Hasenclever Trail

Kaleidopete

This trail is in Long Pond Ironworks State Park in West Milford, but it falls under Ringwood State Park jurisdiction. I posted some pictures of the Ironworks grounds in weekend photos 12/20/15. @soundz
There is a bridge that was destroyed in 2011 that connects the Ironworks to LOTS of trails across the Wanaque River. Today I found access to those trails from Beach Rd., which is across from the boat launch for Monksville Reservoir. The trails start at what is known as Tranquility Ridge on Beach Rd.
I rode it today to the spot across the Wanaque River where I was recently. These trails are not well maintained because access is very limited, but they are very rideable even with a few blowdowns that you can hike around. My ride was a short one today because of the rain, but I just wanted to confirm the trail was still there. In the beginning there is a stream to cross, not too bad. These trails look interesting for those that like to explore. I also called Ringwood Park to confirm the trails are biker friendly and they confirmed it.

Here is a link with pictures, map and description.
http://gonehikin.blogspot.com/2014/06/long-pond-ironworks-state-park-nj-big.html

Last edited:

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Nice Pete! I've kayaked to LPIW from the boat launches and hiked around in there . Never taken my bike though. That'd be fun to explore. Of course will all this rain, perhaps the kayak is the better bet :D

huffster

The NY/NJ trail conference map for Sterling Forest shows many of the unmarked trails in Tranqulity Ridge. Certain spots can get a little confusing up there. At some point I'll get the Sterling Forest map on Maprika. Another approach to deal with the missing bridge in LPIW is to go up thru Jennings Hollow. There are a bunch of quad trails in that western section of LPIW, too. Those are not really shown on the map. Also, to the south side of East Shore Rd, there are trails coming up around Green Turtle Pond. A link between Jungle and Ringwood can be made, but not all of it is "acceptable" bike use. One of the obstacles is by Peter's Mine, which, though passable, is technically closed (since forever). Anyway, there is a lot of good exploration in that area. Enjoy!

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There is a bridge that was destroyed in 2011 that connects the Ironworks to LOTS of trails across the Wanaque River. Today I found access to those trails from Beach Rd., which is across from the boat launch for Monksville Reservoir. The trails start at what is known as Tranquility Ridge on Beach Rd.

The NY/NJ trail conference map for Sterling Forest shows many of the unmarked trails in Tranqulity Ridge. Certain spots can get a little confusing up there. At some point I'll get the Sterling Forest map on Maprika. Another approach to deal with the missing bridge in LPIW is to go up thru Jennings Hollow. There are a bunch of quad trails in that western section of LPIW, too. Those are not really shown on the map. Also, to the south side of East Shore Rd, there are trails coming up around Green Turtle Pond. A link between Jungle and Ringwood can be made, but not all of it is "acceptable" bike use. One of the obstacles is by Peter's Mine, which, though passable, is technically closed (since forever). Anyway, there is a lot of good exploration in that area. Enjoy!

Going through Jennings Hollow:

https://www.strava.com/activities/10050812
https://connect.garmin.com/activity/79563273

Jennings Creek crossings:

270865_819639673368_837708578_n.jpg

206167_819639613488_1266102330_n.jpg

Crossing Wanaque River:

551792_814685626318_1493315122_n.jpg

I highly recommend PDF maps app and pay for the NYNJTC maps. I guess you could ghetto it with Maprika if you already have the physical maps, but I think this is worthwhile if you do a lot of exploring.

http://www.nynjtc.org/pdfmaps

huffster

I've done that crossing by the rope. It's a challenge. If you go further north up yellow to the top part of the loop, its a much easier crossing. Nice pics and thanks for the tips on the PDF maps.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
My backyard. I have to say I'm not too enamored of the trails in tranquility ridge. Mostly woods roads and quad trails. What interests me is the connections we can make. Ringwood onto Ramapo, looping in the new stuff we're working on in Sterling it could be epic. Down the road Lake to Lake in Sterling would be a great multi-use. Crossing Jenning Hollow on the north end is still best. But you can head further west up and over the mountain before turning south. You can pop out on East Shore Road right by the bridge over the Wanaque. Some real nice terrain back in there. Going the over way, once you hit Peters Mine, turn left north and go around that way completely avoiding the superfund site.
Tranquillity is Passaic county property but it's managed by Sterling Forest.

Anyone want to take the lead and develop MTB trails here?

liong71er

This trail is in Long Pond Ironworks State Park in West Milford, but it falls under Ringwood State Park jurisdiction. I posted some pictures of the Ironworks grounds in weekend photos 12/20/15. @soundz
I rode it today to the spot across the Wanaque River where I was recently. These trails are not well maintained because access is very limited, but they are very rideable even with a few blowdowns that you can hike around. My ride was a short one today because of the rain, but I just wanted to confirm the trail was still there. In the beginning there is a stream to cross, not too bad. These trails look interesting for those that like to explore. I also called Ringwood Park to confirm the trails are biker friendly and they confirmed it. Here are a few photos.

The bridge was here to the Ironworks

Here is a link with pictures, map and description.
http://gonehikin.blogspot.com/2014/06/long-pond-ironworks-state-park-nj-big.html

Lots of good stuff there.
I saw millions of crows hanging around by superfund site when I bypassing woods roads there and met two guys was cutting woods in unmarked trails.i think they are Jackson white clan.certainly not red neck or hillbilly.who knows.very spooky..

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of good stuff there.
I saw millions of crows hanging around by superfund site when I bypassing woods roads there and met two guys was cutting woods in unmarked trails.i think they are Jackson white clan.certainly not red neck or hillbilly.who knows.very spooky..

Did they have 6 fingers on their left hand?

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
"Until the 1970s, the tribe was frequently referred to as the "Jackson Whites," a derogatory and racist term,[17]"

huffster

Its amazing to realize that this bridge has been out for over 5 years. I believe a grant was funded 2+ years ago. It will be very nice to have that crossing restored.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions