Has anyone taken a bikepacking trip through NJ?

rlb

I read the salsa blog here and there and it always makes me wonder if NJ would be a good place for this sort of riding. I don't have any real experience or know any stories to prove this either way. I know there are various "rail trail" type connectors throughout the state (most notably both D&R branches) that can help this out. Has anyone ever put together a good string of 2-3 days of riding which minimizes pavement time?

I particularly like that "Path" trail. I guess you could camp there if you had to...

I'm trying to come up with similar routes on the East side of the Hudson, it's a long way out of Manhattan to any proper campsites! :D

Thanks for this info I will go through the mutant century thread. The nerd in me is probably going to throw all of this onto one map, so stay tuned. But don't hold your breath.

I particularly like that "Path" trail. I guess you could camp there if you had to...

As soon as stb releases his "riding on water" video I'm going to scope out that section.

we're taking a trip on the canal south this sunday, gonna try to make it to philly on bikes after the winter. i have to research it a bit more but it looks like the canal will take you most of the way

OK, this answer is a bit off topic but the Greenbriar Trail in West Virginia is tops for that. There is an outfitter there who will do a shuttle for you. It is a nice laid back trip, camp anywhere along the trail. You go through a couple of small towns for resupply. Marlington is one of those towns. Take the kids.

It's on my old hard drive, which has yet to be ripped out of my old, busted computer. If you click on it, you can get a higher resolution version from my flickr account. The green tangle of trails are all from Mahlon to Berkshire Valley Rd, and the white lines connect that to Minisink Park, Stephens, Deer Park Allamuchy, Kittatiny, Waywayanda, and Farny State Park, with a bunch of WMA's in between. It mostly just crosses roads, but occasionally travels down them for a couple of miles. The red lines are the Paulinskill, Sussex Branch and Lackawana Cutoff, which make a nice @80 mile loop out to PA.

Clicking on the higher res image, and spending some time in google earth looking at terrain features(their photos have changed) should allow you to figure out where most of those trails are, but there about 5,000 wrong turns you could make. Luckily it's New Jersey, and a wrong turn would see you lost in the wilderness or falling into a crevasse or anything.

Last edited:
I may actually have some of these on the PC at home. There's no way I'll remember when I get home. But I just wanted you to know that small bit of useless information.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom