Have Lights List

njkayaker

I came up on 2 young teenage girls back on the trails in the dark with a tiny flashlight. I freaked them out and it was funny as hell. They started to run to the right. then to the left. Then they split right and left

Last edited:

WinTaper

I rode Allaire on Wed. 11/4. After it got dark, I must have seen no less than 20 riders out with lights out on the trails - was there some sort of organized night ride going on?

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
I'm in the Market for a set of lights (helmet & bar mount) I have a VERY old set Capers blessed me with 8 years ago but I need something new.

trener1

I love my Cygolites. I think a 700-800 lumen on the helmet and 400 on the bars and you will be good to go.
If you want to spend a bit more 2 700's and you will be set.
They run about 1.5 hours on high, longer on medium and you can get extra batteries if you do longer rides

bm1981

Thinking about getting into night rides, just not sure how much light is too much or more importantly whats not enough. Do most people ride with lights on the helmet and bars? or just helmet and add in the bar light later. For NJ trials do you really need the 3K lumen big boys or are 2 smaller lights better?

bm1981

Thinking about getting into night rides, just not sure how much light is too much or more importantly whats not enough. Do most people ride with lights on the helmet and bars? or just helmet and add in the bar light later.

For NJ trials do you really need the 3K lumen big boys or are 2 smaller lights better? I was looking at the light and motion taz 1500 $250 but would still need a helmet light as I think this light is only a bar mount.

Or are the china cheap-o's on amazon worth a purchase for a season?

There is just too much info out there.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have three of these:
https://www.amazon.com/NiteRider-Lumina-750-Bike-Light/dp/B00LEWKHCE?th=1

You can either run it just on your helmet on high, or do the bars/helmet combo with both on medium. They say 1.5 hours for the battery on high, but I regularly get closer to two hours. They used to come with both bar and helmet mounts, but it looks like you need to buy the helmet mount separately now. The 750 is a few years old which means they are relatively cheap for an all in one unit.

Supermoto

Thinking about getting into night rides, just not sure how much light is too much or more importantly whats not enough. Do most people ride with lights on the helmet and bars? or just helmet and add in the bar light later.

For NJ trials do you really need the 3K lumen big boys or are 2 smaller lights better? I was looking at the light and motion taz 1500 $250 but would still need a helmet light as I think this light is only a bar mount.

Or are the china cheap-o's on amazon worth a purchase for a season?

There is just too much info out there.

I use a 3K lumen (Trail torch 3000)on my helmet. The great thing about it, is I can run 800/1500/3000 depending on where and what I am riding. tight narrow stuff, I run lower power. Start hitting the downhills or getting up to 20mph on singletrack, I like it on 3K. I run a cateye 800 on the bars to fill in the area right in front of me.
The great thing about a super bright light is you can turn it down. Can't make a cheap light brighter

trener1

Get yourself 2 700-800 lights, one on the bars one on the helmet and you are good to go.
I use Cygolites which I really like, they are a good company that will back their products, also as others have already mentioned, Niterider is also really good.

bm1981

I pulled the trigger last nigh on 2 Light and Motion urban 800's Amazon had them for $82 and each comes w/ a handlebar and helmet mount.... giddy up

They should be here today, and I will in some way or another ride them tomorrow night.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I pulled the trigger last nigh on 2 Light and Motion urban 800's Amazon had them for $82 and each comes w/ a handlebar and helmet mount.... giddy up

They should be here today, and I will in some way or another ride them tomorrow night.

you'll be happy with these. easy to strap on and no hot spot with the light. i use one on the bars when i do road rides or on the helmet for mtb (with a different light on the bars).

Top Bottom