Have Lights List

one piece crank

I'm still running an original Magicshine, and two magicshine clones. I put diffuser lenses on the clones and they have a nice wide beam pattern. My original MS is the distance beam. Typically I only run one light, but I just rigged up a helmet mount. The only issue I've had is battery maintenance - you have to keep on top of these or you'll loose them...

It would be nice to get rid of the cords, but it's also nice update the battery when needed.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I'm still running an original Magicshine, and two magicshine clones. I put diffuser lenses on the clones and they have a nice wide beam pattern. My original MS is the distance beam. Typically I only run one light, but I just rigged up a helmet mount. The only issue I've had is battery maintenance - you have to keep on top of these or you'll loose them...

It would be nice to get rid of the cords, but it's also nice update the battery when needed.

This fall will be my first real attempt at any "late afternoon" riding so I don't have much to go on but I think getting the battery in your pack or a jersey pocket reduces the weight on the helmet. Yeah, cords suck but I'll take them over a sore neck. I've really taken a liking to pack-less riding so I'll have to dust off the ole backpack for night rides...

one piece crank

Specialized has their Flux lights on clearance to $112. Not the pattern I need, but not a bad deal?

Flux.jpeg
Elite.jpeg

rlb

I just went all in and bought a couple of Outbound Lighting lights. I have only used one once but initial impressions were very good. You can attach them with a GoPro mount if you swap out the rubber band mount. From what I understand the Niterider lights lose output rapidly as the battery depletes. I want to say the lumen output is like half of what it starts at within 30 minutes. MTBR has some good comparisons and data on these things.

I like my road light. What did you get?

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I like my road light. What did you get?

I got one of each (Downhill package). I have only tried the road light so far but it beats the pants off my cheap Magicshine clone I bought off Amazon.

Reactions: rlb

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe Magicshine is not what it once was, but they paved the way for bigger manufacturers to develop cost affective lights. Prior to Magicshine's you were spending ~$500 on a light package. Cost drop would have happened eventually, but I think Magicshine made it happen faster.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
but they paved the way for bigger manufacturers to develop cost affective lights.

Agree 100%. If I was looking to buy lights right now, I would probably buy 2-3 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FKT3NT

It looks like a miniature version of the ones I currently use, which solves my only complaint about them: they are a bit heavy on the helmet. In fact, at $55, I might just buy one to try out.

Ok, I bought one, will post a review once I use it.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Agree 100%. If I was looking to buy lights right now, I would probably buy 2-3 of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FKT3NT

It looks like a miniature version of the ones I currently use, which solves my only complaint about them: they are a bit heavy on the helmet. In fact, at $55, I might just buy one to try out.

Ok, I bought one, will post a review once I use it.
I'm pretty sure I have that exact model. It's good. I use it on the helmet because no wires, and Magichine MJ872 on the bars.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm pretty sure I have that exact model. It's good. I use it on the helmet because no wires, and Magichine MJ872 on the bars.

Cool, I have three of the old ones and am a big fan. Hopefully this one is noticeable lighter. No wires is the way to go.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cool, I have three of the old ones and am a big fan. Hopefully this one is noticeable lighter. No wires is the way to go.

Can I check to see if the NiteRider mount works with my Cycloving light?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have 2 Lumina 750s and love them. Might try out a Lumina 1200 for this winter.
I have the Lumina 1100 and it’s awesome. Will probably buy a second this season. Only have one season on the other so we’ll see how the battery decays...

thegock

Ran the usual set up last night on wet, local roots and rocks. Cheap, amazon, chinese light with the six cell battery on the top tube running on 50%, which might be 400 or 500 lumens. Cateye Volt at 783 lumens on the helmet. (see post #277 above, noting that I carry fewer backup lights on local trails and have been through a couple of batteries in the last four years for the bar light) As usual, they lasted for a couple of hours and made great reflections off the rising fog.

Ran into Tony and rode with him for a couple of miles. He has a more expensive, high line set up. We were both happy with the amount of light.

Ran the front and rear blinkies OTWH.

Mahnken

I use this guy on the local trails:
Screenshot_20180927-080110.png

It works pretty good. Never used it for more than two hours, but it lasts at least that long.
MVIMG_20180823_054849.jpg

RobW

i really enjoy my Lights & Motion Urban 650 on the bars, buying another for the the helmet. i found the wired lights with battery pack, i do not like all of the wires everywhere. the urban 650 is bright enough and gives me enough light for a few back and forth rides to work in the dark or a 2 hour ride in the trails with a full charge.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
At night on the road/paths I use a couple year old cateye volt 1200 on the bars with a L&M vis 360 on the helmet. Low and Med setting are plenty bright with decent run time....

For the trail I go nuclear. A pair of L&M Seca 2000’s Race on the helmet (battery in pack or jersey pocket) Enduro on the bars. Ain’t nothing gonna sneak-up on me.

Dirt Dawg

Is anybody out there interested in a Trail Tech SCMR16 Kit with a dead battery.
I have a complete set up, original box, light, case, battery mount, charger, some extra mounts etc, all ready to list it on E-Bay, but if somebody on the forum is interested, let me know. Everything works, but the battery will only hold a charge for about 5 minutes (or less LOL). $40.00 and its yours. I can meet you at Ringwood, Sterling, Skyline Dr, or Jungle Trail Head.

RobW

Ordered a rear light, a Knog Blinder Mob Mr V Chips on @stb222 ’s recommendation. Seems really bright, couldn’t imagine any more lumens in the rear. Also picked up another Urban 650 for the dome.

one piece crank

I picked-up a 7800mAh battery with rubber pads and velco straps to mount on the top tube. This feeds my bar-mounted, flood pattern Magicshine clone (diffuser lens widens the pattern). My old battery is now in my camelback to feed a helmet-mounted, spot pattern Magicshine. With both on high it's really more light than I need. If it wasn't I was consideing a splitter to run two lighs on the bars + one on the helmet.

Top Bottom