Hello ya'll

Mom

Dr. Hott
Hi ya'll-
Kimrey (my better half) and I made it up here and are (mostly) settled in. We're looking to explore NJ's fabulous trails!

We're in Montclair- are there any trails close by that we can ride to? We got a little spoiled in Richmond, where we could ride to the city's best trails from our house.

So, a couple of things- is anyone up for a ride tomorrow- I start work on Friday. And, does anyone know about High Point State Park? If you Google "best state parks in NJ" it comes up. We're planning on going up there on the 21st or 22nd. Should we bring the bikes?

Speaking of state parks, we went to Ringwood on Sunday, looking for lake swimming. (It ended up being more like lake wading). But we saw a few mountain bikers and they said that Ringwood has some amazing trails...something about races there?

Thanks!

D

DANSPANK

Heeeeey!! Montclair's only just up the road from me. And there's a load of people living in Clifton on here too.

Have a look at the trail directory - click the link in the menu bar above ↑, you'll see loads of trails in the area. As our unofficial tag line goes; NJ has big boulders up top and is smooth and groove below. So if you want mr. technical then northern NJ is your friend. Flowy stuff tends to be central NJ.

Look out for group rides announced on the forum.

There - I think that's the most helpful I've ever been!

CrossAddict

Favorite State Park

Wawayanda all the way. 45min-1hour away from Montclair

There is mountain biking near montclair, but it is illegal, Essex co. has no legal mtbing. Splitrock aka wildcat ridge is good if you know someone who knows the trails, and there are a few places within a 20-30min drive. Ringwood is pretty good, and the tourne is small and well marked. Kitattinny is out on rt80 and is great for beginners. Just my thoughts.:)

-rf

Glancing Aft

Welcome to the site. For legal local riding you can check out High Mountain in Wayne.
Mountain biking in Ringwood is always a blast, a new trail was just put in this past weekend and it should be kick @$$ Definitely bring a trail map with you though, it can get confusing in there. Or keep your eyes out for a group ride!

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Welcome.

Welcome to the north, sorry about us kicking your asses during the civil war, I apologize on behalf of yankees everywhere:D

-Jim.

PS-Christian pre-warned us of your arrival. We are prepared.

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
welcome to the better half of the united states. things you wont have up here(i lived in VA too once, haha):

grits
scrapple
nice people(minus some of us on here)
nice roads
left turns
confederate flags(in most of the areas of new jersey, haha)
helicopters monitoring speed limits
pulled pork sandwiches

im sure i can think of plenty of other things too , but who cares. this is the place to be!!

C

ctanderson

Having lived in both places for some time now. New Jersey makes pulled pork
sandwiches as well as Virginia makes pizza.:p

kimrey

saying hello and leaving the party

CrashMD apologizes for saying hello and then leaving - she'll be back to the boards soon. For some reason they expect residents to actually be at the hospital.

Eileen

Hi ya'll-
Kimrey (my better half) and I made it up here and are (mostly) settled in. We're looking to explore NJ's fabulous trails!

We're in Montclair- are there any trails close by that we can ride to? We got a little spoiled in Richmond, where we could ride to the city's best trails from our house.

Thanks!

Heeeeeeeeyy I didn't realize you guys were on here too.

Nice to meet you guys yesterday - awesome ride. I'll definitely let you know when we do some more riding on the weekends. Usually to bigger and nicer places. Ringwood is definitely on the list.

In the next couple weeks we're going to be doing more local rides out of the shop too.

See you next week
:D

Mom

Dr. Hott
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I apologize for not paying attention to this- in between ACLS, PALS, and hospital orientation, I've been a little scattered. The good news is that if anyone goes into cardiac arrest while on a ride, I now know what to do.

Danspank, thank you for the overview- technical, north, flowy, south. Got it.

Eileen, it was great riding with you yesterday. We hope to ride with you next Thursday. Let me know when you and Tom are free on the weekend. Have fun with ski patrol certification!

So over the next 3 days, we'll be doing lots of biking. Not sure where we're gonna go on Saturday, but we're going to Ringwood on Sunday and Hartshorne/Huber Woods on Monday. If anyone wants to join us, we'd love your company. Email me or PM me.

The next block of time that I'll have is July 5-8. I'll keep my eye out for rides, but if you've got something planned, let me know!

ctanderson, we miss alla ya'll. How was XTerra? Oh, and try DaVinci's pizza in Church Hill, on 25th. Someone might try and sell you crack if you wait outside, but the pizza's the closest you'll get to proper NY pizza in VA. I would suggest calling ahead and picking it up. Unless you want to buy some crack.

Last edited:

Mom

Dr. Hott
welcome to the better half of the united states. things you wont have up here(i lived in VA too once, haha):

grits
scrapple
nice people(minus some of us on here)
nice roads
left turns
confederate flags(in most of the areas of new jersey, haha)
helicopters monitoring speed limits
pulled pork sandwiches

im sure i can think of plenty of other things too , but who cares. this is the place to be!!

You know what else I'm not finding, is grocery stores who also sell wine or beer. It's not too much of a bother, but it's weird- you can buy beer at gas stations in the South (which might explain a few things).

They have "Brew-thrus" in the Outer Banks- you drive in and buy beer without ever getting out of your car. It's their version of the gas attendants up here. http://www.brewthru.com/index.cfm

I do miss the grits and the nice roads. The helicopters not so much. As for the pulled pork sandwich, you have to go to NC for the real stuff. Or go to a Cuban restaurant.

The people by and large, have been very nice. We're glad to be here.

Top Bottom