How the hell are we supposed to retire?

Fire Lord Jim

The second cleated SPD shoe has dropped, or at least started to succumb to gravity. Companies are cutting or eliminating dividends. I have noticed three so far, but expect many more. My retirement strategy (full disclosure, I am retired) has been to collect tax-free dividends and 15% taxed capital gains, with Roth conversions in the dips. I have kept my powder dry for Roth conversion thus far in 2020, as I suspect the dip is yet to come.
I may have to change my retirement strategy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm in - and i'm in big (well for a little guy)
30% of my retirement is in this fund.
It is so big, that it is included in the wife's 401k

@Patrick Yeah, been in that one for years...didn't realize that an additional $2B had been added since Spring...As Mr Bogle said, I just "Stay the Course" ,and have not really been checking in as the money I have there needs to last another 40 years (won't retire for at least 10 years yet), so the short term volatility is more background noise to me

Patrick

Staff member
@Patrick Yeah, been in that one for years...didn't realize that an additional $2B had been added since Spring...As Mr Bogle said, I just "Stay the Course" ,and have not really been checking in as the money I have there needs to last another 40 years (won't retire for at least 10 years yet), so the short term volatility is more background noise to me

Vanguard sp500
Vanguard Total International

are #2 & #3 in size. i'm also in them - although international has been disappointing, does that mean there is pent-up growth ?

i'm 5 years away - or should i say my wife is 5 years away.....
apparently she'd like me to keep start working!

rick81721

Lothar

We have a chunk in similar funds. Can't go wrong unless you are a dave gloom & doom disciple!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

So confused. Article keeps mentioning VTSMX for the Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund.

Is that the old non-Admiral share name? It should be VTSAX for Vanguard Total Stock Market Fund Admiral Shares, which is now only $3,000 minimum.

Yeah, for stocks I just go purely 100% VTSAX for the weekly automatic purchase. This will change when my company's new 401K kicks in in October, I'm going all in on my fear of the stock market. So I'm going 95% VTSAX and 5% International... :)

On a related note, I've been reading how there isn't an advantage for a lot of 401k plans, especially without a company max purely due to the high fees that many plans charge destroy all the tax savings.

Patrick

Staff member
@Santapez you are correct. That ithe investor share class. now closed.
I put &$ in VWEAX also. Monthly dividends with reinvest. Principal is more volatile than bonds, but was yielding over 4%. MHCAX Is another.

i never looked at the 401k fund price vs brokerage. May have to do that. Hoping for solid tax advantage some day.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
@Santapez you are correct. That ithe investor share class. now closed.
I put &$ in VWEAX also. Monthly dividends with reinvest. Principal is more volatile than bonds, but was yielding over 4%. MHCAX Is another.

i never looked at the 401k fund price vs brokerage. May have to do that. Hoping for solid tax advantage some day.
I’ve had good success with structured notes this year. With volatility kicking up you can lock in 15% over 8-12 months.

Patrick

Staff member
I’ve had good success with structured notes this year. With volatility kicking up you can lock in 15% over 8-12 months.

Do you do this in your retirement account?

if you believe this is going to be a volatile market, would straddles be more appealing?
not in retirement account!!!! too risky.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Do you do this in your retirement account?

if you believe this is going to be a volatile market, would straddles be more appealing?
not in retirement account!!!! too risky.
My brain doesn’t handle straddles well. I only go with what I can grasp. I’m a very simple person. Just go with the now.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Sounds good. How do I find one that outperforms the market, plus their fees?
I would assume most people on this site don’t fall into the category where we would have to worry about someone stealing from out 20 million dollar portfolios

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think his point is, why do you have to beat the market? The DJ averages 6.7% return over the last 30+ years. Even if you lose 1% a year to fees/etc, how can you go wrong?

Well, that was kind of my point with the snarky reply about the stockbroker. Where do I find one that beats the market, and does so that it covers their fees?

It's why we're discussing low cost market funds. Don't try to beat the market, just go with it. Why lose the 1% in fees when you can lose 0.04% in fees? Or 0% now with some funds. That 1% over 30 years adds up...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Well, that was kind of my point with the snarky reply about the stockbroker. Where do I find one that beats the market, and does so that it covers their fees?

It's why we're discussing low cost market funds. Don't try to beat the market, just go with it. Why lose the 1% in fees when you can lose 0.04% in fees? Or 0% now with some funds. That 1% over 30 years adds up...
How can you possible rate or know over the long term? Yes, 1% makes a difference but unless you had the same amount of money with two different brokers for the same amount of time...

Patrick

Staff member
I think his point is, why do you have to beat the market? The DJ averages 6.7% return over the last 30+ years. Even if you lose 1% a year to fees/etc, how can you go wrong?

there are calculators for this - 1% is huge. consider when they take it in a down market.

two different brokers

they all do the same thing, otherwise they wouldn't be dealing with people.

so may as well use vanguard's BrokerBot, or whatever they call it. it is free.
it is going to tell you to put you money in total stock market, total intl markets, and a bond fund.

keep doing for 30 years. or 40 if someone actually advises you early enough.

Top Bottom