High Mountain Conditions

JerseyPete

This was the first time I saw the tracks on the single track in that area. Usually they are on the other side of the mountain near the college.
Give him credit for handling the tight turns without creating a rooster tail.

argyle

Had a nice ride there this past weekend. Circleswitch to Deerpath, Shelf, Sparrow to Hawk to the lookout and back down. Conditions were nice and dry. The lower trails included the deer fly in yer face feature but otherwise quite pleasant.

BillyGoatBiker

I found a pretty serious hunting blind off yellow not far from the summit, you can see it from the trail. They have what looks like a semi permanent lean to covered in camouflage tarp, pvc bucket toilet and a trail cam. It faces away from the trail and my guess is its for bow hunting.

Should I call it in? I do not have an issue with hunting in general but this is pretty egregious for a no hunting preserve and its really close to a trail that people hike and bike at at dusk (and sometimes at night) and really not safe.

Any thoughts? Wayne police? NJ Fish and Wildlife? Or leave it be?

Mtbdog

I found a pretty serious hunting blind off yellow not far from the summit, you can see it from the trail. They have what looks like a semi permanent lean to covered in camouflage tarp, pvc bucket toilet and a trail cam. It faces away from the trail and my guess is its for bow hunting.

Should I call it in? I do not have an issue with hunting in general but this is pretty egregious for a no hunting preserve and its really close to a trail that people hike and bike at at dusk (and sometimes at night) and really not safe.

I would think Fish and Wildlife, if you go to Wayne police or other local municipality you'll probably run into dead ends. What cop is gonna turn in another cop when one day his life might depend the other cops backup. This is a never ending problem that would take an independent authority to handle. I got chased out from JVC the other day because I took a picture of someone who had a police shield in the windshield walking around with a huge bag of feed. Mentioned to him, after he said I was weird for taking pics of the woods and wanted me to delete photo, I refused and told him I thought it was weird that he was feeding the animals in a park preserve where feeding the animals is not allowed. To say the least that did not go over well and he ran after me trying to get the pic from me. I laughed as I rode away. The next day there was a dead doe 20' from the Orange trail near JVC. I personally would tear it all apart and trash everything if I didn't think there would be consequences to other bikers. So I refrain although it kills me to do nothing. If you do take action good luck and I have the license # plate of the perp at JVC.

jklett

Call 1-855-OGT-TIPS and report it. They can determine if it's legal or not and deal with it appropriately. Poaching gives law abiding hunters a bad name.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
perhaps they are just spotting birds? that is a strange place to decide to hunt, cause police and all....

roc

I would think Fish and Wildlife, if you go to Wayne police or other local municipality you'll probably run into dead ends. What cop is gonna turn in another cop when one day his life might depend the other cops backup. This is a never ending problem that would take an independent authority to handle. I got chased out from JVC the other day because I took a picture of someone who had a police shield in the windshield walking around with a huge bag of feed. Mentioned to him, after he said I was weird for taking pics of the woods and wanted me to delete photo, I refused and told him I thought it was weird that he was feeding the animals in a park preserve where feeding the animals is not allowed. To say the least that did not go over well and he ran after me trying to get the pic from me. I laughed as I rode away. The next day there was a dead doe 20' from the Orange trail near JVC. I personally would tear it all apart and trash everything if I didn't think there would be consequences to other bikers. So I refrain although it kills me to do nothing. If you do take action good luck and I have the license # plate of the perp at JVC.
What is JVC?

roc

I would just leave it alone. Who knows if it’s the same nutcase that was bi
JVC was a business occupying the building off Valley Rd. in Wayne that has a trailhead in the rear of the building's parking lot. !700 Valley Rd. Wayne.
got it. Right across from Wayne bills.

argyle

Rode there this past Saturday. Higher trails are in good condition. Lower trails are still funnelling the leaves so not so great.
I tried to clear a few turns on Snake where I had missed the turn, lined the turn with some dead branches, in hopes of it helping someone else.
I did my TM for the season. ;)

RickVaughn

Looks like someone threw a bunch of boulders in the middle of jack's. at first i thought it was natural but it they were clearly moved on purpose. have there been issues with hikers/hunters lately? figured nobody cared about that trail

also grandpa's favorite is pretty neglected. i'd be willing to help clear it out but basically hiked it and got super turned around today

pygmypony

hey all! i need to do a kid drop off tomorrow in ridgewood...this place is pretty close by so i was going to check it out

the maps on maprika and trailforks look pretty legit...i was planning on parking at william patterson U....

any tips from any locals?

thanks!

joe c

RickVaughn

hey all! i need to do a kid drop off tomorrow in ridgewood...this place is pretty close by so i was going to check it out

the maps on maprika and trailforks look pretty legit...i was planning on parking at william patterson U....

any tips from any locals?

thanks!

joe c

Most prefer parking at the circle (don’t park actually in the circle) and it opens up a little more of the park. I think it’s easier to back out easy if you take the campus entrance though. Those trails a closer to the main colored trails whereas if you take ancients, you’re kinda stuck on it till the end.

It can be tough to spot some trails and (see above) i got lost on grandpa’s last time out. So having your map out is a must and you’ll be checking it pretty frequently cuz of all the intersections in the middle of the park. It can be tough first time without a guide but I’m sure you’ll have a good time! Think we’re going to WC tomorrow otherwise I’d give you a tour

pygmypony

Most prefer parking at the circle (don’t park actually in the circle) and it opens up a little more of the park. I think it’s easier to back out easy if you take the campus entrance though. Those trails a closer to the main colored trails whereas if you take ancients, you’re kinda stuck on it till the end.

It can be tough to spot some trails and (see above) i got lost on grandpa’s last time out. So having your map out is a must and you’ll be checking it pretty frequently cuz of all the intersections in the middle of the park. It can be tough first time without a guide but I’m sure you’ll have a good time! Think we’re going to WC tomorrow otherwise I’d give you a tour
cool thanks for the tips! by the circle, you mean this spot, right?...

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.27.28 PM.png

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions