Hasenclever Trail

Kaleidopete

That pre-2005 pic was at a pretty high water level. New bridge should handle that from the looks of it. The reservoir could really use some of that water now.

So, did you get your ramps?
Nope...no ramps. No stairs yet either, the material is there waiting to be built.

Mildly Wild

Nope...no ramps. No stairs yet either, the material is there waiting to be built.
I stopped to look at this on T-Day. Very nice.
I parked along side the gate on Greenwood Lake Turnpike and rode in about a half mile to get to it. When I came back I noticed a "No Parking Anytime" sign (with a tow truck picture included) by the gate that I hadn't noticed when I parked. Where do you park to access this?

Kaleidopete

I stopped to look at this on T-Day. Very nice.
I parked along side the gate on Greenwood Lake Turnpike and rode in about a half mile to get to it. When I came back I noticed a "No Parking Anytime" sign (with a tow truck picture included) by the gate that I hadn't noticed when I parked. Where do you park to access this?
Park right at the Iron works reception center on Greenwood Lake Turnpike and ride around the buildings on the trails there.

huffster

The stairs are in...
IMG_2906.JPG

Kaleidopete

Here’s an update on the Longpond Ironworks bridge over the Wanaque river.
Strange how they group ATV’s and Bicycles together and don’t mention Motorcycles.
This is their Spring 2017 newsletter
Longpond bike ban.jpg

gingertooth

Its amazing to realize that this bridge has been out for over 5 years. I believe a grant was funded 2+ years ago. It will be very nice to have that crossing restored.
I know right? If mtbrs were in charge of this trail system the bridge would have been rebuilt 5 yrs ago....this area leads into the s finest mtbn sterling forest has to offer. Beautiful area back there

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Ny / NJ Trail Conference Spring 2017 newsletter about the bridge

Attachments

• Trail Conf spring 2017_2.pdf
    328.3 KB · Views: 369

Kaleidopete

Saturday was the dedication ceremony for the new bridge over the Wanaque river in the Longpond Ironworks state park.
It got destroyed seven years ago by hurricane Irene and it has taken this long to get it rebuilt. It is an important bridge
because it is part of the Highlands trail and also the trailhead for the multi-use Hasenclever Iron trail that runs from
Longpond Ironworks to Ringwood Manor, and the Sterling Ridge trail, and the Hewitt-Butler Trail,
Last year I called the NYNJTC to complain about how long it was taking to repair this bridge. I spoke to the director,
Peter Dolan, who informed me they were working on it this week and he asked if I would like to help. I had opened my big mouth,
and so I said sure, I would help. I worked with the crew for two days, lifting the side braces and getting them in place across the river.
There were only about six or seven of us working on it. Most workers were either paid, or NYNJTC people.
I arrived today wearing my JORBA shirt and introduced myself to Peter Dolen, who actually remembered me.
He in turn introduced me to Mark Texel, the Director of New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry. And also to
Paul Frost, Longpond Ironworks coordinator, and also to Josh Osowski, Northern Regional Superintendent.
I was introduced as a volunteer that helped build the bridge and also as a member of JORBA and the mountain biking community.
I mentioned how great it is that all of us as trail users are coming together to build and maintain the local trails, including Sterling Forest
and Wawayanda. I thought it was kind of fun being there with these guys and showing support for their work as well as the mountain
biking community. I did mention the situation of accessing the Hasenclever Iron trailhead at the bridge, with the dilemma of not being
allowed to ride a bike in Longpond Ironworks state park. Hmmm, I said, is it OK to arrive at Longpond and walk the bike the 1/4 mile to
the trailhead. There wasn’t really a response other than “that might work”. We’ll have to look into that. I mentioned how even the Appellation
trail has multi-use sections. I had a great day and we all had good stories. One from Mark Texel was when he was hiking at Allamuchy with his
family he was slightly lost and looking over his map, when a mountain biker came by and offered his help. Mark was pleasantly surprised by
the courteous biker and thanked him and never told him that he was the Director New Jersey Division of Parks and Forestry. Ha!

Longpond dedi peep.jpg

Longpond dedicat07.jpg

Longpond dedicat03.jpg

Longpond dedic08.jpg

Longpond tr mark06.jpg

huffster

I like the sound of this. Can you clarify a little? If you can't yet, I understand. Hasenclever currently runs between LPIW thru Tranquility Ridge and over to Ringwood Manor. Would this connector trail from Back Beach to Jungle first be going north/south toward Ringwood and then east/west to head toward Ringwood (east) and Jungle (west).

FYI, I'm working on permission for a connecting trail from Back Beach is Haskell to Jungle. I'm looking to completely to mostly avoid using the Hasenclever. And the Hasenclever itself is due to be rerouted away from Peters Mine.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions