Hitch Installation

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Have new car which is same model as old car so I had the tow guy pull off my old hitch before they totalled the old car. Install requires drilling holes in the car frame rails which I neither have the tools nor self-confidence to execute. Any recommendations on where to get the install done locally (I'm in Madison) and how much they'd charge me? If any handy MTBNJ DIYers wanna help a brother out, that would be cool too. I have the replacement hardware kit and I can pay in beer, bike parts or good old cashola. Install video below.

Are you just hauling bikes? Since I don't need to tow just went with a simple 6 bolt? Curtlo 1/2 inch. It's less than $100 and does the job fine. The video looks like more than a $50 job. @Paul H did you buy the hitch from uHaul?

Harbor Freight step bit. Yeah, it doesn't look bad at all. That guy must have stock in WD40 tho, damn he was hosing it down!

If no wiring was involved we would do them when I worked at the regular auto shop. Dunno if you've got a good local. Probably charge an hour or two labor. Probably want some spray undercoat to finish the holes.

If you strike out local let me know.

Are you just hauling bikes? Since I don't need to tow just went with a simple 6 bolt? Curtlo 1/2 inch. It's less than $100 and does the job fine. The video looks like more than a $50 job. @Paul H did you buy the hitch from uHaul?
Yes.... bought the hitch from Uhaul and had it installed there.

Hard to believe some hitches still need drilling. I thought they make these things to bolt right up, or did so on the last 3 cars I had.
Some frames doesn't have the holes to attach the hitch.
On my old car, the holes were too small and I had to enlarge them to fit the bolt.

just realized my wife's new explorer didnt come with a hitch. bummer, can't believe i didnt notice that.

If you are talking about a copy.... not really OEM

OEM equivalent has the same mounting holes, I wouldn't have it any other way. Considering modern cars crumple zones I wouldn't want to mount something that would be in a vulnerable position or providing additional support where it shouldn't be.

Yes I'm paranoid

OEM equivalent has the same mounting holes, I wouldn't have it any other way. Considering modern cars crumple zones I wouldn't want to mount something that would be in a vulnerable position or providing additional support where it shouldn't be.

Yes I'm paranoid
I am just being an anal prick

Many vehicles don't have "OEM" hitches. Especially cars.

@gmb3 It looks like the hitch uses those internal nuts that get fished through the frame. Since those probably aren't getting re-used, you may want to purchase a set of them for the install. If you look in the instructions they may list out a separate part # for a kit for those.

Hitches are cheap. I would look on E-Trailer and see if one of the other hitches than the one you have in-hand are easier to install. They often have multiple designs, some easier to install than others. Their site is definitely the go to on information. If there's a better/easier to install hitch buy it as opposed to trying to re-use yours.

A quick look, only the expensive Ecohitch doesn't require drilling though. And that one typically requires full bumper removal and it's actually expensive..

Yes I'm paranoid

You're not paranoid, if an OEM hitch is not provided by the car manufacturer chances are the car was never designed to mount one.

Since in this case the hitch would probably be used only for the bike rack it may not be that much of an issue as opposed to actually tow something. You're still drilling through the car subframe.

I would check the car instruction manual or even the service manual if available, especially with a new car I wouldn't do anything that may void the warranty even though only for rust and corrosion...

Back
Top Bottom