high mountain blues?

pat_the_cat

Just saw this... were you the guy in the silver Nissan SUV with what I think was a Trek?
If so, I was the asian guy in a red jersey with a blue Giant.
Howdy! :)

No I was in the lot around 6:50 in a black Focus. I was riding a black Santa Cruz. I didn't really see too many people this morning. A group of woman with a couple dogs and what looked to be three male college students. I rode mostly the marked red and yellow trails. I'm pretty sure that I rode yellow completely backwards. A real loose climb up to a series of switchbacks. Then to the top of a plateau with a rock formation, a fire pit and a quad just sitting there. Played around on a couple unmarked single tracks on the way back down. Place looked completely different than when I was there in the dead of winter lol. Might try and head back there next weekend.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
No I was in the lot around 6:50 in a black Focus. I was riding a black Santa Cruz. I didn't really see too many people this morning. A group of woman with a couple dogs and what looked to be three male college students. I rode mostly the marked red and yellow trails. I'm pretty sure that I rode yellow completely backwards. A real loose climb up to a series of switchbacks. Then to the top of a plateau with a rock formation, a fire pit and a quad just sitting there. Played around on a couple unmarked single tracks on the way back down. Place looked completely different than when I was there in the dead of winter lol. Might try and head back there next weekend.
Ah... I probably got to the north side of HM around 6:15 or so. Rode south down yellow and skipped going to the submit and rode red down to the WP parking lot. Then went back to ride the unmarked trails along the red for a little bit. Anyways, I usually hit HM on the weekends in the early mornings. I always wear a red jersey so if you see an asian guy in a red jersey on a blue and grey Giant at HM... shout me a howdy! :)

liong71er

You missed out a lot of good singletrack there.
Lets meet up next Sunday.
What time is good for you guys?
I can be there at anytime.

pat_the_cat

I'm sure I did. I was just heading in to get an hour or so of riding time. Couldn't have kept exploring but told the wife I wasn't going to be gone for hours.

Had a ride Wednesday night in Stephens that turned into an exploration. Resulted in us getting back to the cars around 9pm lol. Figured two episodes like that in one week would be bad.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I'll let you know if I'll be heading out there next weekend. Possibly ride together and show me around?
As much as I would love to ride with you guys, I would hate to drain the fun out of the ride for you guys with my noobness. If you guys dont mind my slowness, I would be honored. Perhaps you guys can show me how to ride the downhill switchbacks and help me grow some balls. :)
I usually ride early mornings on the weekends.

liong71er

I don't mind at all.
I used to be slow just like you before I get to where I'm now.
It takes a while to get better, so..give yourself a chance to get better don't be discourage by others performance.they too,. are noob before.
So,.. pm me if you wanna ride.
I can teach you, one or two thing.

liong

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I don't mind at all.
I used to be slow just like you before I get to where I'm now.
It takes a while to get better, so..give yourself a chance to get better don't be discourage by others performance.they too,. are noob before.
So,.. pm me if you wanna ride.
I can teach you, one or two thing.

liong
awesome!
Sent you a PM
woo hoo!! getting a lesson from Liong! :)

xtrpureguts

I work in Wayne and have been interested in riding here. Am slow but steady with pretty good skills. I would be in for a Thursday after work ride. Is there a regular ride on Thursdays? What time and where to start?

MixMastaMM

Team Bulldog Rider
lazy sunday ride in HM..these are few feature that not many peoples knew about in high mountain preserve..
first one is what believe to be a small resrvoir that always dried up in summer.but when spring comes it always full.this small oasis is heaven to fauna resident of HMP.i did saw a giant crawfish i try to cath it.also saw blue heron flying near by the reservoir.

second pic is abandoned water tank,.located on the right hand side of the first pic.no idea what it purposed is other than to store water.could have been use for the tree farm that used to be operated here.

and the last is,.dried bottom reservoir.

Where is the dry pond and water tank located? Been riding HM for years and never saw them.

Mike

liong71er

White trail
By the golf course.
You won't miss the pond.
Water tank? You must walk up the hill after crossing the pond.

xtrpureguts

I can't make 5:00. I get out a little later. Found the trail-head today at lunch and will try doing a solo run one of the next few nights. I have one of the new stump jumper 650B's and a neon green helmet. Say hello if you see me. Any suggestions on where to find the unmarked single track appreciated. Earlier in the post there were some hints I'll follow.
- Past the White Trail intersection coming down Red on left
- At the second intersection with the Yellow Trail coming down Red on left
- About a hundred yards up on left if you make a right at the second intersection with the Yellow Trail coming down Red

Hope to see you out there.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any suggestions on where to find the unmarked single track appreciated.

tl;dr; get a garmin or a tour as this probably won't make much sense and will be pretty much impossible to follow.

If you follow red from the school lot, you will eventually get to the intersection where you can go straight to stay on red, or make a right on yellow. Stay straight on red there and descend a bit, and then make a sharp right to a singletrack climb at the bottom. If you get to the white trail intersection by the circle then you just missed it. You'll likely blow by it the first time, so just turn around and then it will be a left. Climb and descend that, then stay left/straight where it dumps you out. Making a right there would put you onto yellow (don't do that).

This trail will dump you back out on red eventually. Make a left onto red, and then a quick right onto an unmarked trail. Shortly after this the trail splits and you can go left over a rock or right. Right is more fun in this direction. This dumps you out on the yellow fireroad eventually near where it intersects with red. If you made a left here, you could climb up the fireroad a bit, and make a left which might be hard to see back into the singletrack to finish this loop and end up where you started it. Instead of doing that short loop though, go kind of straight across the fireroad and take yellow for a short bit. In a few hundred yards, make a right onto some unmarked singletrack that has a shorty rocky descent.

Follow this trail, and it eventually dumps you back near yellow. Making a left where it dumps you out puts you on yellow (don't do that). Instead, make a right onto the doubletrack, and then a quick left onto the singletrack. Follow this around for a bit, and keep your eye out for a left turn down some switchbacks. There is a small pile of rocks there. If you miss this turn, it puts you back on the doubletrack heading toward yellow where you came out before. The switchback descent crosses some water at the bottom (after crossing the red trail which you could take out to reservoir dr), and then you make a left to do a switchback climb. It crosses an old fall line trail a few times. At the top it crosses yellow, and you want to go straight over some small logs that look like they are blocking off the trail (so don't take yellow in either direction).

When you come out to an area with a small pond, ride the little skinny spot to the right of the pond where there are some rocks put down. Then you climb up the rest of the way almost to the top. You eventually dump out on yellow again, make a right and then you are at the very top. Go past the lookout and stay right of the yellow fireroad. Look for a switchback descent. If you miss it, you could go down yellow a bit and make a left, as the descent crosses yellow not too far down. You'll eventually end up on yellow. From here I would make a left on yellow, and follow that back to red. Left on red and back to the car.

There's more here, but this will give you a good overview if you can follow it. Odds of that without a tour or Garmin are slim to nil though.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions