How the hell are we supposed to retire?

The only way you would go to cash is if you think the market is truly going to collapse. However, you mention you only have 25% invested anyways, so 75% of you saving is already "safe".
Right, but why does everyone need to be “in” the market all the time? Cash can be a very safe place. It doesn’t need to be 100% cash but if you are fully invested you won’t have funds when you really should be buying.

Those of you who have subscribed to my newsletter will be receiving an update shortly.HOAR DING IMG_20200316_110449-01.jpg

Meanwhile, I am going out to add to my 8,888 rolls of toilet paper that I have hoarded.

Right, but why does everyone need to be “in” the market all the time? Cash can be a very safe place. It doesn’t need to be 100% cash but if you are fully invested you won’t have funds when you really should be buying.
Because of this:
2020Outlook_SPChart.PNG-623x375.png

Even if we are over inflated, and this doesn't include the recent fall out, at 20,000 we are still double the value 10 yer ago. Are you able to double you cash (with no contributions) every 10 years?

Because of this:

Even if we are over inflated, and this doesn't include the recent fall out, at 20,000 we are still double the value 10 yer ago. Are you able to double you cash (with no contributions) every 10 years?
So mentally you are betting we will be at dow 40k in another 10? That chart doesn’t show the most recent carnage. The biggest crash since 87 isn’t scaring people...that’s scary.

Because of this:

I hate to admit it, but Kevin is right. Might not want to talk about the Dow #s right below an S&P (my fave index) graph, but that's just nitpicking on my part.

Sunday, I talked to two of the smartest and wealthiest people I know. I also talked to two of my idiot pals, for balance. I didn't do anything. Today, I will talk to another Harvard MBA type and see what he recommends.

This is just so much fun!!!! Especially, with Vanguard being unavailable so I can see what part of a 10 year old 26" hardtail I lost yesterday.
THES TEVE IMG_20200301_103115-01 (1).jpg

So mentally you are betting we will be at dow 40k in another 10? That chart doesn’t show the most recent carnage. The biggest crash since 87 isn’t scaring people...that’s scary.
Sure, maybe the gains over the 10 years are over inflated, but regardless your cash won’t gain 25% over 10 years.

we aren’t talking day trading here

The one hope I have is that rich, white peolle don’t like to lose money. The one thing that may be a stick in the spokes for them is a biological road block. I think this will make the 1%ers the 1/2%ers where the mega rich will control most of the wealth but in an even smaller number of people.

Sure, maybe the gains over the 10 years are over inflated, but regardless your cash won’t gain 25% over 10 years.

we aren’t talking day trading here
Well this is why I locked my IRA into 10% return with 30% downside protection via structured notes. That’s where some of my “cash” is.

Back to cash in trade account. Nice grab for the day but nothing the men have said have given a move that is holding. No confidence yet.

Just looked (I've been avoiding all of this) and I'm down 23% on the year. Yay. I should have reallocated some funds when the shit was headed towards the fan.

Should I just ride it out now? Pull the plug and move my $$ to "stable" funds?

average down. If you have some extra cash, drop it in, not in one big chunk, but some extra here and there. I put money into my account(s) 4x a month. Going to cash is good to do before the market drops, not after, and that’s timing the market, which is something I would not recommend attempting.

if you don’t have an emergency cash fund, build that up. There’s multiple theories on how much. I have my opinion which is worth zilch but I have one. All of this is much easier said than done.

Anywho, when people are scared, that’s the time to put money in IMHO. There is still plenty of money to be made, deals to be done, opportunities for people to take. Look at the innovation and need in the health care space that is needed RIGHT NOW. That’s opportunity. As long as two humans walk the earth and have a few dollars between them, one is going to innovate to get a few more dollars than the other guy. Markets and business and opportunities will always exist. Even in crap times like this, someone is going to bring something to market that will create demand.

Leaving everything as-is and will continue to ride it out!
Limit down again this morning. The economy is in a freefall. If we break yesterday’s lows watch out below. Keep a close eye on bonds. My gut told me to be liquid overnight which I am thankful for. Part of me thought I was shaken off by the big guys but futures tell a different tale. I start to lose faith when the 1%ers are losing their wealth. There are only so many Jesse Livermore’s out there. I have a bit of angst with this virus. Almost like the government isn’t letting the public know just how bad it is.

Last edited:
It’s funny but that’s the analogy I use to tell people on how easy it is to become a millionaire. Invest a thousand bucks and keep doubling...1k,2k,4k,8k,16k,32k,64k,128k,256k,512k...$1,000,024.

see this thread and the time-value-of-money stuff ....
you don't need money to become wealthy, you need time!
(at 10% your example would take 70 years...)

my income fund cut the same amount as last month (normalized for 2 extra days), although it lost 10% of value.
i'll need to see if there was a return of principal in there.

see this thread and the time-value-of-money stuff ....
you don't need money to become wealthy, you need time!
(at 10% your example would take 70 years...)

my income fund cut the same amount as last month (normalized for 2 extra days), although it lost 10% of value.
i'll need to see if there was a return of principal in there.
Just make a few good options bets.

Back
Top Bottom