Hitch Installation

OEM hitches don't require holes
Looked up the OEM install for my Forester. No holes...you just have to remove the entire rear bumper, remove the rear bar and then bolt on the hitch, and reinstall the rear bumper. But at least I don't have to drill a couple little holes. Also, the hitch is $400 vs $120 for the curt version. Lol.

the Install for my 2013 Santa Fe required zero drilling and I got a brand new Class III 2" Curt hitch from someone who ordered the wrong one for about 1/2 off retail.

it required no drilling and it was only 6 bolts but I do remember that we used the factory holes/nuts for attaching to the frame.

maybe they sell one that bolts up without drilling. otherwise I know most bike shops or auto shops will do it for $100 or so.

I think my forester had a similar process to install but I didn't want to drill on the outside frame rail so I went through the spare tire compartment and just had to enlarge a hole that was already there

Many vehicles don't have "OEM" hitches. Especially cars.

@gmb3 It looks like the hitch uses those internal nuts that get fished through the frame. Since those probably aren't getting re-used, you may want to purchase a set of them for the install. If you look in the instructions they may list out a separate part # for a kit for those.

Hitches are cheap. I would look on E-Trailer and see if one of the other hitches than the one you have in-hand are easier to install. They often have multiple designs, some easier to install than others. Their site is definitely the go to on information. If there's a better/easier to install hitch buy it as opposed to trying to re-use yours.

A quick look, only the expensive Ecohitch doesn't require drilling though. And that one typically requires full bumper removal and it's actually expensive..
Thanks for all the info. Yes, already bought the hardware kit since the original bolts and washers were not recovered and cannot be reused. And as you found out there is no cheaper/easier to install hitch to get for my car. I'll check with my local oil change/service place or maybe a Uhaul place. I know i could probably do it but i would need to buy tools/wheel ramps and i would take 4x longer than a pro.

First time i "helped" my brother-in-law install it for me and it wasn't too bad. He's a big car guy with all the tools, skills and a proper garage. He lives in CT though and not heading up there anytime soon.

Thanks for all the info. Yes, already bought the hardware kit since the original bolts and washers were not recovered and cannot be reused. And as you found out there is no cheaper/easier to install hitch to get for my car. I'll check with my local oil change/service place or maybe a Uhaul place. I know i could probably do it but i would need to buy tools/wheel ramps and i would take 4x longer than a pro.

First time i "helped" my brother-in-law install it for me and it wasn't too bad. He's a big car guy with all the tools, skills and a proper garage. He lives in CT though and not heading up there anytime soon.

So, because I'm curious, I looked at the instructions. It's just oversizing the hole to to 7/16". Hole is already drilled. Makes it relatively easy...

I'd just ask a local body shop or garage.

Looked up the OEM install for my Forester. No holes...you just have to remove the entire rear bumper, remove the rear bar and then bolt on the hitch, and reinstall the rear bumper. But at least I don't have to drill a couple little holes. Also, the hitch is $400 vs $120 for the curt version. Lol.

That's how the OEM leggy installs too and impreza, they share the bumper mount

@serviceguy I could understand your comment with a smart car or something but these are advertised to outdoors peeps. They have a designed mount that requires no holes drilled

That's how the OEM leggy installs too and impreza, they share the bumper mount

@serviceguy I could understand your comment with a smart car or something but these are advertised to outdoors peeps. They have a designed mount that requires no holes drilled

It doesn't matter who they advertise to, if you install a trailer hitch in a way that the car manufacturer did not intended for it to be installed or the class of the hitch exceeds the towing max load of the car you may run into issues with the warranty. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, I'm just trying to point out possible no technical consequences of a 'non manufacturer sanctioned' installation. I personally would go with something that does not require any permanent modification to the car, even though minimal, especially on a new car.

It doesn't matter who they advertise to, if you install a trailer hitch in a way that the car manufacturer did not intended for it to be installed or the class of the hitch exceeds the towing max load of the car you may run into issues with the warranty. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, I'm just trying to point out possible no technical consequences of a 'non manufacturer sanctioned' installation. I personally would go with something that does not require any permanent modification to the car, even though minimal, especially on a new car.
That's why I brought up OEM or the equivalent they bolt on with no modifications

Well mine is interesting because there are holes with rubber plugs in the specific areas for mounting, but they require a small hole to be drilled to widen it. The fact is, there are a lot of regulations regarding car parts, so I imagine any aftermarket part like this must comply to those regulations, meaning it is safe if properly installed.

Well mine is interesting because there are holes with rubber plugs in the specific areas for mounting, but they require a small hole to be drilled to widen it. The fact is, there are a lot of regulations regarding car parts, so I imagine any aftermarket part like this must comply to those regulations, meaning it is safe if properly installed.

I assume nothing. Think about it, for one, most hitch bike rack cover the car plate, which is illegal...you would think they shouldn't sell it then? When you buy any aftermarket part I bet there's a bunch of disclaimers telling you that if anything happens it's on you...if the manufacturer instructions require you to drill a new hole then it's another story.

Have new car which is same model as old car so I had the tow guy pull off my old hitch before they totalled the old car. Install requires drilling holes in the car frame rails which I neither have the tools nor self-confidence to execute. Any recommendations on where to get the install done locally (I'm in Madison) and how much they'd charge me? If any handy MTBNJ DIYers wanna help a brother out, that would be cool too. I have the replacement hardware kit and I can pay in beer, bike parts or good old cashola. Install video below.

Video won’t load for me. If it’s just enlarging a couple of holes I’m in Denville and would be happy to help. When do you need this done?

Video won’t load for me. If it’s just enlarging a couple of holes I’m in Denville and would be happy to help. When do you need this done?
Thanks for the offer. The video says/shows measuring a distance from existing holes to drill brand new holes, so not enlarging the existing ones. I haven't crawled under the car to confirm though. No timeline other than i can't transport my bike anywhere until it gets installed so i guess that means ASAP!

Thanks for the offer. The video says/shows measuring a distance from existing holes to drill brand new holes, so not enlarging the existing ones. I haven't crawled under the car to confirm though. No timeline other than i can't transport my bike anywhere until it gets installed so i guess that means ASAP!
Ok, the video loaded for me at home. This looks pretty easy. I don't have a bit that big, but from watching the vid it's just an access hole that's being made so it doesn't have to be exact. I could drill it with what I have and then open it up with a round file. I'll shoot you my cell number, give me a call tomorrow after 10:00 and we can discuss. I have no plans so if you're available tomorrow we could do it then. If that's no good then we could set something up for next week after work most any day.

Back
Top Bottom