How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Yea, I agree you can't time it but I didn't want to enter like last month. That much I did know!
I haven't looked at my portfolios for two weeks. I know it's down like a mother fucker. I probably couldn't stomach it then my mental and physical will be compromised then I will definitely get Covid19.

don't look, keep investing. 3 month fire sale!

roc

Just got a call from our CFP, relaying current status, our positioning re: market and short term expectations. Stay the course!
At this point, do we have a choice? I am feverishly hoping it bounces back like 2008, but man, it could be a fucking long time. I need a couple of valium, if anybody wants to send me a few! And, no I’m not kidding!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
One of the forestry staff had recently told me that his retirement plan consists of a room full of collectable Lionel trains, still in their boxes. I thought that was funny. But now I'm starting to wonder if that is a good plan.

just kidding.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am feverishly hoping it bounces back

It always bounces back, but like you referenced, the question is what is the timeframe. And you're assuming we have hit the bottom, which we probably have not yet. An ideal situation would be a "V" bottom, but this may stay down for an extended period and flatten out for a while. The market does not like uncertainty, and there is a lot of that currently.

Fire Lord Jim

If you think this is the end of capitalism, then buy gold, ammo, and toilet paper. But if you think this is fear-based panic selling, then stocks are on sale. When to buy? No one knows. We dollar cost average on the way up, and we should dollar cost average on the way down. Waiting for the bottom to buy assumes you will be good at calling the bottom, when you just did such a lousy job of calling the top.

When will it bounce back? My crystal ball doesn't show a bounce. There is a real problem behind this panic. Societal response to Covid-19 is harming the economy. Schools, parades, conferences, parties are canceling in an economy that requires consumer spending and continual Federal Reserve coddling just to keep it pointed in the right direction. I suspect that we will all get this flu, and we will heal and get back to normal by summer. I don't imagine the economy will recover as quickly as our species will, and I suspect we will be looking at how panic brought down the economy for much longer.

Last edited:

thegock

Europe was 7% down this morning (as of 6am EDT is must be around lunch time there.) The move includes whatever positive impact tRump had on the market with the Friday dog and pony show, which occurred after the European close. US Futures down the CME 5% limit overnight. My guess is a Monday with a full circuit breaker limit of 13% drop in the US markets on the day. We all hope that I am wrong, of course.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Europe was 7% down this morning (as of 6am EDT is must be around lunch time there.) The move includes whatever positive impact tRump had on the market with the Friday dog and pony show, which occurred after the European close. US Futures down the CME 5% limit overnight. My guess is a Monday with a full circuit breaker limit of 13% drop in the US markets on the day. We all hope that I am wrong, of course.
I agree. Ban on short selling coming soon.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I agree. Ban on short selling coming soon.

there shall be no put without a foot!

Leave them open, leave the throttles in-place.

All different sorts of things are going to trigger - asset/liability ratios, stupid stuff like that - paper things.
uber rich don't like to lose money. so i can count on them to straighten it out for the rest of us.

rlb

Just looked (I've been avoiding all of this) and I'm down 23% on the year. Yay. I should have reallocated some funds when the shit was headed towards the fan.

Should I just ride it out now? Pull the plug and move my $$ to "stable" funds?

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just looked (I've been avoiding all of this) and I'm down 23% on the year. Yay. I should have reallocated some funds when the shit was headed towards the fan.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

I’m not a finance guy but what I am doing personally is tryi g to ride the wave. I think we are oversold. We may have a rally until earnings start coming out next month. Then my mental bet is things will get clobbered. I am long real estate and banks right now. Only about 25% invested. Rest is in cash.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Considering you are 25 years from retirement? Yes, ride it out and increase your contribution.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Pulling the plug and getting out of stocks now basically locks in your losses - pretty much the worst thing to do IMO.
I think immediately getting in cash isn’t neccessary but it doesn’t hurt to do so if you see a bounce higher. I don’t understand this thinking. Isn’t it better in uncertainity to cut a loss at say 15-20% than to potentially lose even more? The market always gives opportunity. I hesistate to call a bottom with so much of the unknown and I haven’t seen any real fear.

rick81721

Lothar
I think immediately getting in cash isn’t neccessary but it doesn’t hurt to do so if you see a bounce higher. I don’t understand this thinking. Isn’t it better in uncertainity to cut a loss at say 15-20% than to potentially lose even more? The market always gives opportunity. I hesistate to call a bottom with so much of the unknown and I haven’t seen any real fear.

seriously? you go from stocks to cash now you lose 25% and have no chance to recoup when the market comes back. only makes sense if you are a gloom and doomed and think the world is ending, in that case, shouldn't be in the market at all. In the real world tho....

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The only way you would go to cash is if you think the market is truly going to collapse. However, you mention you only have 25% invested anyways, so 75% of you saving is already "safe".

Top Bottom