Heckler seemed to fit me very well, but nobody had anything to say to that.

At this point, after wanting a bike for three years, it's becoming a little less of a concern what type of bike I get, as I just wanna get out and ride. All I'm positive is that I'm not looking to race XC, so I don't want a bike geared toward that. I'm looking for something to take me out there and hold up to whatever I throw at it wherever I am, be it Hartshorne, Diablo, Allaire, or riding around town to screw around or even just grabbing a bite to eat. And the last thing I want is something that will be too little for what I want, and perhaps hold me back(in the "riding aggressively" sense) or break because that would probably turn me away from the sport. So I guess, perhaps, in all honesty, maybe something that is slightly overkill...And if it winds up being absolute and total overkill where I don't like it, you are all more then welcome to say "I told you so." But until then, like I said, maybe something that is build up a little extra and could be seen as slightly overkill....

Again, thanks for any of YOUR responses, and putting up with MY seemingly endless and very lengthy responses. I want you guys to know I'm not dismissing anything yet, and still look for some opinions.

Scott
:eek:

skate bike

just get one of these

stuffskatebike.jpg

my friend has one and it's crazy!!! we found it in a dumpster....

I just got a phone call from a guy who was looking for this bike to ride at Chimney Rock:

Reign-X0-Anodized-Silver.jpg

He told me that I am missing out on a big market by not stocking a bike like this.

SO maybe Scott is on the right track??

Am I off base to think that this is a bit much for around here??

I am sure someone would buy it but man I feel like this is overkill.

My take is that 4-5" of travel is the ticket for central NJ. Maybe 6 for Notrhern NJ.

For a trail bike in central 6" is too much, I think your stock is right on except for maybe all of the 29er SS mumbo jumbo;:D bring on the comments!

Although the Jet9 will probably change my mind about the 29er part....

I just got a phone call from a guy who was looking for this bike to ride at Chimney Rock:
Reign-X0-Anodized-Silver.jpg

He told me that I am missing out on a big market by not stocking a bike like this.

SO maybe Scott is on the right track??

Am I off base to think that this is a bit much for around here??

I am sure someone would buy it but man I feel like this is overkill.

My take is that 4-5" of travel is the ticket for central NJ. Maybe 6 for Notrhern NJ.

J, if someone in suburbia NJ wants to buy a HUMMER H2 from you knowing he will never take it off-road, are you going to talk him out of it? I think you can give all the advise you want but a customer will buy what he wants to buy, overkill or not. So if the market demands overkill then so be it. We see a lot of overkill purchases people make, not just with bikes but with just about everything.... especially cars.

I see lots of 6 inch bikes at Allamuchy & Ringwood. Also would be perfect for playing at Sourlands. It may be overkill for CR but would still be fun. That bike is suppose to pedals great too. Plus 6 inch is the new 5 inch.

I've ridden a couple times with a guy who rides a 6" coil-spring 40 lb Mountain Cycle, and he destroys the yellow trail and c-ball trail in ringwood/skyline. the dude has a sleek 4" Yeti at home that he says he never uses.

I've ridden a couple times with a guy who rides a 6" coil-spring 40 lb Mountain Cycle, and he destroys the yellow trail and c-ball trail in ringwood/skyline. the dude has a sleek 4" Yeti at home that he says he never uses.

I bet that Reign doesn't weight 40 lbs either. Looks like a fun bike to me, but I wouldn't want it to be my only ride.

Back
Top Bottom